Why does the HDD light stay lit on my A1200?

tiffers

AmiBayer
Country
Perth, Australia
Hi AmiOracles,

I recently got an A1200 with a 44->40pin cable hanging off the ide port and out the side of the case. To it, a 3.5" hdd and a cdrom drive were connected. I'm cleaning it up by putting a 40GB 2.5" drive internally and a slim dvd combo drive.

From the day I got it, the HDD light is always on. I've tried every sort of setup (no cable, 3cm cable with a 2.5" drive, IDE buffer etc) and the light is always on... always. It does dim when the hard disk or dvd combo drive are accessed. It's almost like it's inverse of how it should. Heavy use results in dimmed LED, no use in fully lit LED.

I have a multimeter and a soldering iron :-D Can you help me fix this so I can have it work the way it should? (Ie LED lights when the IDE interface has traffic)

Thanks,

tiffers.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Common behaviour with some CD ROM units. Don't be annoyed by this.

tiffers

AmiBayer
Country
Perth, Australia
Common behaviour with some CD ROM units. Don't be annoyed by this.

Well, if this was the ONLY case, I would be happy to let it be. However, the light stays on with NO HDD, with a single ended cable and a 2.5"HDD, with a 2 device cable and no buffer, or with a buffer.

Admittedly it is a 40GB hdd, not one of the original HDDs shipped by C=. Is it likely that there's something wrong, considering the LED is lit even without anything connected to the IDE port?

tiffers

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Has the LED circuitboard been attacked with a soldering iron during it's lifetime? If it has then maybe a stray solder blob is causing a short.

Is the power LED lit at the same time?

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
it can happen if you only have a HDD connected... some models just don't cooperate nice with the amiga and the access light is always on

Mad_Cat_jr

World Wide Suicide
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Rotterdam
I have it with some CF cards in CF2IDE adapters, el cheapo CF are BAD (n).
If i take a quality card i don't have the problem not anymore with same adapter.

tiffers

AmiBayer
Country
Perth, Australia
Has the LED circuitboard been attacked with a soldering iron during it's lifetime? If it has then maybe a stray solder blob is causing a short.

Is the power LED lit at the same time?

I'll have to check the circuit board. Yes, the power LED is lit. It doesn't flicker though. Haven't tried turning the audio filter on/off (does this still dim the power LED on the A1200 as it did on my old school A500 with red power LED?)

---------- Post added at 00:38 ---------- Previous post was at 00:37 ----------

it can happen if you only have a HDD connected... some models just don't cooperate nice with the amiga and the access light is always on

Yes, but surely it should NOT be on when there is NOTHING connected? This isn't a feature of the PCMCIA reset bug/fix is it?

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
I'll have to check the circuit board. Yes, the power LED is lit. It doesn't flicker though. Haven't tried turning the audio filter on/off (does this still dim the power LED on the A1200 as it did on my old school A500 with red power LED?)

AFAIR the audio filter trick works on all Miggys.

Dave G :cool:

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Have you installed IDEFix when you had the buffered interface installed?
I vaguely remember something similar when I did the CU Amiga "mini tower side car" project and Im pretty sure I had to install IDEFix for it all to work correctly.

I may be wrong but could be worth a try if nothing else has worked :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
If the LED is permanently lit with no hardware attached, then something is very wrong.

Start from the LED board (check for jumpered adjacent tracks / solder pads). If no avail, chances are the problem is the driver transistor on the motherboard.

It is located among the Lisa chip and the IDE header. It is short-circuited, so only a replacement will cure the problem.

Top Bottom