Status
Not open for further replies.

AmigaManiac

Country
Australia.
Region
Lithgow, NSW
Hi all,

I saw a post on Amiga.org, and felt compelled to post a reply. Rather than repeat myself, here's a copy & paste of my post:

"Re: SAM 440 - What would owning one mean to you?

Nuffin :p I prefer the original hardware. I have used WinUAE, but nothing gives me that nostalgic feeling like using a real Amiga. Even down to putting the floppy disk in, and hearing it load the game. I even find it soothing just to look at the Amiga. And let's not forget touching it! I was also tempted to buy a MiniMig, but it's too expensive for me, especially considering how crappy the Aussie dollar is at the moment :(

Basically, when I fist used the Amiga, I was a teenager, without any responsibility, or a care in the world 8) So when I find the time to play a classic game, or watch a demo, or play with the hardware, it helps me to unwind and relax. I bet the designers never envisaged their creation(s) being used as therapy!

I also think that the Amiga was very well designed. How many 20+ year old computers are there, that can be hooked up to a modern PC? I was a very happy man when I discovered that I could use a null modem cable to transfer data to/from my PC and Amiga. It allowed me to play all those classic games that I missed out on! I know, that is the slowest method. I also have a CF to PC card adapter, and software from AmigaKit so that I can use my A600. And there are other methods...

But no, I'm not obsessed with Amigas, I just have a soft spot for them :) It's also good to know that when I need it, my Amiga is always there, waiting for me..."

I suppose it's about nostalgia for me, not about power or performance, or the latest OS.

How do you feel about your Amiga? I'd love to hear what other people think about their Amiga(s), and what you do with it/them :)

Nathan

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Re: What does your Amiga mean to you?

what does it mean to me? hmmmm i guess it's a little nostalgia and a little bit about the hackery/tinkering but mostly for me it's about making it do things i couldn't make it do when i had my 1st amiga, like using cf cards or using broadband or playing mp3's etc. i love the fact that although i have a very fast and dare i say it on here a very reliable, friendly and fun to use PC, it's still the miggy that i keep coming back to so the short answer to what it means to me? fun!

cheers, JuvUK 8)

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

My Amiga was the first home computer that became a "Swiss Army knife", in that I used it for desktop publishing, scanning pictures, playing games, getting onto bulletin boards and loads more; before the Amiga, trying to do any of these was a real pain.

I can remember taking my hand held scanner to the local club and people's reaction, when they saw what you could do in DPaint with a scanned image. I originally had an A500 Plus, but I traded it for an A600 that soon got a 40Mb (wow!) 2.5" hard drive put into it. I remember being able to load Workbench almost as quick as the A1200 crowd back then and had Directory Opus and loads of utilities stuffed into that 40Mb. Final Copy II and Pagestream were awesome DTP products for their time and were as good as Quark Express on the Apple Mac in my opinion.

The C64 got me into gaming; the Amiga got me into so much more, that's why I will always have a soft spot for the Miggy.

Just wait for the Professor of Hacknology from Norfolk University, aka Zetr0 to get into this thread....

tonyyeb

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire

Spot on Merlin. Pretty much the same story here.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

My Amiga(s) remind me I'm telling Bill & his cronies to F.R.O. :twisted:

Adonay

Country
lund sweden\Haugesund Norway
Region
Skåne

I gues its since the amiga have more character than a ibm compatible from that age as well as i grew up playing games on the Amiga. I mainly keep it for whdload couldent care less about os4 and such but two digital sticks and a hd full of games and some mod files and i am happy..

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

hmmmm Professor of Hacknology..... I like that.... its got a ring to it!!!!!

... what does owning an Amiga mean to me...

wow.... well lets see... (just taking stock)

