Status
Not open for further replies.

SJBUK

AmiBayer
Country
Uk
Region
Hertfordshire
I've just been mooching around YouTube and come across this (BBC Micro Live (1985) - Commodore Amiga Debut) -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS-NYK-8 ... re=related

I remember watching this when it was first aired, I couldn't wait to get hold of one after that! Anyone else remember it?

Steve

(Edited to qualify YouTube link)

boinger

Country
canada
Region
vancouver bc
Re: What made you buy your first Amiga?

i bought my first a1000 after seeing the boing ball. hypnotizing it was.

SJBUK

AmiBayer
Country
Uk
Region
Hertfordshire

@boinger

I think the first time I saw that you just heard the sound effects, then they slid the Workbench screen down to show the ball. That was pretty amazing at the time, seems a bit silly now!

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

A500 & a copy of Dino Dini's Kick Off back in 1986! :mrgreen:

shem

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Machester

I purchased an A500 when they came out as I used to repair them
After you repaired a computer you had to test it.
When I saw what it could do I knew I had to get one also it was a considrable upgrade from a c64 :D
At the time they were way ahead of the competition

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Quite a funny long story:

I use to program in DOS-basic. In early 1989 I had to make a program for a rent-a-video store. I even had to buy a 3.5" floppy unit for my "mighty" 286!

I have a friend who I want to show my newly proggie. He toss the floppy into a "strange" wedge-shaped keyboard and my program start to run. I ask him where the CPU was and he laugh. Then he picks the mouse and move the pc window down, showing the Workbench screens.

I made him a huge lot of questions and from that moment I became an addict.

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg

A classmate in highschool had an A500, which we played a few times when I visited his house. I was completely stunned by the magnificent graphics and sound coming from that little machine, so I just had to get myself one of those.

Unfortunately, I was only 12 (no job of course) and didn't have the 1000 guilders (about 450 euros nowadays) that I needed. But then another guy in my class thought it was funny to shoot a rose hip in my eye using a rubber band. I couldn't see for about 2-3 weeks and I still have a pear-shaped pupil caused by the impact (my eyesight fully recovered though). Anyway, this incident resulted in me getting a nice personal injury compensation from that guy's insurance, so I could buy myself a brand spanking new A500, with 2 joysticks, a 512kB expansion and lots of blank disks so I could copy all those nice games from first-mentioned classmate.

Fortune through misfortune :D

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

When the 16-bit era launched I had been following the Atari ST. I had been an Amstrad CPC fan, and had also used friends ZX Spectrums and BBCs a lot, but no one I knew had a C64 so Commodore was quite alien to me, although I has seen, read about and used them. And my uncle had a C64 and C64C so I had played around with them a few times when visiting him, and heard how good the SID chip was.

Anyway, because the ST was released in the UK first it got more initial coverage to begin with compared to the Amiga, but I couldn't afford one. Instead I was buying ST/Amiga Format, and this was when I realised the Amiga was better. But being at school I still didn't have the money to buy either an ST or Amiga. I saved all year, and my parents gave me some money towards a new computer in December 1986, and I just couldn't afford an Amiga, so I bought an Atari 520 STFM. I knew it wasn't as good as the Amiga, but it was a huge step up from my Amstrad CPC464 and I really enjoyed owning and using the ST. But always knowing the games were better on the Amiga.

Then between 1987 and 1990 a few friends bought Amigas, and others STs. So I got to play loads of games on both, and really wanted an Amiga. But with other things I needed to buy so I didn't have the spare money until I left school in 1990 and went to College.

Then finally in 1991 I was walking past a branch of Dixons (UK electrical store) and the A600 had just been released with £100 off the retail price. This was too good to miss so I went home with my first Amiga. :)

I then upgraded to an A1200 in 1992, and a CD32 in 1993 on release. A friend then gave me his A500 Plus because he had got bored of Computers. And a couple of other friends gave me their old A500's. Then at my first year of Uni in 1996 a friend was selling his A4000 for £200, so I bought it from him, and it became by main computer for 2 years. But finally in 1998 I had to buy a PC for my interactive/multimedia graphic design degree, because the Amiga didn't have the software I needed.

But I never stopped being an Amiga fan, or stopped using Amigas.

