Country
Malta
Just wondering if the Commodore Amiga Tank mouse can work in a C64 or not

diskers

Country
Poland
Region
Maz
Generally no if there no subroutine on the software that implement it. If you want to use an Amiga mouse on C64 /128 GEOS then you can't. On the 1530 and 1531 there's a specific chip that is converting signal from the mouse (working as a normal roller ball mouse) to a signal that a C64 / 128 can accept on the 9 pins port. However as I said before a signal is a signal even from an Amiga tank mouse and if you put a subroutine on the software it can work. :)

Last edited:

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
Interesting. I'll to a little searching on this, maybe find a modified version of Geos that can work with an Amiga mouse.

Generally no if there no subroutine on the software that implement it. If you want to use an Amiga mouse on C64 /128 GEOS then you can't. On the 1530 and 1531 there's a specific chip that is converting signal from the mouse (working as an normal roller ball mouse) to a signal that a C64 / 128 can accept on the 9 pins port. However as I said before a signal is a signal even from an Amiga tank mouse and if you put a subroutine on the software it can work. :)

diskers

Country
Poland
Region
Maz
First someone have to disassemble the code of GEOS or its part then insert a subroutine then assemble all this again and check if it works fine. I didn't get too deep in the schematics of the 1531 mouse and its chip but a software implementation can have its side effects - slowing down the C64 while demanding some horse power from the 6510 C64 CPU etc... I don't think that someone done that especially when there are some converters available for PS/2 mouses to get connected to a C64 9 pins port.

Interesting. I'll to a little searching on this, maybe find a modified version of Geos that can work with an Amiga mouse.

Generally no if there no subroutine on the software that implement it. If you want to use an Amiga mouse on C64 /128 GEOS then you can't. On the 1530 and 1531 there's a specific chip that is converting signal from the mouse (working as an normal roller ball mouse) to a signal that a C64 / 128 can accept on the 9 pins port. However as I said before a signal is a signal even from an Amiga tank mouse and if you put a subroutine on the software it can work. :)

Last edited:

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I once used a C64 sprite editor (don't remember its name though) which could use an Amiga mouse directly. I hooked up my Amiga-converted Logitech optical mouse, and it worked great. :)

Last edited:

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Guys, if you google Commodore 1531 or Commodore 1530, you'll find out that it's going to be pretty hard to use them as mouse. ;) :LOL:

1351 on the other hand....

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
Perhaps some program would allow you to record mouse movements onto a 1531 and then play them back another time? :)

diskers

Country
Poland
Region
Maz
OH 1531 or 1351. Who cares....;) :D... protek remember you can connect everything to everything if you have enough founds and fantasy... However in extreme cases you can create an multiverse black hole :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom