What makes a game "rare"?

prog99

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Edinburgh
Last week I posted up a bunch of gameboy games on that well known auction site. I've not kept in touch with the scene so just bundled up what I found in the cupboard in one auction.

I'd say about a minute later the offers of I'll buy it all now off of you came in. This got my interest so I took another look and found out various titles that were on general sale here in the uk are considered "rare" and command a price far more than I bought them for. Needless to say I quickly pulled the auction and reposted everything separately (didnt know about amibay last week)

So what makes a game that I could buy off the shelf in HMV rare? I really cant figure this out!

Cheers, Mike.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Low production runs and poor selling games are the main thing that makes a game rare. A lot of people confuse rare with highly sought after though. For example some games such as Final Fantasy 7 on the playstation sell for above average prices yet the game sold many millions of copies, Conker's Bad Fur Day on the N64 commands a princely sum but it did not sell as well but still in the low millions. But then games such as Rendering Ranger on the snes are very expensive as only a few thousand were produced. Then you have items which sold well but do not come up for sale too often.

ColourWheel64

Banned
Country
none
Region
none
Simply selling any game on eBay makes it rare doesn't it?

lol

Also, it depends on the people who own the item.

Castlevania 4 for example: There were plenty copies made and sold, so where did they go?

What makes a game so rare is a combination of things:

• Some people throw all packaging away. Even games boxes (not me).
  • Growing out of games so disposing of the game entirely (also, never me).
  • The game gets irrecoverably damaged, maybe by pets or siblings (this has happened to me).
  • Also, prizing the game so dearly that they would never ever ever sell it (just like me!).

"It belongs in a museum!", Indiana Jones on the subject of a mint condish copy of Castlevania 4

Last edited by a moderator:

prog99

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Edinburgh
Good replies. I sold Conkers a few years ago and easily made way more than I paid for it in the bargain bin!
You'll be glad to know I didn't advertise anything as "rare" much as it was tempting:)

There does seem to be plenty of collectors of mint copies but to me I'd want to have the game to actually enjoy and play it!

Looking forward to the feeding frenzy when the harry potter 1st editions go on.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
what makes a game rare? well some were released in very small numbers, this would make it rare.

but usually just pure and simple greed, just by typing a game name into google and see how many copies are for sale at anyone point, if there are a few for sale all at the same time I would suggest that it is not rare, it is people just being cash greedy, using Colourwheel64's example of Castlevania 4 but excluding all non buy it now auctions we can see that Castlevania 4 is actually very easy to get hold of, so i wouldn't call that rare. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=castlevania+4&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

rare is just one of the terms that is generallly hated on retro sites :)

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
burning down the warehouse that contains 99% of the stock of an item makes it fairly rare... (make sure you have a few examples of the item first of course)

scoobyatgb

Country
uk
Region
london
So how too you find out if you have that game and what it's worth as eBay people go mad and try there luck how does a shop know what too sell it for

ColourWheel64

Banned
Country
none
Region
none
I sold Conkers a few years ago and easily made way more than I paid for it in the bargain bin!

Just to keep the thread on-topic I really must stress that although it's probably true that a game can fetch more money the harder it is to find, this is probably a subject more suitable for other forums.

Not meaning to take anything away from the money you made, but profit isn't what Amibay is about.

A game is rare because of how difficult it can be to find a copy, not because of how much it costs.

- - - Updated - - -

Castlevania 4 is actually very easy to get hold of, so i wouldn't call that rare.

I meant in mint condish. It's certainly no Sonic the Hedgehog.

That's another thing. The SNES games came in cardboard boxes, which are more easy to damage when compared to the Sega Megadrive games. This is why even games that almost everybody had e.g. Super Mario World and Streetfighter 2 are more difficult to find in a decent condition when compared to Sonic the Hedgehog and Streetfighter 2 on the Megadrive.

- - - Updated - - -

add something like "R@RE!!! L@@K!!!" to the title...

qft​

prog99

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Edinburgh
I sold Conkers a few years ago and easily made way more than I paid for it in the bargain bin!

Just to keep the thread on-topic I really must stress that although it's probably true that a game can fetch more money the harder it is to find, this is probably a subject more suitable for other forums.
Sorry, it was more the surprise as to how much it went for than any attempt to make money.

I guess what prompted my question is I am clearing out the house in preparation for moving and anything untouched in years went either to charity or for sale. I would rather someone else got some enjoyment out of the games than it sitting in my cupboard and any extra made that covers an extra month of storage for all my other junk is a bonus.
It just surprised me as to what caused people to go crazy over and what didn't gather any interest. I actually wish I had discovered Amibay before selling them as I like sites for enthusiasts by enthusiasts.

ColourWheel64

Banned
Country
none
Region
none
The thing about Conker on the n64 is that is was a real showcase game for the system released in a small quantity just as Nintendo dropped support for it.

It also has a singing poo that sings a song about poo, and we all know that poo as a subject is the pinnacle of hilariousness.

Saying that though, my mates dad really hates poo jokes, but I don't know what that has to do with anything. Except, maybe it's his fault the game's so rare. He would destroy them if he knew. I know it.

View attachment 81650
To win this round, Conker must time his toilet roll so that it enters the mighty poo's mouth when he opens it to sing. Laaa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBxSMnYCPjw

"If that singing poo is still on my television by the time I've counted to three then there'll be no more television for everyone", my mates dad in a fictional yet accurate enactment of events.

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
The thing about Conker on the n64 is that is was a real showcase game for the system released in a small quantity just as Nintendo dropped support for it.

It also has a singing poo that sings a song about poo, and we all know that poo as a subject is the pinnacle of hilariousness.

Saying that though, my mates dad really hates poo jokes, but I don't know what that has to do with anything. Except, maybe it's his fault the game's so rare. He would destroy them if he knew. I know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBxSMnYCPjw

"If that singing poo is still on my television by the time I've counted to three then there'll be no more television for everyone", my mates dad in a fictional yet accurate enactment of events.

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Red Baron: 'How lucky you English are to find the toilet so amusing. For us, it is a mundane and functional item. For you it is the basis of an entire culture.'"[/FONT]
[/FONT]

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
So how too you find out if you have that game and what it's worth as eBay people go mad and try there luck how does a shop know what too sell it for
ebay prices for the most part, but only take sold bin's in to consideration. I prefer to look at what auction sales have sold for that is where you get a real idea of what you can expect on ebay, probably a bit less on a site such as this one as the users here are less likely to go overboard.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Product recalls due to licensing or faults generally make a game rare / difficult to obtain.

The rest is to low volume of product to meet demand.

NinjaRabbit

Video Game Merchandise Collector
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
South Gloucestershire
Product recalls due to licensing or faults generally make a game rare / difficult to obtain.

The rest is to low volume of product to meet demand.
Not to mention if a game simply came into existence at the "wrong" time and ended up being overlooked.

... Or if a game is just plain cack. ;)

prog99

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Edinburgh
Well one of the games which caused a feeding frenzy was described by my wife as utter rubbish so you have a point!

NinjaRabbit

Video Game Merchandise Collector
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
South Gloucestershire
I'd venture to say that it's one of the higher-up reasons in the list, personally. :LOL: It's certainly a leading cause of the low sales that lead to "rarity", at any rate.

Top Bottom