Weird FPU related pattern strangeness...

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hey there!

I received a Blizzard 1230Mk4 + SCSI Kit today that will be replacing my old Typhhon MK2.

Anyway popped her in the Tower (changed the config jumper on the mediator) and fired he up. All working fine, 96mb of Ram (64+32 as thats all I have at the moment) and she's running fine however...

I didn't have background picture anymore, I tried to update the pattern prefs and nothing but .gif images would work.

Since the Bliz didn't have an FPU I thought maybe that was the problem so I stole the FPU off the Typhhon and installed on the Blizzard.

And yay, now the .jpg and .png backgrounds work! But I was just thinking thats really strange why you'd need an FPU for a background image?

My other slight worry is I've no idea what speed rating the FPU is, it was on my 40mhz Typhoon running pretty warm so maybe 50mhz will be too much? All the writing has come off the card :whistle:

Guess I could pop a small heat sink on there for good measure.

Steve.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Steve

The FPU from your Typhoon (Taifun & Taifun Lite) should be a 40Mhz compatible unit - at 50mhz (a 25% overclock), there shouldn't be any problems, the 40Mhz and 50Mhz 68882 PGA's are the same DIE i believe.

if you can pop on a small heatsink, then by all means too, the cooler a chip runs the more efficent it will process.

Now, the reason you need an FPU is to help decode .jpg images - there exists some integer based engines for this, but the FPU is essentially quicker - a 32bit integer engine V's an 80bit Floating point engine.... the latter Pwns =D

Personally save the Processing Cycles and slap the image in an IFF or BitMap format =D

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks Zetr0!

I quite like to know that I am actually using the FPU and not just having it for the bling factor lol :cool:

I'll get a small heat sink on it (y)

By the way, any idea what Windows picture editing apps support .IFF? So I can convert? Or should I just do in UAE?

Steve.

colmiga

Still tinkering with Amiga's
AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Brisbane
Background images on Workbench are decoded via Datatypes. It is possible you have a JPEG and PNG Datatype installed that is optimized for an FPU.

Can you check you SYS:Classes/Datatypes drawer for the JPEG and PNG Datatype files and let us know the versions and file sizes?

Top Bottom