Will there ever been Game Machine like Atari ST and Amiga One day?

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
I think it could happen on Kickstarter one day if there is enough backing for it....

DojoDan

Blogger
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
Check this bad boy out. http://www.retrovgs.com

From their FAQ:

Why does the RETRO VGS look like an Atari Jaguar?
In a move that saved us nearly $500,000 in start-up costs we acquired the original tooling Atari used to manufacture their Atari Jaguar video game system in the 1990's. Our purchase included the tooling for both the console and cartridge shells.

On topic, I also think Sega are nicely positioned to release a new system and once again take on Nintendo. I don't detect much excitement from what I've read about Nintys upcoming machine, especially after the Wii U. Where as I'd be first in line for a new Sega machine :)

Last edited:

User4703

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
UK
Region
Newcastle
I took your topic to mean will there ever be a games machine that feels/felt like the Amiga/ST did back in the days and for me the answer is no.

We were a generation raised on playing outside with our pals, skinned knees and dubious activities and all... Sure people had 2600s, C64s and what not but they still weren't enough to drag you away from the old explore outdoors. Then, just as the teenage years were about to enter their stride along came the Amiga and all that it could do (and the fact that not everyone could afford one, so when one was bought all came around) and this lead to the current shut in, pasty faced weakling generation that rarely intake fresh oxygen.

We were analog kids living in a nascent digital world and the Amiga was the pedlar that reeled us in with its allure. Whereas now technology is ubiquitous and very common place the only thing that could do similar or approximate would be the next next generation that does total immersion where you are fully in place - this of course won't happen as the industry will drip feed the immersion piece by piece instead of just totally changing the game as from 8 to 16bit but if some company did come along and do just that, then yes - once again you'd have an "amiga experience".

In related news I would immediately pledge if someone were to release a true ground up engineered compatible portable version of the Amiga with say around a 5 inch screen and proper keyboard like this:

keyboard_phone.jpg

keyboard_phone2.jpg

keyboard_phone3.jpg

keyboard_phone4.jpg

:cool:

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
How about building a new own computer game machine like 7GHZ 64GB Ram with Tegra 5 and put £399 price for kickstarter :D

I am sure it blow anythings away :)

I bet it will sell Hotcake :LOL:

Last edited:

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
that link is a bit of a joke to be honest,not a nice one at that.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I very much doubt we will see anything as innovative and ahead of its time as the Amiga was again. Although if you could predict future hardware innovation you would be a very rich man!

The computer/console industry of the 80's was an evolving entity, still very much in its infancy, with manufacturing abilities holding back what was possible. With each new generation the systems released were a huge jump in processing power, graphical ability, data storage size, data access rate, and audio ability. We have now reached a point where the hardware on any current platform is capable of achieving anything a developer/designer wants to do. It's all down to the creative and coding minds to create something original.

The innovations these days are only held back by cost of production. It's just going to be more of what we already have. Higher resolution screens. More powerful GPUs. We don't really need larger HDDs these days for home use so that innovation of ever expanding storage space isn't needed.

The only real innovations now are in TV and Audio, for which computers and consoles will need to keep up with. 4K TV and 32 channel Dolby Atmos are already with us as the next standard, but are both still fairly high end of good quality. They will most likely be the standard, overtaking 1080P and 5.1 within the next 3-5 years, and then the next generation of consoles will need to arrive to handle the increased resolution.

And then we will have to start preparing for 8K TV, and the increased development of immersive VR or multiple screens for gaming. Oculus is looking even more interesting as it continues to be developed, but most people don't want to be wearing huge headsets all day. I personally think we won't get the true home immersion experience until proper 3D colour holographic projection has been perfected. That, or full room immersion similar to a projected holodeck.

disco

Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
In related news I would immediately pledge if someone were to release a true ground up engineered compatible portable version of the Amiga with say around a 5 inch screen and proper keyboard

I don't know about 5 inch screen, that could be too small. I'd prefer laptop sized Amiga 1200. If anyone can do it, it's Ben Heck. His portable C64:

Top Bottom