What is the future Amiga platform

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
So, where do you think the Amigoid OSes should head in terms of future platform? I, as some may know, am anti-intel, intel-outside, so I say stick with PPC, because it will pull through past x86 one day:
X86 is a cheap, poorly written architecture, ASM is TERRIBLE for it.
The demand for secondhand PPC Macs is up
The release of the EON and SAM prove the platform is still alive and kicking
I would leave the neo-amiga scene in favor of living in the past, because I swear that I will not buy another crapper-86

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I don't think the future is so much x86, but more likely amd64. Even if you think the architecture is a bit gash, you can't get away from the fact that this arch is mass-produced and comparitively cheap.

I really don't see any future in PPC, as I've said before, since Apple ditched it, there are no longer any 'desktop' applications for it and if it continues, it'll be as an embedded thing.

68k is definitely dead, there's no future path for it. If Coldfire were a viable platform, that'd be the best route for a modern Amiga, but as I understand it, Coldfire is too different from classic 68k to be a reasonable approach.

Just my opinion, you're welcome to disagree. :)

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
^ wut he said.

My nostalgic retro-heart wants it to be different, then massively produced x86/x64 clones, while my mind wants it to be commonly available and powerful enough.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
there isn't an option on there that i would pick :( i'm sorry to say i don't agree with any of them

I think that when we nostalgia boys pass on our machines will die with us, the Amiga is a memory or a toy or a hobby, i love my miggy but i don't see it out living us retro bods, sorry.

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
You are a nasty pasok-boy.

Amiga + Future = Coming Soon

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I have already got into flamewars on AmigaWorld over this, so I will tread lightly here...

I'm here because, for me, Amiga is a retro-computing hobby. My dream machine is a top-spec Amiga 4000T/060 with all the mod-cons. The current AmigaOS 4 stuff, at least for me, doesn't seem like real Amiga. If anything, it's little more than a curiosity, so I won't shell out any real money for AmigaPPC hardware. I plan on giving AROS a go, because I can do that for free. As and when I free up some PPC Macs, I'll give MorphOS a go -- I'd consider paying for it, if I like it, and it's the only outlay (I have PPC Macs already) but I can't justify upwards of £500 for an AmigaOS 4 system.

If you have a SAM or AmigaOne and like it, that's awesome, I'm happy for you, but for me, the hobby is all about the classic Amiga stuff that I grew up with.

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
there isn't an option on there that i would pick :( i'm sorry to say i don't agree with any of them

I think that when we nostalgia boys pass on our machines will die with us, the Amiga is a memory or a toy or a hobby, i love my miggy but i don't see it out living us retro bods, sorry.

I understand the natami-project. I will buy a computer like that if they come to a release. No doubt. But I don't have a legacy-computer beside the cd32.

The x1000 depends on what it can do for me. if they managed to cram it into a laptop and at an affordable price. I'd buy that. I just doesn't have that much use for a stationary computer that have no real legacy nor offers me anything my current one doesn't do ten times better. But I do have needs which tie me to owning a modern x86 computer (however, a mac) - if I was just a clausal user I'd be more than happy with a modern non-x86 arcitecture machine as the x1000 might be.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
The poll is a little confusing & I had to read dreamys post several times to grasp any coherence from it.

If your Amiga isn't based on a 68xxx based CPU, it isn't really an Amiga. I'll let you work out which option I voted for.:coffee:

Kin

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I've got a pretty wide definition of whats amiga.

I'll Allow for AROS, MOS, OS4 and OS3.x/WOS/PUP too.

It's all hobby for me, but I'd like to see one "Amiga Like" system to be my main system for documents (open office) and browsing (flash + java).

Meanwhile, while I wait for that to happen. I'm going to learn myself amiga programming. I've been a java developer for 10 years. A few years back I made a C++ game with SDL for PSP (custom fw version). And when I came out of school I knew C++ quite good on a basic level.

But these days I can make code for anything java or android. But for the OS' I love, I cannot code much. So there's the hobby aspect, it's a neat platform with great community and philosophy in software engineering. So I want in on the action.

I'm not fanatical about CPU (68k,ppc,x86) since x86 is the desktop winner. And I'm not fanatical about cost, since there is choice and I can buy something cheaper if I want to. Like an old pc for AROS, second hand mac for MOS or even a cheap Win7 box with UAE on it.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
I'm with Andy and Justin on this one. The Amiga is a favoured hobby machine for me, and I enjoy playing with it but only in it's classic format.

However, as to which architecture the OS's should focus on, there's little point in continuing with PPC or 68K unless they are just trying to continue developing for hobbyists and enthusiasts.
If they don't wish to release for x86, then ARM seems like the only way forward. But then, theoretically, any new Amiga would infact be an Acorn. :D

As Kin points out, whatever happens it won't truly be an Amiga as we knew it, just another OS with a different architecture and dedicated hardware.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I really do hope that there won't be any more "pasok-boy" comments in this thread, along with other potential fanboi statements.....

:butcher

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
to next thread

to next thread

I am stronger then this I can resist moving to next thread:run:

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
I would be okay if OS4 was on x86-64, but only ran on Intel Macs. I refuse to let the amiga platform become a PC OS. I will try AROS on PPC, but I'm buying a PMAC G4 next.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I would be okay if OS4 was on x86-64, but only ran on Intel Macs. I refuse to let the amiga platform become a PC OS. I will try AROS on PPC, but I'm buying a PMAC G4 next.

I sympathise with your viewpoint, I really do. It is perhaps somewhat belittling to turn Amiga into just-another-PC-OS. Conversely, why limit yourself to expensive Apple hardware for just this reason? That's a tough one to call...

Top Bottom