Why hasn't a company remade a run of 1200s?

mbob

Country
US
Region
Virginia
I'm surprised there isn't a company out there that does a run of brand spanking new 1200s or 4000s. There seems to be quite the demand out there. I guess the custom chips really inhibit it. Wasn't there a C64 remake? What other classics have been remade?

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
The custom chips seem to be listed on Asian component lists so that shouldn't be a problem.

I expect it's more to do with the fact that the market and technology has now evolved and it's only the likes of the retro community that would appreciate a re-run of the classics. How much would a company charge for a system and how much computing power would a user get for their money?. It's all about supply and demand I guess. There are also the patents and copyrights of the various owners to consider as well. Tooling up to do a few hundred systems probably would not be cost effective in today's economies. I wonder if the world would be any different if the Amiga took prime position over the PC industry way back then.

The C64 was basically a Linux powered PC in a C64 box I believe. Not many of the retro community appreciated them afaik.

Last edited:

sir_beaker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Alresford
Yeah, there's enough 1200s still around at a good price so there probably isn't a market. 4000s are notoriously unstable from my understanding so it's only the hardcore enthusiast with plenty of money for accessories who'd want one.

keitha

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
Yeah, there's enough 1200s still around at a good price so there probably isn't a market. 4000s are notoriously unstable from my understanding so it's only the hardcore enthusiast with plenty of money for accessories who'd want one.

I'm slightly surprised someone hasn't had a bash at doing GB1000 type project, A4000 MB, (using the 1200 as a donor board).

- - - Updated - - -

The C64 was basically a Linux powered PC in a C64 box I believe. Not many of the retro community appreciated them afaik.

Wonder what happened the moulds, and the remaining C64 cases; when that guy passed away! I reckon Commodore-USA was a small time operation, so the licensing fees couldn't have been that expensive. The less charitable might assume the whole thing was just a bit of a tax rebate thing.

Last edited:

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
its time a remade a500 came about , to most people this is the Amiga.

FPGA may make this possible in a year or three.

A clone of the A500 was made and is or was in debugging last time i heard about it.

The Amiga market is tiny , more money in an Apple II or TRS or C64 or speccy even.

Last edited:

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
Electronically you don't need all the custom chips. An FPGA can reproduce almost the entire circuit. The case and keyboard would be all that's needed.

Bryce.

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
if someone made one cheaply and got QVC involved or someone similar then the Amiga could be a big hit I'm sure.

£100 amiga to plug in to a TV for Xmas? big seller

I find it hard to believe that the Amiga OS is dead and buried.

But then again , legal issues, copyright and licensing...it will never happen.

The best we can hope for is a no name clone that sort of works in small runs for lots of money. Shame.

CrazyC

Damn these amiga bills keep adding up
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Kent
Electronically you don't need all the custom chips. An FPGA can reproduce almost the entire circuit. The case and keyboard would be all that's needed.

Bryce.
But then why bother with it at all rather than run an emulator. When is it no longer an Amiga....

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
- - - Updated - - -

Wonder what happened the moulds, and the remaining C64 cases; when that guy passed away! I reckon Commodore-USA was a small time operation, so the licensing fees couldn't have been that expensive. The less charitable might assume the whole thing was just a bit of a tax rebate thing.

The molds were apparently rescued from being scrapped and somebody is offering new coloured cases using the molds via kickstarter. Google "C64 case molds"

I think there was a thread on here about the story.

acherion

Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
- - - Updated - - -
The molds were apparently rescued from being scrapped and somebody is offering new coloured cases using the molds via kickstarter. Google "C64 case molds"

Only the C64C molds were found. Who knows if the breadbin molds exist anymore...

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
A brand new A1200 or even A4000 would be seriously expensive due to the low volume. Putting a Minimig in a A1200 cabinet would be cheaper, but not really the same.. But there is already something like it - the GBA1000. Someone just needs to make new A1000 cabinets and keyboards. :)

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen

Bryce.
But then why bother with it at all rather than run an emulator. When is it no longer an Amiga....

Well the thing I don't like about modern solutions like the Minimig, MiST, etc is that they only emulate the software, not the hardware. If these included all the ports, keyboard connection expansion slots etc, then I could use it as a "real" Amiga and it would have many advantages over a simple emulator, but the designers don't tend to do this.

Bryce.

edd_jedi

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
There are already thousands of NOS A1200 Magic Packs sitting in an Indian warehouse somewhere, somebody just needs to buy them all!

- - - Updated - - -

The answer to this question is always regarding legal and copyright issues. Everybody loves emulators, so why have Nintendo or Sega not made good quality handhelds like the JXD? Because all of the ROMs required to play them are copyrighted and it's not economically viable to license them. That's why the Wii Virtual Console never really took off, who is going to pay £5 for a SNES game when you can download it online for free? so unfortunately until software moves to a more modern subscription based system like music has, emulators will remain in the homebrew and Chinese knock-off realm.

keitha

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
- - - Updated - - -

Commodore-USA (PC in the bread bin case). Not the original company.

- - - Updated - - -

There are already thousands of NOS A1200 Magic Packs sitting in an Indian warehouse somewhere, somebody just needs to buy them all!.

I thought they were all gone?

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
- - - Updated - - -

Only the C64C molds were found. Who knows if the breadbin molds exist anymore...

C64C, C128 (low profile) and Plus/4 molds...

Last edited:
Top Bottom