AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Well, my CDTV has arrived and it's looking pretty cool!:woot:

So, the first question is: What's cool that I can do with it?
And secondly: What upgrades should I consider for it?

Is it worth giving it Kickstart 3.1 and/or Super Denise?
I imagine it'll take a 68000-socket accelerator, but is that worthwhile?
What's the best way to fit a hard disk (if indeed, even that's worthwhile)

Finally, I'm going to be on the lookout for exciting CDTV software to play with on it! Recommendations, please!

(y)

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Well, my CDTV has arrived and it's looking pretty cool!:woot:

So, the first question is: What's cool that I can do with it?
And secondly: What upgrades should I consider for it?

Is it worth giving it Kickstart 3.1 and/or Super Denise?
I imagine it'll take a 68000-socket accelerator, but is that worthwhile?
What's the best way to fit a hard disk (if indeed, even that's worthwhile)

Finally, I'm going to be on the lookout for exciting CDTV software to play with on it! Recommendations, please!

(y)

Well, you can play some games (Defender of the Crown for example, only speech please) or see some educational software, or even an Encyclopedia. :)

About upgrades, if you want to use it as a CDTV and only, there's no need to upgrade to anything. If you want to make it a WHDLoad machine to play games in your living room, then you will need a SCSI module to plug a SCSI HD and also Elbox's 2MB Fast RAM would be nice too.

You will not need accelerator for this, or maybe you can plug a 68010 for WHDLoad, but you will not have 100% compatibility with your CDTV titles then. You decide. :)

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I am glad everything is working fine .. I had no doubt as i fired it up before packaging it (y)

A cool addition would be i think the trackerball because that has ports to plug in a normal DB9 Amiga/C64 joystick.

You may have noticed i included 2 remote controls.

The one with the button for mouse/joy is a little dodgy iirc.. The one with the switch is almost brand new, i bought it new old stock.

Enjoy it (y)

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
Soooo many options :D

I've put the SCSI module in mine, along with SCSI->IDE->CF, upgraded ROMs to 2.3 which allows me to use KS3.1 in there (on a switch with 1.3 for compatibility)...

I need to find a decent way to get the lid on with the CSA Mega Midget RAcer in there :D

And perhaps take the chipram to 2MB... Then I'll be done with it!

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I'm thinking a Kickstart switch and an accelerator with 68000 fallback mode is probably the optimal solution here. Then I can have it in vanilla CDTV mode and super-powered Amiga mode.

I suspect a hard disk controller is probably going to be first on the list of requirements. Alas, I'll probably have to put off actually buying anything for it until next month.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Hi Andy, I have a kickstart switcher and SCSI controller if you want it.:)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Reading your post above Andy, Yeah the Kickstart Switcher & the SCSI adapter wouold be my choice of addon's. Whilst reading it, I'm also thinking you have more chance of finding hens teeth than a CDTV SCSI adapter & here's Phantom offering you one as I read the next post. :eek:

Throw these at your CDTV m8y & you're gunno love it to bits.

@ Phantom

You never cease to amaze me m8, really. (y)

Kin

Muzer

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Hampshire
I'd like to know the best way I can add a hard drive to mine!

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
I'd like to know the best way I can add a hard drive to mine!

Afaik, either this:

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=1669

or this:

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=1251

The CDTV did not have quite the expandability of it's fellow Amiga bro's of the same era. The CDTV had dedicated expansion ports for SCSI, Video adapters etc. I use to have a dedicated CDTV URL & can not find the darn link anywhere. - Can anyone else oblige accordingly?

Kin

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
SCSI adaptor. Or a plugin adaptor like the CFIDE86k

One thing to bear in mind with the accelerator (with fallback mode) is that it'll fit in the 68k socket, and with one fitted the lid will no longer go on...

This is the very dilemma I'm facing now :D

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Stay off an IDE device with a 68000 CPU. The hit on the systems performance will be really bad. Even an 060 gets walloped with IDE in an A4KD.

SCSI on a CDTV all the way. ;)

Kin

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
SCSI adaptor. Or a plugin adaptor like the CFIDE86k

One thing to bear in mind with the accelerator (with fallback mode) is that it'll fit in the 68k socket, and with one fitted the lid will no longer go on...

This is the very dilemma I'm facing now :D

Ah. I hoped there'd be plenty of space (after all, it's much taller than a standard A500). What accelerator are you trying to fit into it? I was thinking something like a Derringer would have been ideal.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
You can use A500 accelerator cards on the CDTV, but the top case will not entirely close. :(

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Things to do with CDTV: play CDTV & A500 OCS games.

Upgrading it with an IDE controller will be cheap enough. The TomThull's board is really all you need. Burn a custom boot CD with Workbench and hardware drivers on it (or a floppy) and problem solved.

As other people said, you won't be able to close the lid again. Some guys made a custom top lid in acrylic to solve the problem.

As the 3.1 ROM: do you think it worth the effort? 2.04 will be enough for a 68000 machine.

SCSI? Are you a speed addicted? No? IDE will suffice, then.

Again, Tomthull's or IDE68k, at your choice.

If I have a CDTV I will leave it standard to play CDTV & A500 classic titles. Notice that I don't need one, I have an A500 with SCSI HD & CD, 2.04 & 1+4Mb RAM. It plays CDTV titles very nicely.:mrgreen:

Yeah, call me a show-of!:p

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
I'm trying to fit in a CSA Mega Midget Racer. Unfortunately to clear the caps, power connectors, chips and all other malarky you need to put about 2 extra CPU socket raisers in there.

Closing the lid is, sadly, impossible. Binox had an interesting solution, and another option is to cut a hole in the original lid and create a new smaller stepped lid for it.

I'll put pics up :D

Top Bottom