What to try next?

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Ok, I'm a proud owner of an A600, an A1200, an A4000, a C64, a C128, a Vic-20 and a Spectravideo 328. I've had an A500 (actually two) and an A2000 recently and I've even had an Atari 1040 STe. :ninja:

Now I for some unexplainable reason would like to try something new and different in the world of retro hw.

What machine would you guys and gals suggest? :readit:

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
Any classic 68k Macintosh. One of the Mac II models or one of the later compact Macs (SE/30 or Classic II) would be a good choice. I still use mine regularily just because the interface is so nice :)

playgeneration

Country
South Wales, UK
Atari 800 - you've got early commodore machines, so see what the alternative was like. Also its kind of a distant amiga relative, with its custom chips designed by someone in particular. Such great hardware for 1979, and much better versions of classic games than on the 2600.

MSX is a nice buy too. Some very cheap models out there, and lots of obscure games to discover.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
BBC, Electron or Amstrad 464/664, or maybe even Dragon 32 or 64 if you are a masochist :LOL:

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
Ok, I'm a proud owner of an A600, an A1200, an A4000, a C64, a C128, a Vic-20 and a Spectravideo 328. I've had an A500 (actually two) and an A2000 recently and I've even had an Atari 1040 STe. :ninja:

Now I for some unexplainable reason would like to try something new and different in the world of retro hw.

What machine would you guys and gals suggest? :readit:

Nobody mention the Acorn Archimedes? or Sharp x68000?

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Thanks for good suggestions! Speccy +2/3 and Archimedes have also been on my mind. Archies seem to be providing quite a big bang for a buck and Sinclair - well, it's just Clive! :p Also a Spectravideo 738 MSX with its internal 3,5" floppy and possibility to upgrade to MSX2 is quite intriguing.

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
It seems that it will be a choice between Acorn Archimedes 30x0, Spectrum +2/3 or an MSX2 series computer.
I've already been offered an MSX2 but do Acorn and Spectrum offer something that MSX doesn't? Acorn of course is in it's own performance class but which system has the best expandability?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Best chances of expansion: MSX (but no USB), seconded by the Speccy (IDE/SCSI, USB, no possibility of CPU upgrade).

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Do the desktop model MSXs offer any other advantages than extra space for modifications over the C-I-K ones?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Some square box MSX with detached keyboard have enough room inside for heavy expansioning (does this word exists?).

Most all-under-the-keyboard will look like an heavily expanded A500 otherwise (1m lateral space, 80cm in depth). Buy a large desk!

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Which one has better basic, the +2/3 or MSX2?

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Well, I ended up getting a Philips NMS-8250 MSX2 machine. It is slightly modded already containing fast diskrom, memory counter, modified sound and power supply.
I'll put some pictures in the photo booth section, once it arrives. This will be my first MSX machine. Well, ok, I got the SVI-728 but that's going to my friend and the darned thing is still not working.

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
what about a Dragon 32 ? my 1st computer! lol :)

Merlin already suggested that in the previous page. Had to double check from the wikipedia as I thought it would have looked like, which turned out to be an Aquarius.

Top Bottom