TC :mrgreen:

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Re: Who has the edge? ATI vs NVIDIA

Just noticed my three categories are four...

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas

Unfortunately there are reasons for purchasing either manufacturer. It's all dependant on your desires in a card. For HDMI output, the ATI cards are very very nice, with 7 channel audio output as well. Offset that with the fact that software doesn't exist yet to take advantage of it. NVidia cards do very good video acceleration, but their 2D graphics abilities are not as good as ATI. Why is 2D important? Photoshop for one.

My ATI card is super silent, but it doesn't have the stock cooler on it. For stock cooler design, NVidia Wins hands down.

NVidia wins on the framerate scale untill you take price into account, then they lose horribly. The price to performance ratio is very high on ATI cards, especially when I can get an HD4850 which performs close to at GTX260 for 115 USD locally from a computer store. The GTX260 locally is still 200 USD (199.99 - stupid pricing, just call it 200 and be done with it!!!) As for good drivers for Ubuntu, I don't know neither my GeForce 8800GTX or my Radeon 4850 had good drivers in Ubuntu and I had to use the proprietary drivers to run acceleration properly, with Ubuntu bitching at me the entire time about me using proprietary items.

The fastest single GPU card right now is listed as the Radeon HD4890. If you want a dual GPU card the fastest available is the GTX295 (I think...)

There's a nice website called www.tomshardware.com that has charts that compare all the different cards from various manufacturers to give you the lowdown on which card is the best each individual price range. Check them out.

Nathan

PhilipMcD

Country
Country
Region
Region

Dreamcast270mhz said:
Picasso!!!

CGFX !!

... runs :run:

More seriously though, I've always been under the impression that Geforces are better for games but Radeons fare most well at general use, overall.

Not sure where I got this guideline from as I'm not very technical.

I'm sure Kinny or someone will correct me though if it's not the case. :shrug:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

LMFAO!!!!!! AGA/CGX lol!!!

okay, one in the eye of ATI fanboi's I am afraid to say on a PURELY physical level the NVidia has more grunt than an ATI card in its price range!

I am not just basing it on the fact I have two comparably priced cards here, but also I have access to white papers and schematics from the manufactures themselfs.

The above are NOT normally published but you can request them from the Nvidia / ATI on the basis of developemnt (gotta love some perks of UNI graphics labs :D)

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,

I have never, ever, ever liked ATI, and since 3DFX folded, I have always built with Nvidia. I hated doing service work on an ATI machine, it was always a #$#% finding the right driver, especially when you basicly had to open the box and find the right card then pray you could find the right driver (of course this was all before the Catylist era). It was just nvidia made it so much easier with 1 flipin driver.
Lately N has been going downhill, but not enough to get me to try ATI, everytime I try one I get burnt with so much "extra" borgwear, its pathetic.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

nvidia baby yeah!
ATI only rendering visable sides for a speed increase is plop causing tearing as you pan around a solid object, nvidia slower rendering as it draws the whole object but much quicker as you go around the object as it doesn't need to render on the fly wooooohooooo!

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

GTX295 all the way baby! :mrgreen:

Nuff said.

Kin

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

YOU ARE OFF TOPIC: AGA RULES! :woot:

tbh, if I had to chose between nVidia & ATI, I'd chose nVidia every time.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

LOL Woody....

So 4 voting for AGA means 3 of em probably would have chosen nVidia anyways....

Kin

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce

ATI is much cheaper and already went the DX10.1 way, but has more problems with lousy drivers and older games.
I'm still waiting for NVidia to sort out if it want's to support DX11 or not, but aside that - FTW!

Until that, AGA FTW!

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Of ASUS, XFX, GainWard, EVGA and MSI, who makes the best GX295, and which one is the most quiet?

ASUS: ENGTX295/2DI/1792MD3
EVGA: 017-P3-1295-ER
Gainward: 426018336-0506
MSI: N295GTX-2D1792 (link is down atm)
XFX: GX-295N-HWFA

But several of these quote that they need a 680W PSU, I'll never find a mATX PSU with such a rating, so then it won't be/can't be a mini tower.

Also, Kin your input is wanted on the other thread ;-) :jester:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

arnljot said:
Of ASUS, XFX, GainWard, EVGA and MSI, who makes the best GX295, and which one is the most quiet? <snip>

It's all a new game now Arnljot. The GTX295 is now on a single PCB. I expect that had something to do with this new state of the art X58 Motherboard. 7 x FULL 16x PCI-e slots. :shock:

Gimme one with 4 x GTX295's & 2 x 1.2KW PSU's . :nuts: :drool: :drool:

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

As I mentioned somewhere else. I don't stick to one make. I've owned equal numbers of nVidia and ATI cards over the years, and before that Matrox, many years ago.

The high end nVidia cards are fast, there is no denying that, but they are ridiculously expensive and in my view not worth it. £329 for a GPU in my view is just not worth it. In comparison at the moment you can get an ATI 4890 for close to £140 and it is a great card, which is over £180 less that a 295 so you could stick two in your system in crossfire mode. In those terms price to performance means ATI easy wins at the moment. The 295 may be a brilliant card that is fast, but a complete rip off.

I've also never seen much evidence of ATI graphics drives being any worse than nVidias. Both work perfectly with any games I've thrown at them. Years ago that might have been the case, but these days its like comparing today's Skodas with those of the past. You can't.

Regarding Linux. nVidia does win here. I have never managed to get drivers working with an ATI card in Ubuntu. However I've also not had a huge success with nVidia cards, which is why my Linux box current has an old Matrox G400 Max in it.

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901

it depends upon your card model, for example, my mobility radeon 7200 uses the fireGL driver, which p :censored:s me off because it won't provide 3d-acceleration, but as soon as I change the driver, my xorg refuses to boot. That is why I am selling the laptop. On the other hand, my nvidia 5200 FX may be old, but Ubuntu, even the new versions, don't like it.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Harrison said:
<snip> The 295 may be a brilliant card that is fast, but a complete rip off. <snip>

In your opinion Harrison, but consider this:

I paid £350 for a Hercules GeForce2 ULTRA with a Blue PCB in it's day. :nuts:
You can pay Less than this for a GTX295 at todays pricing & it blows it out of the Universe in terms of FLOPS & pure Graphical throughput.

So no, it does what it says on the Box & costs less than £350 if you shop around. Absolute Bargin tbh & of course, imo. (y)

Kin

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire

To be honest i have always preferred ATI 8) The last Nvidia card i owned was a 7900GT and it was a bit crap compared to ATI's offerings at the time! Ever since then i have stuck with ATI as they have decent power consumption, great price, superior picture quality and great HDMI.... they are still bloody fast too - and mine are quiet :nod:

ATI can have slightly "iffy" drivers at times but they are not as bad as some people make them out to be.... I've had no real issues in the last few years apart from Unreal Tournament 3 which was slightly annoying! They were also the first to support DirectX 10.1 and PCI-E 2.0 (great for my Intel X38 based motherboard at the time :D ).

Nvidia and ATI always take turns at being the best.... ATI will be best one day then it wil be Nvidia... then ATI again and it goes on.....

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia

Excume me. Where is AAA? :run:

Top Bottom