Windows 10 - will you be upgrading?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
With the announcement that Windows 10 is officially being released on 29th July, with a notification icon appearing in the tray of existing win 7 and 8 users today to preorder your free upgrade, will you be upgrading on launch day?

I was about to reinstall Windows 7 next week, but am now considering waiting for Win 10. I do however need to check all software I used will be compatible.

One question I have. I own a copy of win 8, but never bothered installing it as a main os as I much prefer 7. However will it be possible to preorder 10 using my win 8 s/n, rather than needing to go via a notification icon?

RichyV

A4000 lives once more! A1200 bits are going...
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Gloucestershire
Hi Harrison,

I believe all free upgrades to Win10 are to be done 'in-situ', You will need a working and installed instance of either 7 or 8 to be offered the free upgrade (a offer that will last for 12 months).

If you have more than one pc running a licensed and activated version, then you will be offered an upgrade for each which you can take up, turn down, or decide to download but not install until later (probably what I will do - gives me a change to see what 'issues' people have come up against...).

I don't think just having a licensed version of Windows sitting on your shelf will mean that an upgrade is offered - it will need to be installed & activated, so Notification icon is the way it will need to be (AFAIK at this point).

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I hope that isn't true because the worst way to install an OS is to upgrade an existing older version, because it means a lot of old dead files and clutter on the system, plus an existing registry which is not clean and optimal. And what happens if at a later date you buy a new HDD? I'm not installing Windows 7 before Windows 10. I want a full download of a Windows 10 installer that is portable, so I can install it as a clean OS install on a new HDD.

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I got the popup yesterday and will probably be upgrading to Win10 eventually. However, it will not happen on launch day. I find it is always a good choice to wait a little while after release before jumping on a new OS. There are always some issues that needs to be ironed out and I prefer to let other people be 'release testers'. Windows XP was not good until SP1, and Vista was horrible before SP1. The latest reports I read regarding Win10 states that there are still many issues remaining so the question is how any of those will be fixed in the release.

So in essence, you should all upgrade immediately, and then I will wait 3 months for the dust to settle. :)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Here is an interesting article about Windows 10.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8696949/windows-10-feature-loss

It seems we will be losing some core features of the OS we have been used to for a very long time. Windows Media Player and Centre will be going. And the OS will force upgrades on its users the moment they are released. No more ability to set it to not upgrade automatically, or to just notify you of new upgrades and let you pick the ones you want. I'm not happy about that and it may make me decide to upgrade to the Pro edition instead to prevent this.

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
And what happens if at a later date you buy a new HDD?
Backup the whole partition and copy it to the new drive using EASEUS Todo Backup Free for example, you can freely adjust the size afterwards ofcourse.

Arnie

Country
UK
Region
Leicester
I'm using Win7 ultimate. Will I get the equivalent version of Win 10?

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
What's with MS though? Flight Sim' has been sold off, Windows 10 will be free but lose components and appears to gain a lot of social media, cloud based stuff. Is it just a further push into the 'subscription' and 'App' based world, A-la revenue generators? and what will it retain to offer the business application world where you just need to get stuff done?

Seems a bit of a strange strategy.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Well I have to admit it, i've never paid for any version of Windows so the chances of me upgrading it are slim until it's been hacked. It's strange considering I own the originals for Workbench 3.0, 3.1, 3.5, 3.9, Opus 4 and 5.5 and these are all easily obtainable for nothing with no protection on them at all. Microsoft make too much money to justify paying for their products. Sure they employ millions of people and have huge overheads but how can that all be paid for and yet they still make billions and billions in profit? To end up with 3 individuals having mad personal fortunes in double digit billions is just ridiculous, they could half the prices of everything and still make multi billion profits each quarter, so I won't support such greed.

On Win 10, is there any big reason to upgrade it? it took me years to move to Win 7 from XP.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Gaming support i definitely one reason I will be upgrading, and probably upgrade my GPU at the same time. However I will only be upgrading if all Adobe software in the CC suite is compatible and supported in 10. I expect Adobe will eventually force their user-base to upgrade, as they did to Windows 7 because they started to make some software require it and not fully work in XP.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
If you want to make sure you get the offer, install Windows update KB3035583. This update was recommended for Windows 8 users and was optional for Windows 7 users.

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
That is a Core i7 CPU though Shoonay. I'd expect anything to run well on one of those. :)
This isn't about running well. Check the cores usage. Every system with a multi core (more than 2 ;)) CPU will benefit from this.

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
I won't be upgrading my professional HP laptop nor my home Toshiba laptop, which are fine with 7, but i will certainly upgrade my living room NUC to Windows 10.
Besides, the Microsoft upgrade tool is already complaining about the Bluetooth from my Toshiba laptop and some softwares as well.
Free upgrade is cool, but i'm not interested in troubles.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
I plan to upgrade, but I will be looking for a way to do a clean install if I can .... as Harrison previously stated, an "in place upgrade" is the worse way to install.
However, I'm hoping it'll work like the Windows 7 to Windows 8 / 8.1 upgrade did, giving you the option of whether you want to keep your programs, data or none.
Choosing "do not keep any files" resulted in your old Windows install being moved to a "Windows.old" folder and you ending up with a clean Windows install.

RichyV

A4000 lives once more! A1200 bits are going...
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Gloucestershire
I plan to upgrade, but I will be looking for a way to do a clean install if I can .... as Harrison previously stated, an "in place upgrade" is the worse way to install.
However, I'm hoping it'll work like the Windows 7 to Windows 8 / 8.1 upgrade did, giving you the option of whether you want to keep your programs, data or none.
Choosing "do not keep any files" resulted in your old Windows install being moved to a "Windows.old" folder and you ending up with a clean Windows install.

Yes, I'm expecting something along those lines... Just depends if you're happy installing everything again, or take your chances with a'converted' install.

Top Bottom