What are your "l33t Sk1llZ".....??

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
This is one of those thread starting posts where I really wonder where it will lead and I may live to regret, but who dares wins, and all that....

A comment made by merlinkv >>here<< make mention of the incredible skills on here. This actually made me wonder just how incredible...

On the site staff, we have, for example:-

A sky-diver (SdG), a guitarist and circuit board designer (TheCorfiot), a professor of hacknology (Zetr0), an air traffic controller (r0jaws), a University sysadmin (AndyLandy), a video editing guru (davideo), a plastics moulding engineer (rkauer) and a guitarist / industrial (al)chemist (yours truly).

So, what uber-l33t skillz do you have? Just how incredible is the range of skils and abilities we have on offer?

(Over-enjoyment of alcohol isn't a skill, so that doesn't count!) :LOL:

Let's see just how wide a wide range of people we have on AmiBay!!

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
it's always been my belief that EVERYONE has a skill or talent, and just because they don't have an "ology" it doesn't make them any less talented or important. If we were all rocket scientists we would be extinct.
so in short, are we all not equal?

JuvUK (average, normalish, non bigging up kinda guy)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I sell people, I am not a good salesperson, but I do score on understanding ICT skills so I am put on "crazy" accounts where the ICT manager takes the decisions.:whistle: So Basically they put me on the hopeless and "crazy" accounts, where I mange to sell:whistle: It's probably because I am a little out of he croud person as well..

I am very good in alcohol and like Duvel 8,8 % beers and wisky a lot as well (y) Oo that did not count..

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ JuvUK

There's nothing wrong in being normal. As you say, we can't all be brilliant. You forgot - your skill lies in Moderator baiting, doesn't it? ;)

@ Jimbo1979

Skills come in all shapes and sizes. (y)

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
Well, I guess I can go.
I don't work in the IT field, like I want to. I am a consultant and system builder, but to get a job here in IT, its all "who you know" not what you know.
My "skillz" come in the form of seeing things very differently than you average Joe. I have one of those insane memories, not exactly photographic, but close. When a problem presents itself, My brain goes into overdrive, thinking out possible scenarios. People hate going to the "dollar Store" with me, because I will pick up all sorts of "crap" for my "projects". I get a lot of phone calls from clients, just to brainstorm or hash out Ideas on different ways to do things. Troubleshooting is most of my work, because I will talk out all the possible ways of fixing a problem.
Because of this I consider myself more of a "Computer Historian" than anything else.
also, because I am overweight, I seem invisible to most people, -especially women :p

The best example I have for this is a documented "meeting" with a group of investors in 1991. I had told them of how the (upcoming) web was going to change everything. I had an auctioneer partner and proposed setting up an "Online" Auction house for a world wide Auction site. I also proposed "instant Messaging" and "instant TV" shows, stating the biggest hurdle was the modems at the time. They had laughed at me, stating that all this was pure BS to the point that I had left in disgust, But every so often I bump in to them now and they just shake their heads stating "if we only listened to you then.." Now, they want my "Ideas" all the time, but I refuse now.

Yea, its a pretty lame skill compared to the rest, but its something.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
It is something for sure. A pitty they did not take those ideas for starters.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
I'm a retired keyboardist (carpal tunnel syndrome :(), technical electrician (2° specialization), poet in a halt (yes, the blockage thing found me), cook (not a master), plastics engineer, basic/Z80 asm coder.

I'm pretty sure I forgot lots of things.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Electrician for 10 years.
@ HP for 14 years HW/SW support.

Last edited:

PymerOne

Noob pur sang
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands, Europe
Region
NoordHolland, Far side of civilisation's border.
my characterflaws that i am proud of include:
creating workarounds
reworking "garbage in" to an almost acceptable output
dying before giving up
having an awsome supply of knowledge and brainpower (this forum for instance)
and i am ever so humble ;)

Grtz, PymerOne.

Sam

software automated mouth
AmiBayer
Country
Italy
Region
Roma
Drawing?

Drawing?

I enjoy to do many things, but I think my natural talent is drawing, expecially real-life copy. I can do it quickly and quite exact :)

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire
Hi,

Not sure if you guys are interested but i have achieved the following over the last few years:

Co-Designed and built the new Datacenter at Heathrow Terminal 5. I worked for an APC gold partner and held the tender with BAA on Gatwick and Heathrow. The job involved project managing the power / cooling requirements and then putting 86 racks, 640kw of power / cooling solution together in 2 weeks. We were not responsible for the day 1 delays by the way, that was Hawkeye screwing up the baggage control system :)

Designed and rolled out the first video storage cluster for Channel 5 so that they could start to introduce online (like iplayer) type services. Again i PM`d it, designed and rolled out an Equallogic iSCSI san solution with site-site replication / de-dupe. Just over 300TB went in at the time, god knows what they`ve got now.

Always been involved with machines mainly, had a step-father who project managed stuff all over the world, we got to spend some of it with him. So didn`t really have a choice in careers, was brought up with it, otherwise it was going to be RAF for me! But i do get fed up of how machines have evolved now a days and the lock that the big vendors have on all of us. Oh i wish for a world full of miggy`s but we can`t change that eh, well maybe a little!

Nowadays? Well i`ve completely changed my hobbies, yes i still tinker with my Amiga 4000/040 and an A2000 but my main focus has shifted to Aquascaping. I`m off to Denmark next year to go see the pro`s and check out Japan`s finest Aquascaper Takashi Amano. Basically i`ve gone from Miggy`s to underwater glass gardens :) Strange? Nah it`s always good to have a change :) Day job wise i`m back to Small Biz consultancy as i got fed up with all the red tape in the enterprise world and besides i prefer to be more hands on than sitting around tables trying to get `facilities` and `IT` to talk together. I guess now i`m the chap that people come to when they can`t figure it out or fix their systems issues.

Cheers,

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
erm okay...my c.v is as follows lol

Former machine shop foreman,Administrator,Projects manager, PC systems builder and now a humble steel fabricator! (how times have changed)

Keen Apple user and i shun Windose at every opportunity ! Amiga enthusiast and strangely developing an urge to build a decent DOS machine. Although if i cant find a small ATX box, if not i will make one.

im already making a games room in the house yay!

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire
@ mjnurney - Being the keen apple user you don`t have any bootable system 7.5.5 floppies spare at all?

Cheers,

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Hi, no sorry I think I have classic 7 or 8 on cd but I downloaded it from apple to use on a g4. My old apple stuff has gone now sorry, all my apple os stuff is cd or DVD based...

Mraccess

Country
USA
Region
Virginia
I'm an accessibility software engineer/consultant -- I help organizations make their software and websites accessible to people with disabilities. A lot of my work now is in Adobe Flash and Flex, writing accessibility implementation code for different components, etc. Also, I write custom scripts for screen readers used by people who are blind/visually impaired.

Top Bottom