Status
Not open for further replies.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Re: Who on here works in the IT industry ?

My title is quite generic: Information Technology Manager

I work at a small company that makes Poultry Chilling and Ice Making equipment (www.morris-associates.com). My job basically entails managing 4 internal servers and supporting around 50 workstation/notebooks. I also take care of anything even slightly technical (Cell Phones, PBX, etc) and help our marketing person with the technical aspects of our web site.

I'm also learning how to program our touch screen interface and programmable logic controllers that we use in the equipment we manufacture. I'm excited about doing more creative stuff like that instead of the same old break/fix work supporting the users.

Heather

leohopkins

Frozen
Country
Croydon, England

Sounds interesting :)

The reason i asked this is because im a student through the open university and am studying for a bachelors degree in engineering (im in my first year) - I will studying for the CCNA (as part of my uni studies, and fingers crossed, this time next year i'll be CCNA certified.) My question is: Without prior IT industry experience, and without any other certifications (such as A+, MCSE etc) Do you reckon I could get a job in IT on the back of the CCNA qualification alone ?

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

Good question! I have never had any formal training myself. At one point, I did take one of the Microsoft certification tests for Windows NT 4 Server and got a certification for it. I started out doing Help Desk work but quickly moved on to more advanced roles because I was very good at my job. I worked at Nortel, before they started to tank, and was in the Level 3 Support group. We basically taught the second level techs new information or processes and we fixed issues that first or second level techs were unable to fix.

From what I've seen in the technology industry in the United States, you almost always start out doing some sort of position other than what you really want to do. Your case may be different as Cisco technicians are very sought after and much more specialized than a general computer technician. Having a degree as well as a CCNA will probably get you a nice starting position easier than the CCNA alone would.

Certifications, and a college degree for that matter, are usually used as a filter by employers to see who they want to bring in and interview. I have not personally seen much benefit to having a bunch of certifications except in getting an interview.

I don't put a lot of stock in Certifications simply because many training companies "Guarantee Certification". If anyone can be guaranteed certification then where is the value in having one?

Just my thoughts :D

Heather

leohopkins

Frozen
Country
Croydon, England

I think the way the training companies work buy guaranteeing certification is they just keep trainng you and training you and training you until you pass..........From what ive seen they are all a bit of a rip-off (with ads saying you could pass in 3 months etc - yeah right) - My uni makes no quarms about it - It will take me 9 months to complete the module and ill be studying for 12 hours a week on that module alone; along with 4 seperate residential school days. The certification test isnt taken through the university (or any of these "training schools") - Its taken through Prometric or Vue. - Ill have to pay for the CCNA exam myself but my uni will bring me up to the level where I could pass. Its quite good that you managed to get in to IT without any qualifications in the field at all - but I guess that those days are long gone : - (

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire

For my sins i do and always have worked in the IT industry. Currently working as the IT Manager for Latitudeuk.com and also provide independent consultation for a few enterprise customers in my spare time. Spend most of my days designing and installing DataCenters, provide independent VMware enterprise consultation and also iscsi based storage solutions for BAA (gatwick and T5). I am certified MCSE2003, VCP-310, XCP (xen certified), Netbotz certified, Solaris certified, done my CCNA and about to start my CCNP but i really want to do the Red Hat Enterprise certs as i`m a unix person at heart...

Theirs a pile of other certs that i`ve completed but not that relevant with today`s technology solutions.

All in all a true geek at heart and if their were Amiga based certs then i`d probably have a bash at those aswell :)

cheers,

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

I actually lied on my resume to get my first computer related job. I had a friend who owned a small computer store (Amiga store, actually) who let me put that I worked there for him for a couple years. The only reason I lied is because I knew they would not hire me, even though I really did know what I was doing. They thought I was good as well because I kept getting raises every six months for the first two years I worked there.

It seems that many people who are great in the computer industry just have a passion for it and that many of them never had formal training.

Good luck!

