Windows 3.1 computer problem.

nicolaj132

ThatRetroGuy
Country
denmark
Region
South jytland/roedekro
I dont know what happend inside of it, when ever i try to start it up, the cpu light flashes and noting happens.
by the way, i live in denmark, south.

Last edited:

nicolaj132

ThatRetroGuy
Country
denmark
Region
South jytland/roedekro
Like i said..i dont really know what happend, it just stopt running so im a bit lost, maybe capacitors need replacement?

zinamo

Country
Italy
Region
Aosta Valley
Hello, do you have anything on the screen? does the keyboard responds? I mean if you push Caps-lock, the led responds? Just a question, what kind of machine is that? I mean 386, 486..? Any other info about the hardware? When was the last time the machine worked properly? Don't be scared, PCs usually are easy to fix and cap replacement is hardly needed :)

Last edited:

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
could be a lot of things, failed psu (which likely means a lot of other things have fried), typically there'll be beeps from the speaker when other things fail, like RAM, or CPU...

i'd guess psu first off tho...

nicolaj132

ThatRetroGuy
Country
denmark
Region
South jytland/roedekro
Umm, i just have the computer itself placed up and noting else. you could somtimes see the turbo lamp blink and thats it, no start up or anything.

Last edited:

zinamo

Country
Italy
Region
Aosta Valley
yes, most likely the PSU or the mobo itself.. to be sure, you should check each component separately to isolate the failing one..

motrucker

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Annapolis, Maryland
This is a really hard one, with so little information. If I had to guess with little info, I would guess the PSU has died too. Does the mouse light up? (or is to old a model). Can you access the early startup routines? usually accessed by pressing the DEL key as you power it up. (on some computers this can be the F5 key - do you have the manual, by any chance?)
Do you have many cards in the computer? You may want to remove all of the cards (Very carefully!) and then try to boot it again. If it boots then, replace the cards, one at a time, and check to see if it boots after every card is replaced.
That's about all I can think of to suggest to you. Good luck.

nicolaj132

ThatRetroGuy
Country
denmark
Region
South jytland/roedekro
the psu sems ok, the light flashes in the turbo but no start up.
no hard drive noise and no light flashing on the lamps that shows activity.

Last edited:

motrucker

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Annapolis, Maryland
Then try the second part of my post. see what happens.

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
if the PSU was ok, you should hear the fan (assuming it isn't ancient and has one ) spinning/blowing.

the drives would also at the very least spin up if the psu was alright.

the turbo light flickering may indicate that some power is going thru, but doesn't necessarily mean its ok.

opening it up and seeing if the CPU fan is spinning when you turn it on would be a good start...if it isn't, and the drives don't spin up....it's a good bet its fried.

(altough, if its a reallly old win3.1 system, it may not even have a cpu fan, early 386s and 286s didnt (necessarily) require one)

you can also try turning it on with just a drive attached and see if it does anything.

Last edited:

motrucker

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Annapolis, Maryland
That was my idea, to take out all of the cards, and see what happens. But, I am still not convinced the PSU is OK. In a machine that old, that is a point for trouble.

Top Bottom