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife

Circa winter 1989, our school was closed due to snow and I had to spend the day at a mate's house.

He had an A500 with 512Kb memory upgrade with Speedball2, Pro Tennis Tour 2 and Kick off 2.

Hooked then and there and never let go!

AndyC

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

My first amiga experience was when i was 5 years old (1989) and my dad bought the family an A1200 with Microbotics M1230XA accelerator and 50mb HDD. We had it for about 7 or 8 years when my dad got rid and upgraded us to a pentium 1 75mhz pc.
I always knew i loved that machine and would return to it one day.
Fast forward to 2001, i was 17 and attending college. I was recieving EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) which is basically where they pay you £40 a week to go to college. I had watched an ad in my local newspaper for 3 weeks with the guy trying to sell an a1200.
After 3 weeks and 3 price drops it currently stood at £50. I didn't quite have enough but decided to try the guy and see. I ended up buying an A1200 with Blizzard 1230, Commodore 1084 monitor, a Q-Drive External CDRom, Around 25 boxed games , A Goliath PSU and around 25000 floppy discs in stackable drawers from an old guy who told me that as much as he loved the machine it was time to let it go and play with his grandkids more. I think that was my best ever computer purchase.

Mike

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

About 3 years ago, out of curiosity, I bought a 1200 at a car boot sale for a fiver. I had a habit of picking up older electronics and having a fiddle with them just for fun. When I fired it up and checked out the forums I was incredibly impressed, the graphics, sound and potential were just awesome.
From then on I was hooked. Simples.

rossi46

Country
Melrose, Roxburghshire, UK
Region
Scotland

LOL I came from the Darkside! (Atari ST) and almost bought an A500, but bought a Sega Megadrive instead! This was 1993 (ish) I played ST and Sega concurrently for years, then inherited an A600 from my old band mate. From then on it was all things Amiga for me.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

scrappysphinx said:
My first amiga experience was when i was 5 years old (1989) and my dad bought the family an A1200 with Microbotics M1230XA accelerator and 50mb HDD...

Three years before the A1200 was launched! You were very luck indeed to have a dad with a time machine! ;)

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

it must have been later than that then or it was an earlier model, i just remember playing on an amiga from around 5 years old and i know we owned a 1200 at some point as it was the desktop dynamite pack! lol

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

I bought the Desktop Dynamite pack too. Was quite a cool software bundle with that one compared to previous Amiga bundles. Wordworth, DPaint4AGA and a few games. Pretty good to get things started.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

I agree it was very cool software pack. I lost months to Dennis. Then i discovered Deluxe Galaga and i lost years!

SJBUK

AmiBayer
Country
Uk
Region
Hertfordshire

Some of you are obviously a bit younger than me though, you're making me feel old!

After I convinced myself I wanted one I went to a demo at a hotel in Watford, a guy from the local computer ship had decided to sell Amigas and hired a room to show off the A1000. He had the demos shown in the clip above, DPaint, Marble Madness and various bits and pieces. First time I actually got to play with an Amiga and signed-up for one on the spot :) Not sure if it was at the end of 1985 or early 1986. Heaven knows what I paid for it, got the 256K mem expansion and external floppy as well.

Just had a rummage around to see if I still had the original receipt (bit of a hoarder) , couldn't find it but did find:

May 1990
A2000 with 2091 & 40Mb HD £955.65
68030 card with 2MB £899.00
A2286 bridge board £499.00
£2706.70 inc. VAT!!!!!

August 1992
A3000/25 + 50Mb HD + 2Mb RAM £1537.50

September 1993
CD32 £299

Credit cards are evil.

I wonder if any of that gear still exists? Also makes you realise that although this old gear is getting more expensive these days it's still a long way short of it's original value!

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

£2700 for the A2000! Ouch! But at the time I bet it felt like an amazing system. And how many PCs that cost that much at the time are still as useful now? ;) :)

I often find old receipts for my Amiga and other computer hardware. Sometimes I'm surprised that it didn't cost as much as I thought it had, but often I'm shocked at how much I actually paid for something. Like £399 for a 330MB HD! Or £140 for an external floppy drive.

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire

Juggler.

Christmas 1987... I was a lucky, lucky, lucky boy! £399 for 300MB? Pah! Try £500 for 20MB... And I'm sure others will trump this! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom