Why?

Sektor

Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
I'd only recommend the older card if you want to keep your system authentic with hardware that was actually available in the 90s. Blizzard cards may have more nostalgic/collector value because they are no longer made.

Last edited:

ptyerman

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Nottinghamshire
Also the Blizzard cards just work. The new ACA cards require that your A1200 has had the timing fixes done before they will work properly most of the time.

snoopy77

Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
The blizzards are somewhat bullet proof and have good collector appeal. The Aca's have good performance but it is very hit and miss as to whether it will work.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I tried ACA12xx with multiple boards, only one board out of maybe 6 or 7 had issues so I think it's more likely it'll be fine. I agree blizzards are excellent but the prices are starting to get to a level where I'd recommend the ACA

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
depends which blizzard you get,all are reliable but early models had less max memory limits.

aca's are good cards but cant be upgraded memory wise,although who would want more than 64-128mb anyway.

as for the timing problem,its not really an issue...itll either work or not and when it dont plenty of people can do the timing fix....also make sure the 1200 has had a cap change in the last decade.that will most likely effect timing if there bad.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Just to add the Blizzard you want (if you go for one) is the MkIV.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I would personally get a Blizzard 1230 MK-IV 50MHz card. In my view the best accelerator for the A1200 ever made. Unless you need a very fast Amiga for 3D rendering or other productivity an 030 is all you need and the Blizzard is perfect.

As some others mentioned I've known loads of people with issues using ACA cards. They seem to need just the right setup or they just refuse to work properly. It's most likely because they are using much newer ram and other manufacturing techniques, whereas the Blizzard cards do just seem to work in everything and are bullet proof.

One final thing I expect some will not agree with me on is Individual Computers history of after sales support. Just because you are buying a newly made piece of hardware don't exact to get any kind of customer support.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Nobody going to mention the Blizzard's SCSI capabilities?

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
Nobody going to mention the Blizzard's SCSI capabilities?

nah,sure you can have more memory and scsi as an addon,but who has scsi now.
apart from people like me,lol

snoopy77

Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
Why?

Sorry, it only slows it down if you want to use ram on SCSI card, you have to set ramspeed off which slows down the ram on both cards.

Last edited:

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
Sorry, it only slows it down if you want to use ram on SCSI card, you have to set ramspeed off which slows down the ram on both cards.

sure,but it isnt much it slows down to 70ns from 60ns

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Jens is quite a reasonable person if you contact him or you can get sales support from your reseller. Problem is a lot of people go to public forums screaming and shouting and don't follow normal after sales process.

Also, the OP is asking about a MkII blizzard, that's a totally different animal to the MkIV

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
Jens is quite a reasonable person if you contact him

not when i did, i asked for help with diagrams to repair my 1260, he said "I hope it dies, remove cpu and bin",, yes he was very helpful

Top Bottom