Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Hi all,
i've just had an interesting chat with a friend (you know who you are) and i just wanted to get your feedback.
i was going to use the word Nazi and was correctly told that i should "think carefully" before using it, now i understand that this word can cause offence to some people. the context that i was going to use the word was so and so was a Nazi, in a factual way not an offensive way.
so to cut to the chase, does this word still cause offence? are you not bothered? should the word be banned? or is it just a word?

If any of my mod type chummies don't like this topic, i understand and please feel free to delete.

all the best dudes and dudettes, JuvUK

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Re: WARNING MAY OFFEND!

*cough*

If the Elected Pope can be a Nazi, why should it make any difference?

It's only a word Juzzer, & if pork is strictly out of your diet, isn't it time you moved on!? :roll:

Kin

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

If the person who is reffered to is a Nazi, and hold nazi ideals. Certainly not. It's then just factual and accurate.

Gray areas are when I call you an amiga nazi affectually. If we know eachother well, and you know that it's said with affection, you laugh. If your family tree lost most of it's trunk some 60 - 70 years ago, you might mentally black list me.

Obvious, but simple. Call a spade a spade, and use tese terms carefully in jest.

We all love the soup nazi.

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce

It's just a word now, a meaningless one in these times.
I have nothing against seeing/using it and IMHO the more we pay attention to it's previous "value", the more we are encouraging those few idiots who still believe in it.
I've got nothing against learning about history (although I hate history class ;)) but we should just move on and forget some things...

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Nazi, Stasi, Fascist, these are all words that are mis-quoted these days, particularly about traffic wardens; I wonder why...... :roll: :LOL:

@ JuvUK

Could you please PM me the gist of the matter, so that I can understand where this is possibly headed...??

Thanks

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

My take on it..

Any word should be taken in the context of the whole statement.
If a word "may" cause offence and there is a suitable alternative then this may save the hassle of explaining yourself later.
What is accepted in your own culture may be looked at differently by someone from a different backgroud - so caution is probably the best way forward.
Sometimes it is our familiarity with eachother which allows us to put things without offending - but not everybody knows us that well.

and finally there is always someone who is over-sensitive to certain subjects, so it is inevitable we upset ocassionally (you can't win them all!)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

imnogeek said:
My take on it..

Any word should be taken in the context of the whole statement.
If a word "may" cause offence and there is a suitable alternative then this may save the hassle of explaining yourself later.
What is accepted in your own culture may be looked at differently by someone from a different backgroud - so caution is probably the best way forward.
Sometimes it is our familiarity with eachother which allows us to put things without offending - but not everybody knows us that well.

and finally there is always someone who is over-sensitive to certain subjects, so it is inevitable we upset ocassionally (you can't win them all!)

well put bud! :D

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

/Merlin thinks imnogeek has been cribbing from the rules for General Chat......

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

imnogeek said:

Yeah imnogeek. It's a bit like not being able to show certain TV adverts at certain times of the Day!

"No, you can't show the advert of the Plumber using his 10" Stilsons, as my 3 year old might mimick him & twist his own head clean off". :roll:

The vernacular in which it is meant is the real issue with any word usage. Problem is, most folk take it the wrong way! :wink:

PM Merlin Juzzer, for a "pre-nuptual"; - So to speak!

Kin

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Kin Hell said:
imnogeek said:

Yeah imnogeek. It's a bit like not being able to show certain TV adverts at certain times of the Day!

No, you can't show the advert of the Plumber using his 10" Stilsons...... Problem is, most folk take it the wrong way! :wink:

Kin

Kin Hell, taking a 10" Stilson wrench 'the wrong way'....... now that's summat I would pay good money to see.......

The prosecution rests........ :wink:

fnarr!!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ ing

This is the bit where you wonder if pressing the submit button was worth it! :wink: :LOL:

Kin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom