What OS version for CDTV :)

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
Hello all!

Could I pick your brains? I'd like to see what people think is the best OS version for a CDTV. "1.3" would be the normal answer, but I've expanded it a little...

CDTV-2-SCSI + SCSI->IDE + IDE-> CF
Kickstart switch with 1.3 and 3.1
CSA Mega Midget Racer 68030 / 68882 with 8MB fast ram

My thoughts are to use both 1.3 and 3.x... 1.3 for compatibility (the 68030 can be disabled to give a straight 68000, the SCSI can be disabled if needed) with CDTV stuff, and the other for more general computing purposes :)

3.1 works.
3.5 - never used it...
3.9 - overkill? Especially as I don't have a network card for this.

Opinions gratefully received!

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Not sure about the Midget's CPU capabilities there, but if the 030 has a Working MMU, there are a shed load of Soft-kick programs you could use to kick any version of ROM you wanted into Ram. You will loose a bunch of RAM for this though. Afaik, there are also some programs that don't require a working MMU to do this, but I am not teccy enough to advise you on this, sorry.

Another consideration is what you are primarily going to use the CDTV for.

Kin

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
Cheers Charlie :)

It's primarily a CDTV, but also a very nice amiga now, hence wanting to put 3.1 on there.

I think it's worth having the kickstart switch in as softkicking would require an MMU, which would need the 030 to be active, which might not be as compatible. I suppose WHDLoad is the answer there :D, but I confess I don't know whether it works with the CDTV.

Any views on 3.5?

Actually, no matter what I do the ECS graphics will be the limitation, so I guess 3.1 is probably the right way forward.

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
It depends of what to do with your CDTV. This machine is for the living room, and I think that even 3.1 is sufficient, if you want to use your CDTV for WHDLoad games and play via the wireless controller.

Jumping Anaconda

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Hertfordshire
Relokick can soft kick any version of kickstart without an MMU. I would suspect that without the MMU the area of ram the kickstart is written to will be vulnerable to getting overwritten, and thus may not be as compatible as the physical rom.

Having said that if you alreayd have the roms in a switcher as you seem to suggest, what is the issue?

Also, out of interest, is the Mega Midget Racer you have installed the A500 version?

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
Cheers

Yes, it's the A500 version (I think)... but it will also fit in a 2000, as it has space for the video slot to fit into...

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Stick with 3.1 and patch it to the top. It will look as 3.9 with all bells & whistles you want and not much memory overhead.

Only if you want a special 3.9 ROM for that Amiga (you must make one) I'll recommend 3.5/3.9...

Top Bottom