Way to connect old equipment to new TV

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
I have an LCD Samsung HDTV that lacks the older composite and S-vid. But of course, I have a myriad of game systems with only up to composite or S-vid. Whats the cheapest way to convert them to HDMI? I can't afford an HD receiver, not do I have the space, so whats a good way. For the past year, I have used an old RF modulator to connect them to antenna, but I'm tired of cruddy picture and mono sound. It has to work for NES to N64 era machines

dibs

Danger!! Mines!!
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Guildford
I have an LCD Samsung HDTV that lacks the older composite and S-vid. But of course, I have a myriad of game systems with only up to composite or S-vid. Whats the cheapest way to convert them to HDMI? I can't afford an HD receiver, not do I have the space, so whats a good way. For the past year, I have used an old RF modulator to connect them to antenna, but I'm tired of cruddy picture and mono sound. It has to work for NES to N64 era machines

Assuming you also have a good old VGA input, I use and would recommend one of these... a Gadmei XGA/VGA LCD TV BOX which takes composite and S-VIDEO up to VGA. Spec is like this...

• Highest resolution: 1280 X 1024 /75Hz
  • Resolution rate up to 800*600, 1024*768 or 1280*1024
  • Refresh rate up to 60Hz or 75Hz
  • Compatible with LCD/CRT monitors, PDP and Projectors
  • This TV BOX is a high quality digital colour PCTV, with 24 bits true colour picture
  • Unique MMI AV Cable can be connected with DVD/PS2/XBOX/Game CUBE/VCR
basically it works well with 4:3 ratio monitors - the picture will be stretched if yours is a widescreen monitor.

Converting to HDMI can be done, but is pricey. The box above is ~£35, but a standalone HDMI converter will set you back something in the region of £2-300.

Regards,

dibs

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
You didn't mention if you have a SCART connector.

I doubt you have it since you don't have the S-Video or Composite, but you might be lucky. The SCART has the S-Video and Composite.

Sometimes the S-Video and Composite are in the side, not in the back of the TV (I just want to make sure you haven't missed it)

Which model is it you have ?

Else the worst alternative is using the FM Modulator..

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
He's in the US, so unlikely to have a SCART at all.

The VGA upscaler box is probably the best bet, to be honest.

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
You didn't mention if you have a SCART connector.

I doubt you have it since you don't have the S-Video or Composite, but you might be lucky. The SCART has the S-Video and Composite.

Sometimes the S-Video and Composite are in the side, not in the back of the TV (I just want to make sure you haven't missed it)

Which model is it you have ?

Else the worst alternative is using the FM Modulator..

Yeah, we don't have scart over here (Dumb NTSC basterds)

So, since I play my Dreamcast a lot, I think I will invest in a VGA box for that for now, I'll tackle this problem when I have more $

gavilan

Amiga user & abuser since 1988
AmiBayer
Country
Argentina
Region
Buenos Aires
My friend: have you considered this: http://gear.ign.com/articles/358/358098p1.html

I now, they are hard to find, and the best place to find them is Japan. If my mind is correct, we have here a member living there..maybe he can find out where to get them??

They seem to be a cool alternative...
Just my 2 cents

Sebastian

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Wow, no SCART in the US? I am amazed you lot were missed out and actually I never knew about that, I couldn't possibly think of a world without SCART. :eek:

I guess you learn something new everyday.

Last edited:

Firthy2002

DF0:NDOS
AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I am a bit surprised there wouldn't be at least one S-Video input on there.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
Wow, no SCART in the US? I am amazed you lot were missed out and actually I never knew about that, I couldn't possibly think of a world without SCART. :eek:

I guess you learn something new everyday.

I totally agree

Who is this General Error, and why is he reading my disk ?

Top Bottom