What bit of Retro kit should be next on my list?

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
Hi

I'd like to ask for a bit of friendly Amibayer advice about what retro kit you'd recommend for my working collection. I've realised I've got or have opinion of everything i could put on an A list! Yes... I've run a little bit out of inspiration! :) :(

So, suggestions please welcome what next to look at, add to that wishlist, so I can start saving. Above all I'd like to welcome some interesting suggestions of retro kit that I haven't got and might not have considered! I'm sure you have loads of ideas!

Before we kick off, I do have a limited budget, constrained by kids and wife and mortgage and.. some basic level of sanity. I have in my present collection:

Atari 800, 800XL x 2, & AtariMax programmable carts
Apple 2e
BBC model B & CF interface
C64, 1541 Ultimate2
Amiga 1200 and 4GB flash card, classic workbench, WHDload
Atari Jag (a few carts)
PC engine & flash card
Spectrum 48 & DivIDE
Mac Classic Se30
Vectrex & flash cart
Binatone pongs
Rolf Harris Stylophone :)
Xbox 1

all the above are out "in the office" and get use from time to time.

In the loft: ZX80, 81, ST, electron and other bits and bobs.

Anything should ideally be able to load and run programs still, most practically from CF or flash or non-magnetic media. That seems really important.

I've considered a Dragon32, Oric, or an Atmos -seem rather limited now I've looked into them. I'm not really into Amigas. I would still love a UK101 or RML380z or a Pet or Memotech MTX512 if pushed - i.e. sommat proper old and sexy / quirky.

Ideas? help ! What cool kit have I missed?

cheers, Iain :)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hmmmm

NeoGeo
Sega Megadrive (MegaCD / 32x) /Saturn/DreamCast/GameBoy
MSX
SNES

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
Well, I just obtained a later-model Tandy 1000, and I'm having fun with it. It's got all the interesting quirkiness of the IBM PCjr, with all the important stuff IBM stripped out put back in place. Don't know how common they are on your side of the pond, though.

Zetr0's suggestions are good too, though IIRC the Neo-Geo is expense as *insert expletive of choice*. The Megadrive and SNES have solid game libraries and the Mega CD has a number of interesting titles from the early days of import gaming; the 32X doesn't have much, but there are a few really cool titles for it. The Saturn and Dreamcast are somewhat more limited in their selection, but there's still some really interesting stuff, especially if you know how to use a region-patcher and CD burner REDACTED FOR DMCA VIOLATION.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
If you've run out of inspiration, I'd say take a break, bask in the awesomeness of your collection, enjoy what you have so far and save your cash... That way you'll get good use out of what you have now and when inspiration does hit you'll have a nice sum of cash for what you really want. (y)

Wait for the rush ;)

LTAC

AmiBayer
Country
FRANCE
Region
South of PARIS
ORIC-1 / ORIC ATMOS / STRATOS-TELESTRAT...
Moreover, ORIC are computers from England (except TELESTRAT => French).
Really good computer to start learning 6502 code.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Get yourself an Acorn Archimedes, you'll enjoy what the Archie has to offer... I've got an A3010 model and I love it to bits.

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
Thanks for the comments guys

I didn't add that I've had many of these for years so they aren't recently acquired/ got bored scenarios by a long chalk.

Achimedes! If only I'd blagged one when I had the chance 10 years ago :(

Thanks I'll do some surfing!

Iain

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
A Spectrum 48 & DivIDE is nice, or even an original 128 if you can fine one!

I've got mine (DivIDE) hooked up to my +3 and its a great bit of kit :cool:

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
ta

I've got a speccy and a divide too. Just fixed it earlier - some reason it stopped working with one motherboard, swapped the spare board in, that one works. phew ;)

archimedes could be good. I do need a target to aspire to! The second thing more near term that I need to do is sort out some hardware - video mod for the atari xl, stuff of that ilk.

tandy - yeah good one. very good suggestion overall that one.

ta guys!

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I was in the same situation not a long time ago. I ended up getting an MSX2 computer, a Philips NMS-8250. The basic in MSX computers is great! Too bad I didn't have more to spent as I would've gotten a Philips NMS-8280 with an in-built superimposer.

An Archimedes is also a good choice and it was long a strong canditate for me. I may get a 3010 at some point.

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
I worked in /ran a computer shop once. early 80's. Loads of kit went past, I sold loads and of course now wish I could have bought /kept some at the time.

the biggest fleeting love was the memotch MTX. God that was sexy. However only had one in, sold it and I think they went bust. <Wistful>

MSX - Nice. Very, very interesting range too.

mmm Archimedes. I have no idea of the sweet spots in that range. I had a chance to blag an archimedes a few years ago, didnt, and now wish I had ! anyone recommend any web links so I can start dreaming?

ta again

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
The sweet spot is around the A3010/3020 Archimedes series as far as I am concerned. An internal IDE port, inbuilt floppy drive like the Amiga, availability of RISC OS updates for the Archie, VGA compatibility with modern monitors, these machines have a lot going for them.

There are 'podules' available for them but most of them have little use these days.

Stairway to Hell, Retro Gamer and other BBC computer forums would be a good site to start looking, as well as the usual suspect auction sites *cough*

TheCorfiot is also a good guy to ask about the Archie machines.

(y)

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
the biggest fleeting love was the memotch MTX. God that was sexy. However only had one in, sold it and I think they went bust. <Wistful>
*checks Wikipedia* A built-in assembler and debugger? Wow. Think the only other place I've seen that is on the Commodore 128...

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
They made peripherals, ram packs etc beforehand. The case was superb, all hinged if I recall, had a great feel to the whole machine . And was really a joy to use. ahhhh:)

Hell_Labs

Banned
Country
England
Region
St.Helens, Lancashire

What the hell's one of them? *googles*

Okay that has to be the best looking computer I've ever seen.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria

What the hell's one of them? *googles*

Okay that has to be the best looking computer I've ever seen.

Best looking retro computer for sure...

Though that black C64 looked pretty sexy too...

Top Bottom