Where have all the Three Button Mice Gone?

Charlie

.. . Mouse . ..
Country
UK
Region
Wirral
Ok, so it's not of Earth-shattering importance but, frankly, WHY?

-I'm after a mouse...
...ok, there's millions. No problem there.
-I'd like an optical one as I'm tired of cleaning guck off my balls...
...ewww, still no problem.
-I'd like a three-button mouse...
...yep, no prob...
No!
I know what you're going to say...
I Don't Want a $@56&^% Scroll-Wheel Mouse!​

I want an optical mouse with three, count them, one, Two, THREE!!! buttons, d*mn it! No scroll wheel.

Is that really so much to ask? Why does nobody seem to make such a mouse? Let's face it, there's plenty of people about running *NIX-like systems for which a scroll-wheel is of little use but a middle button is a must - if you dont' need/want a scroll-wheel a button is much more comfortable...

...now I've never gotten on with any flavour of *NIX (well, NetBSD is just about acceptable) but that's the subject of another rant. The point is such mice should be common...

Why aren't they?

Yes, HP used to make a proper three-button optical mouse - no more, it seems...​

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Your best bet will probably to try and find a Sun Microsystems mouse. The modern ones are optical USB mice, but I think they still have three buttons, since Solaris makes use of all three.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I did a search and could not find it too.. (three buttons)

Still to my honest believe, the scroll button is clickable and performs the same function as the middle mouse button if you just click it, so that should do or not?:roll:

As I hook it up at recent linux, it acts like the middle mouse button when pushed and the scroll works out of the box after 2 seconds..

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Charlie said:
I'm tired of cleaning guck off my balls... ...ewww, still no problem.

That's 2010 Quote Contest material, that is!!

:LOL:

subcon959

Country
UK
Region
Wigan
Erm, I already posted a link for the HP 3 button optical mouse :unsure:

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Erm, I already posted a link for the HP 3 button optical mouse :unsure:

But it's USB only. However, Charlie did not specify what port he wanted to use. > :shrug:

Kin

I suspect, and I may be wrong.... it MAY be for an Acorn machine of some sort...

wild guess....:p:nod:
In which case, any sort of PC mouse is gonna be of no use to him, as the interface is very different in PC mice (the way it sends movement signals etc.) whereas an Amiga or ST compatible mouse can easily be adapted (with the correct pin-out information) for use on an Acorn Archimedes.

The only reason for using a PC mouse on an Acorn is if he has one of those PC -> Acorn mouse adaptors (which, coincidentally, are quite expensive)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I used to use a PC Serial Mouse with my RiscPC, it wasn't ideal, but it just-about worked.

Top Bottom