Why hasn't this been done!

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
Ok, as a complete and utter noob, I am surprised why this hasn't been done by someone.
THE biggest frustration I have in "going through" Amigas is that 90% of files that are needed are compressed in Lha, Iza, DMS, SOL and what not. Now, I always find disks or hard drives full of these compressed files, but somehow, there ALWAYS is no fricken way to open them. So.. its off and up to aminet to find something that will hopefully work. Waisting hours and I do mean hours, trying to find something that will work. Right from the get go, that does not need another program for the first program to work.

Why can't SOMEONE put together a floppy disk for noobs that has WORKING RIGHT NOW programs to decompress these file. I know I would PAY big money for that, with a nice simple GUI and not some cryptic command line mumbojumbo that you have to print of 26 pages to bring to your amiga and hope the heck it works.

GOD, If I had the expertise, this would be incorporated right into the OS.
I have to do this EVERY time I get a new machine because the 50 or so floppies that have all these crappy programs that AMINET says work, don't

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
OS 3.9 comes with the extractors as standard on the toolbar, just drag your compressed file to it and away it goes, i believe classic workbench has this as well? (someone confirm this?)

i do agree that it is a PITA when you 1st get a lha file and don't have a clue what software to use or what GUI for that matter.

cheers, JuvUK

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
I use classicWb and have never had to install anything on top. Everything just works and there seems to be a program for every type of file that i can find.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I think the best way to use Amiga os is prepare it in winuae with dms, lha, unzip, tsgui. Just put the command line tools in the c drawer

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Why not simply do it yourself?

You only need a bootable floppy disk with the programs on it. A simple text menu telling you what commands are available is all you require.

It's also good practice to help lose your self-imposed n00b status ;)

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
I think the best way to use Amiga os is prepare it in winuae with dms, lha, unzip, tsgui. Just put the command line tools in the c drawer

Obviously, as a noob, we have no clue on Winaue, and classic workbench (which again requires winaue) I am talking real installs with factory disks here people.
I am sorry if that sounded a bit hash, but I don't know which is more frustrating, the compressed files or trying to find something that works on AMINET. I have been at it for the last 6 yes 6 hours and still have not found something that even half works. I downloaded it, transfer to compact flash, then off to the A1200, try to make a floppy then bring it to the A3000T, it is very time consuming and I feel like I am beating a dead horse.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
ClassicWB is for real miggies m8, seriously check it out it's a great bit of software.

also i am still a no0b even after 18/19 years of breaking these things, i'm still proud to be a no0b, afterall "everyday is a school day"(y)

Obviously, as a noob, we have no clue on Winaue, and classic workbench (which again requires winaue) I am talking real installs with factory disks here people.
I am sorry if that sounded a bit hash, but I don't know which is more frustrating, the compressed files or trying to find something that works on AMINET. I have been at it for the last 6 yes 6 hours and still have not found something that even half works. I downloaded it, transfer to compact flash, then off to the A1200, try to make a floppy then bring it to the A3000T, it is very time consuming and I feel like I am beating a dead horse.

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,

You only need a bootable floppy disk with the programs on it. A simple text menu telling you what commands are available is all you require.

Obviously, that is what I am trying to do:banghead::Doh:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

or even better for community spirit, why not make one for him? create it, make it an .ADF and email it to him?

just a thought :)

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake

or even better for community spirit, why not make one for him? create it, make it an .ADF and email it to him?

Loan me your Amiga then.....Part of mine's in Norfolk being worked on

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,

that would be great, and then you could put the file here on Amibay for other noobs, because I know I am not the only one with this problem. Please and thank you.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

lol fair shout, is your miggy part with my miggy parts in Norfolk by any chance?

you could create it in winuae?

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake

lol fair shout, is your miggy part with my miggy parts in Norfolk by any chance?

you could create it in winuae?

WinUAE? Give over! Pile o' crap when compared to the real deal.....I use real Miggy's not pseudo's sitting on Winblows. :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
From Aminet the right tools are:

Unzip (guess for what?)

Lha.run

DMS.lha

TSGUI (the frontend for ADF and DMS).

If you have a 020 or better CPU, also download GZIP & 7zip, if you feel brave.

Top Bottom