What is your favourite joystick or controller?

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Without wishing to start any fanboy wars (you have been warned) I was sorting through my stuff today and I found my favourite controller of all time; the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro joystick (yup, Uncle Bill's lot got something right, at least for me).

To me, this controller is teh :censored: R0xx0rZ. More than enough buttons, a top hat joystick for looking around and the shaking of the desk when you turn the force feedback on - fan-bl00dy-tastic!! There's nothing like cutting loose with the machine guns in a dogfight and have the stick shaking in recoil as you fight the controls to keep out of the other plane's sights.

I've actually got two Force Feedback Pros, the Sidewinder steering wheel and pedals, the Sidewinder joypad and the Sidewinder multi-channel voice thingie.

I've also got a Gravis joystick but I don't think it's as good as the Sidewinder.

It's that bad that I went out of my way to get a game/midi port backplate for my current machine as it didn't come supplied with one, just so I could use the Sidewinder if I wanted to.

However, tonight, I've just noticed something as I'm typing this and I'm gutted. The Gigabyte M85M-US2H motherboard that is going to be my new AMD Triple Core PC's basis hasn't got a midi/game port connector on the board..... :eek:veractor:

It's got more SATA and USB ports than soft Mick, but has MIDI all but died put now? I have two PCI slots on the new board and do I really have to put another sound card into it, just to get a game port..?? :nuts: If I use a USB adapter, the joystick doesn't work properly, that's well documented all over the place. :(

Anyway...

What's your all-time favourite game controller, from any format or machine, be it a computer or console?

Hell_Labs

Banned
Country
England
Region
St.Helens, Lancashire
Playstation controller.

Of course, the best thing for playing games bar an arcade machine is keyboard and mouse.

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
LOL Merlin - I think I might have a MIDI/Game controller back plate adapter you can use as I'm sure the AMD board has the pin out's for it. But that aside I used the Sidewinder Pro (non FFB) for many years and loved it. It was a great pad BUT to answer the question at hand my favourite controller of all time is STILL the Competition Pro 5000 :)

Cheers

John (y)

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
There can be only one.....

2.jpg

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Oops - nope you're right, just checked the spec and it doesn't - that's a mistake on THEIR part :( Maybe you could try and score yourself an old school but high end PCI Soundblaster card that usually has one on the back plate???

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

@blankstare - One of my first jobs when I left school was to work in a wee computer / games store in Glasgow (after being a patron for many years) and the Speedking came in to stock. After many folk seeing the reviews we had loads on order (well before "pre-order" was even a phrase) but I managed of course to score myself one. I was soooo disappointed in it. I just could not get used to it. I realise it must just have been me though as it really is a great stick, and after many years later I tried again and couldn't believe the difference. In essence - yes it's a great stick that i just wish I could have gotten to grips with first time around :blink:

John

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I've got a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 that I could put in, but that's not the point really. With only two PCI slots, I'm not exactly overwhelmed with expansion options. Ho hum......

*Goes off to try and find a PCI game port card*

Fizzy

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
South Wales
Well, I rather like my green "bug" joystick for amiga use. :D

The best joystick I ever used though was the original microsoft sidewinder one. It used two downward facing lights at the baseof the stick, which shined onto a sensory pad. No variable resistors etc - and resulted in a very smooth joystick. Was one of the first I saw with a twist action as well. Had great fun playing the likes of wing commander and mech warrior etc.

I actually still have it - but it uses a gameport connector. They did bring out a usb adapter for later versions - but then there is no driver for windows 2000 onwards anyway. :eek:

The sidewinder II was nowhere near as good, and went to the traditional variable resistor approach.

Also had the MS force feedback steering wheel. Great fun playing colin mcrae rally etc. Sold it though since it again used the gameport connector and everything was going usb. :roll:

And if you want wierd - somebody recently gave me a box with a controller in, called "I drive games with my head!". A motion sensing headset to act as a joystick - talk about doing your neck in. :D

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
There was a Quickshot something-or-other joystick for the Amiga, which I had a long time ago. It looked like a proper arcade stick and it had suction cups on the bottom to keep it firmly on the desk.

The first one I had was leaf-switch. Nice and quiet. My cousin, curse her, bust one of the feet and so a replacement was purchased. It was microswitched and thus noisy as all hell.

It probably wasn't that good. I do recall it was really cheaply made but, well, it was better than having to hold a joystick in your hand for ages and it gave more control than a joypad.

jayrox

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Sheffield
Has to be the old ps1 controller, it just feels right, fits in your hands perfectly, everything is where it should be, perfect :bowdown:

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
There was a Quickshot something-or-other joystick for the Amiga, which I had a long time ago. It looked like a proper arcade stick and it had suction cups on the bottom to keep it firmly on the desk.

The first one I had was leaf-switch. Nice and quiet. My cousin, curse her, bust one of the feet and so a replacement was purchased. It was microswitched and thus noisy as all hell.

It probably wasn't that good. I do recall it was really cheaply made but, well, it was better than having to hold a joystick in your hand for ages and it gave more control than a joypad.

Wow - I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone say they preferred non-microswitched joysticks! Yes they were quieter but way less resilient. Was the Quckshot you referred to "top gun" style? If it was - the Quickshot II was all black (i think) with a red trigger and thumb button but then they released the QSII Turbo which had a red base and was a joy to use - until it got worn of course (probably the lack of microswitches lol)

John

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I might have a couple of these Quickshot joysticks, for those that might want a nostalgia trip....

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire

Wow - I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone say they preferred non-microswitched joysticks! Yes they were quieter but way less resilient. Was the Quckshot you referred to "top gun" style? If it was - the Quickshot II was all black (i think) with a red trigger and thumb button but then they released the QSII Turbo which had a red base and was a joy to use - until it got worn of course (probably the lack of microswitches lol)

John

Ah yes, one of the leaf-switches snapped, that's why I got the new one! My memory is awful.

Grey base, red buttons, turbo fire switches (bloody pointless). Red joystick bit? Can't remember exactly.

Loved it.

These days, I suppose it's a Hori stick for Xbox / PC and just about anything we can get our hands on for Amiga. I'm holding out for a Competition pro CD32 pad.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
I'd prob have to go with the PS controller too. Its easy to et to know, feels right in your hands, even if you've been holding it for hours and none of the buttons feel like a stretch to reach. Perfect.

Proof of this is in the fact that they stayed with the same design over 3 generations and many companies, a lot of them very highly respectable too, have ripped off the design.

Check out this PC pad from my fave peripheral manufacturer Logitech...
http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...GfCI70-Qap-rylCQ&sa=title&ved=0CBMQ8wIwAjgA#p

... Hmm... that looks familiar... :whistle:

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Oh lord where do I start...

Well I have to say for the Amiga days I grew up with the humble ZiPSTiCK, though rather stiff it was bloody well made. Quite like me when I. . .
Erm, *ahem*, later I discovered 2 other nice sticks from Cheetah (Mach 1) and of-course, the Speedking from Konix. There was a nice pad for Amiga too but I forget the name of it.

An absolute legendary design that has stood the test of time is of-course the Playstation controller. Sure Sega's Dreamcast and Microsoft's Xbox re-invented it a few years later but Sony didn't need to change a thing on their controllers for over 15 years and rightly so!

The Playstation controller for me, wins it hands down.

HeZoR

Amiga Rules
AmiBayer
Country
Greece
Region
Nomos Pellis
Pacman/Tomahawk!
The Greek Immortals, joysticks from Aneroussis control...there can be only one, or two maybe. :whistle:

Attachments

• pacman.jpg
    pacman.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 3

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
There may be hope for my Force Feedback Pro yet... apparently, a guy called Grendel produced an interface that was able to convert the Microsoft Overdrive signals to USB. From reading around, I think it was based on the Teensy v2 developer board, but information is scarce. Has anyone come across this Grendel device?

There's also a game port>USB adapter called the RockFire that is supposed to do the same, although the force feedback doesn't work.

I'm not giving up yet....

Edit: I've found this information. I can convert the FF Pro to USB, however the force feedback will be lost..

This is based on the MS SideWinder USB adapter, part no. 98427, that fits the MS SideWinder Precision Pro, part no. X03-57540, product id. starting w/ 85791.

This is how it connects internally:-

USB pin 1 (red, Vbus) --> GP pin 1 (5V)
USB pin 2 (white, D-) --> GP pin 14 (BY2)
USB pin 3 (green, D+) --> GP pin 10 (BY1)
USB pin 4 (black, GND) --> GP pin 4 (GND)
USB shield (Screen) --> Game Port shield
Game Port pin 2 (BX1) --> Game Port pin 7 (BX2)

The colours in brackets are the standard USB cable colours.

To make the adapter, you need a female DB15 connector with plastic shell and an old USB cable with a USB "A" connector on one end (the flat connector that plugs into your computer.)

Cut the "B" connector from the cable, so that you end up with a short cable with the "A" connector. Wire it to the DB15 connector according to the list above. Make sure that you connect pins 2 and 7 in the Game Port, as these are the ones that select USB mode for the device.

I'll make one of these up during this week.

Last edited:

HeZoR

Amiga Rules
AmiBayer
Country
Greece
Region
Nomos Pellis
Rockfire works well with my pacman on peecee!

Top Bottom