What monitor do you use with your retro computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Whilst I love my old miggies, I really have no love for the Commodore 1084, it's small, noisy and gives me a headache, so I was wondering: What solutions have people opted for for viewing their classic hardware?

For me, the A600 and A1200 get connected to a 17" TFT monitor that has a composite video input -- The result is surprisingly good, albeit still flickery.
The A2000 is more of a problem; at the moment, I only have the 1084 to use it with, and would like to get something else.

The Indivision units are nice, but expensive (Isn't everything) and I don't think the ECS model is available yet.
Of course, many modern TVs still have SCART, so that's always an option. So, over to the AmiBayers, how do you view yours? :)

Tahoe

Collector Extrodinaire
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Wilnis
Re: What monitor do you use with your retro computers?

Anything not Flicker Fixed I use on a 1764 monitor (Amiga Technologies). Big heavy beast, but will display anything I throw at it.
Anything that is fixed gets output to an HP L1950 19" TFT...

Edit: Sorry, on my testbench I also have an el-cheapo LCD-TV of which I use the SCART port, also works fine...

playgeneration

Country
South Wales, UK

I have an eyetech external flickerfixer/scandoubler that I use with a 17" (I think) CRT VGA monitor. I have to share that between my trusty 1200 tower and recently aquired 2000, swapping between the two as and when. I have tried several TFT LCD monitors with it, but the image is completely awful - blurry and badly scaled, and most TFT's don't sync low enough to display it at all.
I'll probably get a gfx card for the 2000 eventually,then use a TFT screen at its native resolution, anything else on them is a waste of time.

jujasi

serial lurker :)
AmiBayer
Country
Leicester
Region
Leicstershire

I have a Samsung 931BF which connects to my BVision with a monitor switcher for the Indivision output

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

Indivision 4000/CD32 on a 22" Widescreen LCD for my Amiga 4000. Of course, I use a 1084S CRT for my Commodore 128. I've got about 5 more CRTs sitting on a shelf. :)

Heather

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs

My main machine is my 4000D which is connected to my Flatron M1917A LG screen through my graphics card. This is also shared with my :censored: PC via a ATEN video switcher.

When I use my other Miggys they connect to the same monitor but through the scart input.

Dave G 8)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

samsung 22" lcd and a samsung 42" plasma

the poll doesn't really cover what i use, i use a vga box for the 360, DC and A1200 with Scan doubler, the pc uses HDMI, the 3DO goes through a trick little tv box/scan doubler that then goes to VGA all on the same monitor, unless i unplug one and use it on the 42" then it runs through a VGA splitter or HDMI splitter.

JuvUK

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

You should have made this poll multi option as many of use use more than one method.

I have all of my consoles connected to my main TV via a large switching system of scarts and HDMI cable selectors.

I have some of my Amigas and STs connected via Scart also, and also run some of my systems through a 1084S, a Philips and a Microvitic Multisync monitors for that true retro experience. :)

ddni

AmiBayer
Country
UK - Northern Ireland
Region
Northern Ireland

Whilst I have an Indivision AGA on my A1200T, manually switching to it from my RTG WB is a pain. (Reaching forward and pressing that ONE button is just TOO much effort :wink: ).
Clearly for long periods of classic 15khz use, I do manage to drag myself forward and push the button... :D

However for a quick look at Games and apps that demand a 15khz screen I have hooked up a TV tuner card in my Mediator and run the A1200 composite to it. Quick n Simple.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

ddni said:
However for a quick look at Games and apps that demand a 15khz screen I have hooked up a TV tuner card in my Mediator and run the A1200 composite to it. Quick n Simple.

Crikey! Now that is exactly what I meant about weird and unusual solutions. You have my full approval!

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

FF/SD all the way. Flat panels are okay on Amigas, but being old school, CRT nukes Flat Panels in terms of FPS when you run with VSYNC on. Having said that, I wouldn't class the fastest PPC or 060 based Amiga as an FPS gaming machine, hence why I say flat panels for Amigas are great. My GTX295 breathes through a High End Professional CRT, purely to get as much FPS as possible with VSYNC on. Eizo 22" gives 100Hz @ 1600 x 1200 which equates to 100 FPS locked with VSYNC. 75Hz is about as low as you want to go running VSYNC & 60Hz (aka 99% of LCD's) means you only get 60 FPS. That's as laggy as hell & one thing I do not thank the industry for. Even some game writers decided to lock their games @ 60 FPS. Doom 3 was a classic example. :Doh:

For those unaware, VSYNC on stops horizontal tearing when looking left to right & locks the FPS to the same as the VSYNC refresh rate. (providing you have the hardware capable of maintaining high FPS)

Kin

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina

sd/ff for me on Trinitron CRT monitors (y) nothing beats that :thumbsup2:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ keropi

:inlove:

Kin

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire

A2000`s - Commodore 1960

Everything else - SUN 21" CRT, just cannot beat it for colour and as Kin says VSync.

Cheers,

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Regarding VSYNC. I'm still not convinced by it. I've run a lot of games with it on and off and most of the time you just can't spot any difference, except maybe the game suddenly running at a faster framerate with it switched off. I've probably encountered 3 games where horizontal tearing was an issues and so enabled it, but that's about it.

Personally I would rather run a game with VSYNC on at 75Hz and get a smoother 75fps, than have to find desk space for a huge CRT these days. I used to run 2x 21" CRTs in a dual monitor setup, and it wasn't until I ditched them in favour of LCDs that I suddenly realised how big my desk was! :LOL: Large CRTs are just too big and heavy these days, they pump out too much heat, generate loads of magnatism and radiation which can't be good for you sat directly in front of them all day (I'm still sure they contribute to hair lose), and they use a lot of electricity.

Also initially I didn't like the fact LCDs have a fixed native resolution. I'd always liked the fact you could run loads of different resolutions on a CRT and they all looked good. However a good LCD running in its native resolution using a DVI cable looks 100 times better than even the best CRT. The displays of CRTs look really blurry and fuzzy in comparison.

I would even run all of my retro system through LCD displays too if I could, except that I currently don't have any scan doublers to do it and can't at the moment justify £100 for one when I hardly use the systems.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

If you can't appreciate what VSYNC does Harrison, it's cool to say so. Any game I play gets VSYNC enabled every time. :wink:
75Hz is about the minimum for me too. The difference between 75FPS & 100FPS is huge when using VSYNC, but then your an ATI man & dont get as much FPS as JuvUK & myself on nVidia. :p :laugh:

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

I was waiting to see if an ATi related FPS quip would be forth coming, and you didn't disappoint! ;) :LOL:

BTW, have you read about the ATi 5870 x2? This is going to be quite a powerful dual GPU card, and unlike existing cards that just sandwich two cards into one, the 5870 x2 will actually be a single card just like the 5870, but with a dual core GPU! Now that could be interesting.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

I still have my A1942, who shows all resolutions I throw at it quite happily (not the strange EURO modes).

I sold my NEC multisync 3Ds two months ago (not through Amibay, unfortunately).

But now I'm using a 19" wide screen LCD TV who loves the Amiga signals! :thumbsup2:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

I have a load more quips for you if you want em? :laugh: & we'd be best doing them on your thread here `cos we are :eek:fftopic: here. :shhh:

Kin

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

Kin Hell said:
I have a load more quips for you if you want em? :laugh: & we'd be best doing them on your thread here `cos we are :eek:fftopic: here. :shhh:

Kin
I dunno, you might have installed an ATi/NVidia card into an Amiga busboard (for whatever insane reason) and thus justifiably discuss this topic here.

/me considers the possibility of an PCIex AGA card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom