What can you tell me about this A4000

Roman78

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
NRW
I just bid (and think i buyed) an Amiga 4000 (not via AmiBay, but via an other site). It is an A4000, but the seller could not say anything about it. It looks nice. Also have a C= at front, so i think it's not a Escom Amiga.

Strange is that there a white mem sockets and a cr2032 battery. I read on wikipedia that this is an later model whit a 030 cpu direct on the mainboard instead of (the early 4000) on an expansion card. So is this the low cost model, the A4000-CR?

I also read that the max mem is 18 meg (2 on board and 4x4 to add). Is it possible to add bigger modules in the slots (like 8 or 16 mb per module)... i think i know the answer.....

What could you guys tell me about this machine?

Attachments

• A4000.jpg
    A4000.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 3

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
16mb on the board plus 2mb chip, extra memory can be added via Zorro cards or a CPU expansion.
possibly has had the battery replaced at some point?

cant tell what cpu is in it from that piccy m8, but i'm sure one of the experts will be along later:)

LTAC

AmiBayer
Country
FRANCE
Region
South of PARIS
For sure, the BUDDHA card seems to be connected on the ZORRO slot. :D

Last edited:

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
Hard to tell from the picture, but I would guess that it is just a simple case of
A) the battery was swapped out at one time,
B) the Ram slots were changed (Not un-common)

It does not look like a 4000-CR board from this angle.
The ram slots (I have been told) were made of a notoriously cheap and weak plastic (some of the expansion boards were a lot cheaper) and crack and broke after just a few insertions.
Also the Maximum ram the motherboard can address in those slots is 16 megs. If you want more, it has to come from somewhere else.

I could be wrong, but I do not believe Escom made a 4000D. only the Towers and A1200's

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Roman78

This A4000 motherboard (rev B) has had a replacement Battery and 5 72pin simm sockets as well.

I would harzzard a guess that one of its previous owner has had these replaced due to battery damage or possible battery and or 72pin socket clasp damage - I would also go out on a LIMB and say that the memory latching F245 IC has been replaced (quite common when replacing the sockets) but you will need to confirm that with the previous owner(s).

CBM shipped the A4000 in two flavours - the Basic 25Mhz 030 (5 Mips) and the 25Mhz 040 (19MIPS), so unless a previous owner has upgraded the CPU - you will be stucj with one of those.

Memory on the motherboard is limmited to 2MB chip and 16MB of fast.

the first socket (closest to the Z3 Bus) is CHIP RAM and that needs a double sided SIMM, you can use any 70ns or faster 72PIN EDO/FPM SIMM (from 2, 4 or even 8MB) - it will only be able to address 2MB of chip.

The remaining 4 sockets can only accept single sided simms due to thier mechanical nature of the 72pin sockets angle.

Each socket can address upto 4MB each for a total of 16MB of FAST RAM

take some more pics and remove the busboard and cpu card and we can help a bit more.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Just to confirm the points above.

1. Escom only made A1200 and A4000T models. No A4000 desktops
  2. The A4000 RAM slots can only take 16MB RAM, either 4x 4MB SIMMs or 2x 8MB SIMMs. If you want more, you can add up to 128MB on a CPU card and up to 256MB per Zorro slot with a ZorRAM or similar plug-in card.
  3. The board is definitely not a cost-reduced version. The A4000-CR has only 4 SIMM slots, with the 2MB ChipRAM soldered directly to the board. That board has five slots. They have likely been replaced with better-quality ones. The battery will also be an aftermarket replacement job. The genuine CR board has a lithium battery, but this isn't one.
  4. The Zorro card in the slot probably is a Buddha IDE controller.
So, all-in-all, it looks like an A4000D that's had some love and attention by a previous owner. If you're lucky, it'll have a Super Buster -11 in the socket, too. Not a bad catch!

(y)

Roman78

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
NRW
Problem is that i did not take the picture. It's form the internet site were hey try to sell it.

What would this be worth in the worst/cheapest scenario? And by worst i mean that the machine works fine but has the less possible expansions.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Problem is that i did not take the picture. It's form the internet site were hey try to sell it.

