Why are boilers so expensive?!

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
It's Amirant time, and although I'm much calmer now than I was yesterday, it's still rant-time.

My hot water boiler has packed up, it leaks and trips the RCD, so I've had to switch it off. By all accounts it's going to cost me a four-figure number to get a new one fitted. SERIOUSLY! ALL IT DOES IS BURN GAS TO HEAT WATER, HOW HARD CAN IT BE? Admittedly, a chunk of that will be paying a plumber to install it, which will be no mean feat, but still!

The next question is working out how many Amigas I'm going to have to sell :-(

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
do a google for boiler scrappage scheme, I don't knoww if it is running yet but it may help. Also check moneysavingexpert for info on best deals and various other ways of getting help with costs. At the moment the government is trying to encourage us to get more efficient means of heating and there are incentives around.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Gary is right; if you hunt around, there are companies that could score a grant towards your new boiler as they will install a more efficient one.

Personally, I would recommend a Worcester Bosch boiler; they are the mutt's nuts of boilers and being German, are ever so slightly over-engineered, which translates into being highly reliable. The Junior or the 28i are very good.

Make sure that whoever installs it is Gas Safe registered - CORGI doesn't exist any more. Also, make sure that you get a Part P Certificate for any work done, as that will form part of your Home Pack if you ever move house.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
If you mean a boiler, = where hot water is stored, then you could easily fit one yourself, especially if it's the same size.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
If you mean a boiler, = where hot water is stored, then you could easily fit one yourself, especially if it's the same size.

Alas, it's the gas-fired boiler that heats the water. In the UK you need to get a registered installer to do it for you. I can manage a fair old bit of DIY, but this is way beyond me. :-(

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ Andy

There lies the problem. Fitting a Gas Boiler these days has to be carried out by Certified Engineers. Also, boiler technology has come a long way & the law requires boilers which self condense. (all moisture is kept in the boiler & discharged via an outlet pipe & into a controlled water waste.)

Your best bang being in this situation is taking Merlins Advice RE the Worcester Bosch brand. I'd also rate Baxi (6 years now without issue) & point you towards a Condensing Combi boiler. No water tank in the loft anymore & no copper tank in an Airing cupboard. Some of the bigger models have a pre-heat chamber within the boiler so you have virtually hot water as soon as you turn the tap. - Depends how much you want to spend.
British Gas are worthwhile considering to ge the work done & take their cover out too. It's awesome.

Good luck fella. (y)

Charlie

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
The combi's here have a standart, means unloosen all nuts and bolds take it off and put another one in place.

If you woul'd get into trouble at your home doing that, better lieve it of course.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
The combi's here have a standart, means unloosen all nuts and bolds take it off and put another one in place.

If you woul'd get into trouble at your home doing that, better lieve it of course.

Not half, Jurgen; the Health and Safety Executive in the UK prosecute people for illegally doing their own gas fitting work these days.....:wooha:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Oh :( I would not have somebody renting a place were I've done the installation..

But if it would be for my house, even there is a law against it, I would just replace it with new old stock & make sure it is properly done!

But if it is that strickt in UK, best to have it repaired then..There are some rules here to, about ventilation, exhaust system, gas lines, water ruling

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I use Vaillants everywhere.. Appartments, at home(y) They do have wear and tear, and need some cleaning once in a year, or when you use it very economic once in two or three years. (at home 6 years without any cleaning the unit, it never saw a repair technician (y))

I mean the parts that are heated attract some components of the water, meaning getting thick walls, being less efficient and giving up after some time.. But that is the only disfunction mostly, except water pumps, electronics that happens seldom with these units, and I have 15 to look over for:|(y) The repair guys ask 30 eu per hour, but he knows he is getting kicked if he **** up.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
My current boiler is a Potterton Prima 50F (Potterton are a subdivision of Baxi) -- As far as I can tell, the unit is the one that came with the property when it was built, so it's done 16/17 years of service. According to Potterton, it's G-rated for efficiency, so I'm taking the positive view that this exercise isn't about replacing a faulty boiler, but is in fact ordering a modern, more-efficient boiler that will pay for itself in the long run in fuel bill savings. :)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Andy, when you don't have to pay the bill you don't care about efficiency.:)

I only care about my personal home bill..

16 years is very good(y) The only boiler that I know working a lot longer is 30+ burning diesel engine fuel at my parents...(replacing the the "burning unit" only two times)

I think for gass burners where they are installed is important, since they need a huge amount of fresh air... Taken from outside:whistle: So have it installed in a place where you do not heat, and can isolate between that place and everything else. And give them a large ventilation hole from the outside world.. It sound's crazy but they need it to be efficient(y)

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Jurgen,

Modern boilers that are fitted in the UK have a balanced flue, in that air drawn in and fumes from the boiler are exhausted through a vent with both pipes in it.

They have to be fitted by registered Gas Safe engineers to ensure that the flue operates as designed and doesn't vent carbon monoxide back into the building.

There have been quite a few landlords prosecuted for badly fitted boilers, some of which killed tenants, so it is taken very seriously in the UK.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
i thought you could fit them yourself as long as the fitting was then checked and certified by a qualified technician? (I could well be wrong, it's just what i thought)

Jurgen,

Modern boilers that are fitted in the UK have a balanced flue, in that air drawn in and fumes from the boiler are exhausted through a vent with both pipes in it.

They have to be fitted by registered Gas Safe engineers to ensure that the flue operates as designed and doesn't vent carbon monoxide back into the building.

There have been quite a few landlords prosecuted for badly fitted boilers, some of which killed tenants, so it is taken very seriously in the UK.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ JuvUK

No, you can't install your own equipment. This is due to the cases where badly fitted gas fires and boilers have caused deaths due to CO poisoning, so only Gas Safe registered fitters can install and service gas appliances now.

I've had loads of trouble trying to find a Gas Safe registered chimney sweep that can remove my fire to sweep the flue. I finally found one, that is charging me £95 for the privilege...:readit: :wooha:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
RESULT!! Guy from Boiler Call just left. Existing boiler repaired, plus leaks in hot water tank also fixed. Total cost for parts & labour, a little over £107.

I GET TO KEEP MY AMIGAS!!

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
:arms:arms:arms BOILER REPAIRS FTW!!! :arms:arms:arms

Top Bottom