Heather

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire

Yup i totally agree, i only gained my certs in the job not before, i`ve been doing this since 8 years old (scary), i was unfortunately brought up with IT as my step father was a project manager for schlumberger back in the 80`s... I think it`s fantastic for those that want to get into an IT career and have a genuine passion for it, what i found was that the market was swamped with people who thought IT was easy and it would be easy money, most of those have now gone but those that are genuine you can spot a mile off... :) My wife just thinks i`m weird when i get excited about Miggy talk... She`s the same with scuba diving so each to their own ;)

cheers,

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

I definitely get excited about it. I constantly tell my friends that I'm a total geek! I became a fan of the Commodore Amiga on Facebook and my friend Karen wrote the following to me:

"YOU R a GEEK!! Joining commodore Amiga???? LOL"

The great thing is that it's much more accepted now than it was in the 80s.

Heather

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire

ah cool i think i have joined that group aswell. i`ll keep an eye out for you :)

leohopkins

Frozen
Country
Croydon, England

Well, me. I have a real passion for technology and the reason why im doing the CCNA as part of my degree course is that because I will be CCNA certified by the end of the year, id like to get a job in IT that pays a fairly decent wage (by decent i mean more than the meesley £7 per hour i get now) to see me through the rest of my studies. In the meantime I also intend to teach myself C++ and Java. Once ive completed my degree id like to go on to research hydrogen fuel cell technology through a PhD. Once ive done that work, ill either get back into IT again or stay in the hydogen fuel cell industry.....that only time will tell.

Anyway........does anyone know how to use adf2disk ?

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

Google Search for "adf2disk"
2nd Hit = full intructions on use

In the meantime I also intend to teach myself C++ and Java
learn to google first

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

@leohopkins / Imnogeek
Now Now Boys........play nice..... :LOL:

Leo for what it's worth I know Imnogeek fairly well and don't believe he is trying to be sarcastic, I actually read his post as good advice. You have raised many questions in the last week in which you can easily gain so much insight and knowledge by simply googling or searching some forums such as EAB or Aminet.
Especially If you want to work in IT your best friend is your own intuition & drive to search for answers by any means to get an instant solution, I think most System Engineers / Admins these days actually prefer "google" to Microsofts "technet" when trying to fix a troublesome server in a hurry, I certainly do and many of my colleagues as well. You can spend a day on Aminet & read so much, you would walk away an Amiga Expert!

We here share as much knowledge as we have available to us but you will probably find that everytime someone poses a question on here or EAB & we wish to help, If we don't know the answer straight off then we either search the forums / Aminet or "google" for it.

I'm not trying to cause offence with this post that is not intended, it's just my way of stating the fact that the most important thing we learn first when working with IT / Computing is the ability & the resource to stand on our own two feet, to know where to go to get the info we urgently require.

Best regards
TC 8)

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

@leohopkins

First I would like to say that I agree with everything TC says above.
I would also like to add that if you are to reseach/google your problem first, you may get far more insight into the issue than somebody just answering a question.

May I also apologize for my sarcasm, it was uncalled-for and not my normal manner.

And to get this thread back on topic... I too am in the IT industry, I have my own business servicing small businesses in and around Leicestershire/Derbyshire.

leohopkins

Frozen
Country
Croydon, England

Apology accepted. The reason why i ask on here as opposed to google is simple: its more interactive. - If I read a section of text which raises another question in my head which the text does not answer then thats not much use. Asking a question with answers coming in a thread like manner means that I can obtain different opinions and points of interest can be debated upon and argued, aswell as questions being answered - that, is what a forum is for.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ Leo

Resources are all around you if you just take the time to look. It would then save people feeling frustrated with regard to what most Amigans call basic stuff!
If you did some of the basic stuff yourself, then linked what you had already found with a question in here, no one would have to feel they should be apologising as Imnogeek has.
I did say already on another thread, "what's next, .DMS or .ADF & you just had to ignore what I said & post another thread about .ADF files!

Just for the record, Imnogeek is a gentleman, but I'm sure he is as pi$$ed as I am with the bombardment of Emails about thread updates only to find Leo is the perpetrator! I'm worth a small fortune with the self-betting I have been doing despite using even odds all the time. :LOL:

@ Imnogeek

I appreciate your frustrations explicitly.

@ all

Get Google or your other favourite search Engine out before asking questions. Any frustrations after this will probably be due to your own incapabilities to exercise the Grey Matter behind those now bleeding eyes. :roll:

/....Kin looks for his glasses....

leohopkins

Frozen
Country
Croydon, England

Im sorry, i thought this was a discussion forum, I must have been mistaken. Apologies.

For the record.........

........oh forget it. ::sigh::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom