Whoops...

edd_jedi

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
This isn't the first time a game has driven me so mad I've broken a controller or something, but it's been a long time! Zelda - Oracle of Seasons on the GBC emulator on my JXD. The final boss - spent a good hour trying to beat him, in the end even resorting to saving a state every time I hit him (because it takes about half an hour just to get to him if you die) but nope, I conclude he is impossible to defeat. Even with full energy you cannot avoid his flame attack, and you need to hit him more times than he hits you. The result, fist through JXD screen :picard

I know this subject has come up before, but why do some game programmers make them so damn hard? There's a fine line between challenging and infuriating, or in this case literally impossible. I wouldn't claim to be the best gamer in the world but I've completed pretty much every other Zelda game and never come across a boss even half as tough as this one. If you have beaten this game before, I take my hat off to you.

So, anybody know where to get a new screen for my S7800? :oops:

Attachments

• jxd.jpg
    jxd.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I've beat Oracle of Seasons but it was a long time ago and I don't remember much about the final boss battle. Sorry you broke your screen trying. :( Hopefully you can get a replacement screen.

Heather

sweetlilmre

Country
South Africa
Region
KwaZulu / Natal
Please don't ever take up SMD soldering. Or perhaps do, punching a soldering iron might teach you a valuable lesson in self restraint.

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
its easy done to be honest,ive broke a few .

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I agree regarding overly difficult encounters in a game. There have been quite a few games over the years where I've given up on them because an encounter has just been too hard to easily beat. It destroys the enjoyment of the game. Obviously getting past such an encounter instils a sense of achievement, but still ruins the enjoyment and flow of a game.

Regarding destroying a game controller/device due to frustration, I've never done so.

Best bet for a replacement screen is probably eBay, as I expect it using an off the shelf screen common with other devices/tablets, but I could be wrong. First you need to find a part number for it.

edd_jedi

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
I managed to find and replace the LCD easily enough, but in the process managed to damage the ribbon cable :picard so am currently waiting for that to arrive.

I don't so much mind difficult bosses/enemies, the problem with the later stages of Zelda games is that if you lose, you have to navigate through the entire maze again and then defeat the "pre-bosses". I always try to avoid using save states as it's cheating, but I honestly do not know how people have beaten some of these games. The repetition drives me crazy they must have much more patience (and time!) than I have!

Last edited:

Slayer

Country
New Zealand
Region
Dunedin
C'mon, we might as well all admitt just how bloody good it feels to destroy something we own from time to timeI'm not prone to it anymore but I used to love the power over my purchases, a great reason to get something new. That's why I always corner hard with my vehicles, they aren't supposed to last 5 years let alone 20 ;-)

edd_jedi

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
It's alive again! Utter pain in the arse replacing the screen, I broke the ribbon cable on the first attempt so had to wait 2 weeks for a new one to arrive, and it's so fiddly it took a good 10 goes to get it seated properly, I almost gave up. moral of the story - don't break tablets! They're not as easy to fix as Amiga's! :)

It's up for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested, I bought another one while I was waiting for the new screen to arrive from China as I couldn't face a month of 3 hours daily commuting with no gaming.

jxd-2.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I did eventually beat the boss in Oracle of Seasons :) playing Minish Cap now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom