What you need to know about the PS3 HD

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I recently upgraded my PS3 HDD from 160GB to 500GB, in the process I had to sort through a lot of guesswork and FUD.

This is what I found out.

• 1) Upgrading HDD on same system
    • To do this you will need a FAT32 formatted HD with free space equal to or greater than the size of used space on your PS3.
    • FAT32Format is a nice minimalistic tool to handle FAT32 formatting under windows
    • If you restore the backuped data on the SAME Playstation3 as you copied them from, DRM content will be intact
    • The backup tool is located under "Settings -> System Settings -> Backup utility". This is where you do both the backup and restore.

• 2) Swapping PS3 system
    • The typical scenario here is swapping between a PS3 Fat and a PS3 slim, or to a PS3 model with PS2 emmulation capabilities.
    • You'll need two Playstation 3 systems (doh!)
    • You'll need a normal network cable
    • You'll "migrate" your data using the "Settings > System Settings > Data Transfer Utility".
    • This will move content with DRM protection, and copy all other content from the old system to the new system.
  • 3) Need to send your PS3 in for service?
    • This could be a YLoD situation, or another situation where you cannot access the XsMB OS of your Playstation3, and must return the machine to Sony for repair
    • Sony might format your drive during such a service, so all content already downloaded might need redownloading, and other content from your camera, ipod or such might get lost.
    • To get around a situation like this, make a bit-for-bit/sector-for-sector copy of your harddrive before returning it.
    • The Playstation System Filesystem is encrypted, and the Playstation3 HDD cannot be accessed on a filesystem level by any other device at the moment.
    • Tools which can access the hdd and image it are Northon Ghost and HDClone
    • The result is a clone of your harddrive, this clone can be used in a new system in case Sony replaces your console with a new one.
    • Limitations are that cloning cannot be used to increase the harddrive, only back it up.
  • 4) Upgrading to Firmware 3.21 (no other-os)
    • When you upgrade to firmware 3.21 Sony will remove the "OtherOS" functionality on your console
    • If you have another OS installed (linux like me) the space used by that OS will not be freed (typically 10GB)
    • The firmware simply just removes the possability to launch the other os, and install a new one.
    • To reclaim the space used by the other os, you will need to do a reformat.
    • What you can do is a backup-format-restore cycle. This will reclaim the 10GB of space.
I hope this sorts it out for you. There are lots of discussion on these topics out there, but very little on what to do and when to do it.

I borrowed a friends PS3 this weekend and I've played through all four scenarios.

It was very time consuming, as I wasn't smart enough to play with a small dataset, I used my actual harddrives and content. Also, after migrating all the data to my friends slim console, I had to migrate it back to the ps3 fat to make sure I had all my DRM contents.

My friends Playstation3 was not harmed in these experiments. Neither was mine for that matter.

Some metrics so that you know what you go to:

• I use 5400rpm HDDs, since it's in a game console I won't splash out on high performance drives
  • My Playstation3 HDD has about 145GB of content on it.
  • Backuped by the Playstation3 it's about 99GB worth of HDD space
  • Backup process takes about 2h and 30m.
  • Restore process takes about 4h and 30m.
I cannot say how long the network transfers used as I didn't monitor them since it all took so long. But I belive that network cables are slower than USB2, I would expect that it took longer.

Last edited:

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
[*]You'll need two Playstation 2 systems (doh!)

Slight feeling you have an error there... 2->3

Beside that, great article. I however only have one PS2 (and no PS3)

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
I am amazed that the restore process takes longer than the backup one!!!

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I think it's because it does a lot of DRM validation during restore, I'm just speculating.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
it is insane, almost double the time! drv validation takes 1-2 secs at worst , they just change the console ID and re-sign the data, not a big deal AFAIK...
ah, the mysteries of the ps3 system :p

Top Bottom