Weird CDTV behaviour - power / ROM / ... ?

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
Hi folks
I've just got my CDTV out to finally try to get the thing working nicely as a WHDLoad machine.

Still not quite there with it... It simply refuses to play nicely in a variety of ways.

If you have a short attention span, find another thread :D . If you're up for a challenge, grab a coffee/tea and read on (y)

I have a CDTV with CDTV2SCSI card.
I have KS1.2, KS1.3, 2.04 and 3.1 chips for it.
I have CDTV ROMs v1.0 and 2.3

First problem: orange welcome screen with 2.3 ROMS.
The output of the 2.3ROMS, if I leave it to go to the CDTV welcome screen, has an orange output / black background. The odd thing is that it initially is fine, then .1 of a second later it drops to this orangey colour.

(This is on the RGB port, standard amiga 23 pin thing)

I've changed the power supply, changed the output board: still the same.

If I boot the machine from CD or floppy, it's fine. If I switch into the settings menu then go back to the main screen, it's fine. It's just the initial screen fades through to orange on first boot.

I've tried KS 1.3,2.04 and 3.1: all the same...

I think it might be the ROMS, but that sounds odd to me. Any clues?

2nd Problem: SCSI to IDE ACARD doesn't work with inbuilt power supply... But works fine with a PC power supply running it!
I have a CDTV2SCSI, an ACARD 7720u bridge, and an IDE 2 CF.

If I plug everything in, the device isn't recognised, the disk isn't recognised.

If I power the ACARD and the IDE2CF off an external power supply, it all works perfectly.

If I use a standard 3.5" SCSI drive, off the CDTV power supply, all is good. The SCSI drive will take significantly more power than the adaptor and CF.

I've tried a new PSU for the CDTV: same. Tried all combos of Kickstart (1.3/2.04/3.1) with all the ROMs (1.0/2.3): same. Found that it would boot (off the external power) with a 1.3 and 1.0 combo, too...

...BUT NOT WITH THE CDTVs POWER SUPPLY!

Any ideas before I go mad? I am guessing it's something to do with grounding, but can't find out what. I've tried all combos of termination, too: the one that works with the external PSU is term power on/termination on.

All advice gratefully received!

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:51 ----------

OK, problem #1: reseated denise (which is where some track damage had occurred previously) - it's gone away.

Problem #2 is still there. Damn, that's the one I really want to sort.

Have reseated all chips :(

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
Hmm, curiouser and curiouser!

My board claims to be a rev2.3, however it has a set of pads labelled JP2 on the second expansion bay, and there's a patch wire going there. Never seen one of these on anything else, so I removed it :D

Still no go on the booting, but everything still works.

Odd.

hikey

Country
Bristol, UK
Region
avon
Are you sure you've sorted out the orange screen problem....??
As that is normal with 2.3 ROMS!
There's also another anomoly with the 2.3 roms, in which that you will sometimes get a brief 'red screen' when powered on without the floppy drive attached.

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
No, lo and behold the orange screen came back. What's truly weird is it disappeared for a few power cycles. I wish I knew why :D

I have never seen that documented as standard behaviour...

Top Bottom