What would this be worth in the worst/cheapest scenario? And by worst i mean that the machine works fine but has the less possible expansions.

Ack! You're not allowed to ask us for valuations, it's price-driving and against the rules! :)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

sorry bud, no prices as it's deemed price driving

Tahoe

Collector Extrodinaire
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Wilnis
Carefull!! It's has it's buster soldered to the board, if it is a rev. 9 swapping will be a pain.

It is definatly the most common (Rev B) 4000, not the rare-ish CR version.

Roman78

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
NRW
I only wanted to know... sorry :unsure: Thought when it's not buyed on amibay i could ask.

I don't want to pay too much. But it looks like i get the machine.

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
My first question, is Why is the budda board is installed?
The 4000 has native IDE, which would make me suspicious on if the board was working properly or not. It might be just a simple case of the owner wanted it for usb and such, but it raises a bunch of red flags in my mind.

If I were selling this unit, I would make sure that the Budda board was OUT of some of the pictures to make sure the buyer knew that the unit functioned "stock".
I am sorry, with all the "upgrades" and the Budda board like that, I wouldn't even consider bidding on this unit. It raises too many questions, and it seems like the seller doesn't know enough about it's history to be of any real help.
I would pass on this one, unless you can get it for next to nothing.

Roman78

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
NRW
I just get a mail from the seller telling me that he had other mail that told him that the bids are to low and that the Turbocard is more worth than i had bid. And that he will sell it apart. I replied: "What turbocard?"

First telling me that i can pick it up and than this. :bomb :censored:

Don't like this kind of people.

Well than i will go on with my A2000 project.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
on the other hand, it could be that the battery and memory slots were changed by an owner that loved his machine and took the time to future proof his/her baby.
The Buddha was installed because they wanted more ide devices installed.

just a thought

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
The Buddha is supposed to be faster than internal IDE as well (y)

The board I recently purchased from Hikey had new White sim holders fitted. In my eyes that was a plus not a minus.

Dave G :cool:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I just get a mail from the seller telling me that he had other mail that told him that the bids are to low and that the Turbocard is more worth than i had bid. And that he will sell it apart. I replied: "What turbocard?"

And that's why we don't allow price-driving. :)

It absolutely disgusting for someone to auction an item with whatever start/reserve they pick, then at the end say "No, sorry, the bids were too low"

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Ask for two more pictures if you can.

Most definitively a picture of the card installed on the motherboard on the side which is under the CDROM.

This will tell you what CPU which is installed, and if there is any memory on the CPU module.

Like it's stated here, we can't tell you what such a CPU module with or without RAM is worth, but we can tell you if it's any good. Top notch CPU modules are typically CyberStorm series from Phase5, though other nice ones are Apollo series.

Next up, the last question is the Buster chip. Version 11 is to prefere, version 9 is buggy.

I'd not worry too much about this, because this motherboard has had a significant amount of love from a previous owner. As pointed out it's clearly visible that both RAM sockets and battery has been replaced.

Now the battery on standard unmodified Rev B amigas are a deadly source of problems. But also trivial to replace, so in it self not a strong evidence. But the RAM sockets speak volumes. They become brittle over time and even before the plastic goes brittle, the cheap poor quality sockets that Commodore used broke really early.

A user who've taken care to fix those, it's a very complicated process, or had someone do it will most likely, almost assuredly have had the Buster 11 replaced too. Compared to mucking around with the RAM sockets, it's a walk in the park :)

Roman78

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
NRW
Now he send me the specs: Theres a Cyberstorm Mk II version 060 in the machine whit 128meg of ram. Well tell that in the Add.

Damn this is more worth than i had bid.

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
Can I ask what site you are bidding on so I never go there to buy? I cannot stand stuff like this. I hate reserves too. Just post a starting bid at a price that you find acceptable and call it a day. If people bid it up..great. Reserves are just baiting people. Someone says "Oh look this item is only $40"...then bids $45 and is told at the end of the auction that their bid was too low. ??? What a waste of time. This is mainly why I strictly hit the "Buy It Now" ads.

Top Bottom