Who Remembers Apricot Computers

Vyncynt

Country
USA
Region
Alabama
I remember seeing advertisements for these in old computer magazines.

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
my first PC came with an Apricot that they were throwing out.

White, orange screen i remember very little about it other that it was very slow for the time (1994)

nice looking machine too, i binned it shortly after

Nobby_UK

Country
England
Region
Liverpool, Lancs
A job club (held in Goodison Park) I attended had a Luggable Apricot.

retrodave

Country
Wales, UK
Region
West Glamorgan
The first Apricot I ever saw was in a stack of vintage (now, not then!) ex-work machines in an programmer's storage caravan in the early 90s - I got the impression they were a nice alternative to IBMs at the time ;)

ej2095

Country
UK
Region
Tipton, West Midlands
Sure a company in the UK called Kamalzoo used to use the things as well

merlin1968

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Derby
Used an Apricot (ACT F1 actually) whilst on work placement from college, at East Midlands Airport in 1984.

Brings back memories..

They also had an ICL DRS20 Mini I got to use, and I remember there was a woman who came round the office with a tea trolly and biscuits (a bit like Mrs Overall).

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I remember there being an Apricot store in Southampton in the 80's and going in there one day whilst waiting for my parents to look in a music store to buy an electric organ.

If anyone knows Southampton it was in the East Street Shopping Centre, upstairs overlooking the music store and newsagents. That shopping centre is now no more, knocked down recently, as was the other shopping centre at the top of East Street, the Bar Gate Centre. I actually remember that one being built in the late 80's, but it never really did take off that well, other than Sega park and Game.

ratfink

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
We replaced an old ICL z80-based system the size of a big desk [8" drives!] with some Apricot xen machines around 1987-88, not sure which model, I'm guessing 386-based. Reprogrammed the software from BASIC to Fortran at the same time.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
It's mad to think people were using such archaic machines in the late 80s when the Amiga already existed.

Top Bottom