I have the following
  • Amiga A500
    [list:27gxomtf]
  • 1.5MB CHIP[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • Impact Series II SCSI[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • 8MB Fast Ram[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • 4GB SCSI HDD[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • External SCSI CDROM[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • Kickstart 3.1[/*:m:27gxomtf]
[/*:m:27gxomtf]
[*]Amiga A600
  • 4MB Fast (soon to be 8MB)[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • 4GB CF IDE[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • SFF DVDRW[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • Kickstart 3.1[/*:m:27gxomtf]
[*]A1200 (custom desktop chassis)
  • Apolo060@80[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • 64MB RAM[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • ZIV Busboard[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • Budha IDE[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • ZIV PCI Mediator
  • Voodoo 5500PCI 64MB[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • Sound Blaster [/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • 10/100PCI Nic[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • TV / Video In[/*:m:27gxomtf]
[*]4GB CF IDEcard[/*:m:27gxomtf]
[*]DVDRW[/*:m:27gxomtf]
[*]Kickstart 3.1[/*:m:27gxomtf][/list:u:27gxomtf][/*:m:27gxomtf]
[*]A1200 (Micronick Tower)
  • Apollo 040@33 (may upgrade to 060)[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • 32MB Ram (may upgrade to 64MB)[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • Prelude sound card (clock port)[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • Micronik Z-3i Mk2 (6860 rev6.6 - 6.8) Busboard
  • Impact Series II 8MB SCSI Controller
    9.1GB SCSI HDD[/*:m:27gxomtf]
[*]IDE DVDRW[/*:m:27gxomtf]
[*]2GB CF IDE[/*:m:27gxomtf]
[*]PCMCIA Network Card[/*:m:27gxomtf]
[*]Kickstart 3.0[/*:m:27gxomtf][/list:u:27gxomtf][/*:m:27gxomtf]
[*]Amiga 2000 (Thanks to G-H / Coze / Keropi and r0jaws: you guys are awesome!!)
  • GVP Combi-040 68040@33mhz[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • 8MB Fast Ram (soon to be 16MB, then 32MB)[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • Picasso II GFX Card[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • 9.1GB SCSI HDD[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • SCSI CDROM[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • 2x FDD[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • Kickstart 3.1 (and soon to have Nathans Kick rom switcher for 3.0!)[/*:m:27gxomtf]
[*]A4000
  • Cyberstorm Mk2 68060@66mhz[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • 128MB Ram + 16MB + 2MB Chip[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • (hope to get in the next few hours a CyberSCSI II)
    (be getting an 18.1GB SCSI 3 HDD from Charlie soon)[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • Cybervision 64 3DMk2 (4MB)[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • Amiga Video Toaster 4000[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • Personal TBC IV (Time Base Corrector)[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • XSurf 2 Network Card[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • IDE
  • DVDRW[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • External 4GB CF Card[/*:m:27gxomtf]
  • External Serial ATA Connector (converted to IDE)[/*:m:27gxomtf]
[/*:m:27gxomtf][/list:u:27gxomtf][/*:m:27gxomtf][/list:u:27gxomtf]

wow... and theres more... ... lots

• CD32 Laptop project,
    A1200 DVD project,
    GB1000 Project
    A4000 HTPC Chassis Project (with 040@33 +16mb fast 2mb chip)
    MiniMig

not to mention sundry components that are stored for vairious nafarious projects ;) :D

the question is why..... well..... i think its because in a lot of ways the Amiga was one of the last computers built by MAN not engineered by machines like the PC's of today, the fact is everything I use I compare to the Amiga.. games, applications / os's etc...

the Amiga was / is a Tool, infact I used it a couple of years ago to create rendered anim graphics for a PC game how cool!? :D

Amiga.. its not a computer, buy a way of being :D

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

I think, therefore I am Amiga...... which is totally the opposite to Windoze....

You have to tell the Amiga what to do and it does it, Windoze tells you what you can and can't do.

"To err is human, to totally screw things up needs Windoze!!"

Nuff said I reckon.

Merlin

Hessu

Amiga Manic
AmiBayer
Country
Raisio, Finland
Region
Varsinais-suomi

Merlin stole my words :shock:

Love to use the "real thing". Using Amiga is in my blood, but only in the past years i have had an opportunity to get bigger amigas, that was my dream for a long, long time.

So now i have 2 A4000D's filled with some goods, to play with.

Tower (Mikronik)A4000D 2/16mb
Cyberstorm MKII/060 128mb
CG64/3d with scandoubler addon
Toccata Soundcard
FastAta 4000
Catweasel MK2
X-surf
LG DVD RW
Diskdrive
Not yet installed in is Prometheus with Voodoo and Ethernet

A4000/040D in original (near mint) Desktop 2/12mb Ram Ongoing Fixing project.
A3640 v3.1 + one 030 board for a spare
NoIde module in the Motherboard
Retina BLT Z3
Buffalo Ide
Delfina Lite Soundcard
Mikronik Scandoubler
Pioneer CD RW
Diskdrive
this one has a bit solderings to do, nearly finished
Both having 3.1 kickstarts and buster version 11 and AmigaOS 3.9 installed

Plus having Elbox Flickerfixer/scandoubler and Cypress CM-397 Scandoubler for spares too

I have had several A500 and A1200 models, but none at the moment.

cooyarpjm

Country
Australia
Region
Toowoomba Queensland

What the Amiga means to me?? mmm :?:

The first computer i ever owned was a TANDY Colour Computer 2, with it's awesome 4 colour graphics 64kb ram and high speed tape drive (eventually added disk drives). i loved it the games were playable arcade clones it was great! Then...... my brother came home from the army with his Stock standard AMIGA 500 (with 1meg) with 1084s monitor, i was blown away F1 GP, Giana Sisters, silent service 2 and more and workbench no more typing CLOAD"******" and RUN, F***ing awesome (i was 18 at the time) he gave it to my mum so i was able to use it for the next year until i moved away, this was around 1991. i started buy amiga mags and such keeping up with what was happening. I eventually got my first amiga around 1994/95 an A500. Today i have 4 A500 stored in boxes one with 20meg hhd a 2.5 meg fast ram v2 roms, the others are standard (all badly yellowed (i see a restoration project here), an A600 with 2 meg chip ram (need to get some fast ram so i can put WHDload on and give to my mum) and 8gb HDD, and an A1200 with 32mb fast ram on 1230/50 Blizzard internal CD-ROM, 30gb HDD. Am over the moon with my A1200.

But back to the question, what an Amiga means to me.......
A Computer that you look at and go wow it all fits in there (imagine how small they could be with todays technology!!!)
Games that you can play and enjoy without having to think what was the key that does that again or sh*t this it too had to control, or damn i need another 400mb hdd space or 2 more gigs of ram, or a $800 graphics card.................................ok enough bagging messysoft
a computer the whole family can use (if you are willing to let them touch your baby) :p

AMIGA the only Computer ever made that you look at and it brings a smile to your face :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Love some of the posts in here. It's all good stuff to read. :)

Adding to my morose post earlier, I'd like to say this about AMIGA:

It showed "The Whole" Computer Industry what true pre-emptive Multi-Tasking was all about. :wink:

Nothing has matched C= for this since & b4 the Amiga showed up, the whole industry said it couldn't be done!

Funny thing is, every time I put a CDROM into my IDE WinblowZe box, I can't do f'k all with it till Bill's idea of;
"Spin to 52,000rpm in 2 minutes & then scan for what application to run";
has actually finished f'k-arsin' around! :roll:

From the desktop of your Pee cee, chuck a floppy in A: - open My Computer, right click A: & select format. Then wait until it's finished b4 you can use your Pee Cee in any other way? - wtf? :?

These were Fun & Pioneering days that were terminated rather prematurely for me! I guess the demise of C= was almost like the whole Industry having their first premature ejaculation. After that, the bollocks was only going to swell. - Why did Bill tell the user we had SCSI devices in our Pee Cee's when they are actually IDE? - Oh yeah, the bollocks was swelling!

I'm getting morose again, I better stfu! :mrgreen:

AMIGA Forever! :D

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

... a bruise on my left knee, must move the *****y thing or get a bigger room. :mrgreen:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

It is so hard to answer such a question.

What does the Amiga mean to me?

For me the Amiga is the key system that moved things out of the dark ages and showed the world what computers were really capable of doing and becoming.

In the 8-bit era I played games and used systems wishing they could do just a bit more. The 8-bit systems were not powerful enough to use for artwork and graphics, the audio while charming was not amazing (C64 SID chip the exception), 3D wasn't really possible, and management of files was a nightmare for most. And games showed their creators ideas but the systems were not quite powerful enough to realise them completely.

The 16-bit era changed that. Finally games developers and productivity software developers had access to the hardware they needed to finally realise the games they wanted to make, and an OS capable of creating productivity software that was usable and intuitive. The Amiga was at the forefront with the Workbench OS being miles ahead of anything else available at the time. I remember using 1.3 for the first time and being amazing compared to others, especially the ST's GEM desktop which was complete crap by comparison. In fact the ST was really just an inferior entry level alternative to the Amiga. Even ST owners really knew this. I was an ST owner before owning an Amiga (due to finances) and I know the same games were better on the Amiga, and the Amiga had much better productivity software.

The Amiga was the first system to really unlock computer creativity. It allowed me to create graphics and animations, 3D, work with video, DTP and much more. I had tried similar tasks on an ST and while that was a leap up from the 8-bit machines, the TOS/GEM OS just wasn't good. The Amiga was just so well designed.

And for me the Amiga was the system that sparked the games industry into its most creative era. The 8-bit systems had been the inspiration for the ideas, creating many of the genres we now are so used to today, but the Amiga allowed the developers to turn these ideas into reality. Amiga games were, and still are some of the best ever made. I don't think there is another single system that contains so many great games that are still as playable today as they were back then.

So basically for me the Amiga was the one system that turned computing from a hobby into something that was really useful and finally allowed users to utilise computers for creativity. The Amiga Demo Scene just shows and highlights that perfectly, and the Amiga hardware design is still being pushed by the demo sceners even today.

The Amiga is the creative beginning of computing. And there is something special that can't really be named. A feeling you still get when using an Amiga that you don't get from any other system. I definitely don't get the same magic from a PC, even though they can technically now do so much more than any Amiga. I always get the feeling that if the hardware inside a PC was utilised how the designers of the Amiga did with the original Amiga we would see that current hardware technology was far more powerful than we think it is. The whole design of PCs today is still being badly held back by legacy design and an OS that has evolved from a very flaky beginning. Imagining what a proper Amiga would be like today using the cutting edge of current hardware technology brings a tear to my eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom