Windows COA Tracking ID

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi all, just wondering if anyone could help.

A friend of mine has just bought a brand new Dual Core Samsung laptop off the web.
Its come with windows 7 Professional pre-installed and we have the recovery media and Driver disks.

However the Windows COA on the bottom of the laptop instead of having a 25 digit product key has a 14 digit Tracking ID.

Now i know with the recovery media the key should never be needed but just wondered if anyone knew anything about these Tracking ID's

Thanks

Mike

**EDIT**

Having it in my hands now it says its for academic purposes only?

Looks Like This (Click Pic for Higher Res)

Last edited:

TheoryBoy

AmiBayer
Country
Ireland
Region
Cork
Does it look like this

win7_oem_06.jpg

It should have the product key along the bottom, if not it looks like the retailer has split the sticker, and installed a funny windows 7.

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
According to my research, it appears that the 14 digit ID corresponds to a particular set of restore CD/DVD's which the code unlocks. Once unlocked and access granted, the OEM key is produced allowing the end user to proceed to re-install the factory default software.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Well today the Pre-Installed windows 7 decided it was not activated and told me it needed to be activated immediately.

It then told me "the product key entered was not valid for activation"

After numerous calls to both Microsoft and Samsung to try and get this OEM copy activated they both told me that i need to return the laptop to the supplier as the COA is meant for academic laptops only available through the Home Access Government Scheme and should not have been sold as a general laptop.

Looks like it's being returned!

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but I've recently just had a friend of mine give me a Samsung laptop telling me 'it don't boot' etc. etc.
Turns out the hard drive had knackered.
There's no recovery media and becuase of needing a new hard drive, no recovery system (press F4 in bios for recovery etc.)
So, I installed Win 7 Pro as per what was on it before (and what is stated on the COA) and it's only then I noticed that the COA doesn't have a proper product key.
So now, my friend has a machine that cannot legitimately be activated!
I also have to admit, the COA that is on the bottom looks a bit dodgy to say the least!

FOL

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Wales
Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but I've recently just had a friend of mine give me a Samsung laptop telling me 'it don't boot' etc. etc.
Turns out the hard drive had knackered.
There's no recovery media and becuase of needing a new hard drive, no recovery system (press F4 in bios for recovery etc.)
So, I installed Win 7 Pro as per what was on it before (and what is stated on the COA) and it's only then I noticed that the COA doesn't have a proper product key.
So now, my friend has a machine that cannot legitimately be activated!
I also have to admit, the COA that is on the bottom looks a bit dodgy to say the least!

Join the club, mine was brand new from the shop and never let me actviate it, had to restore back to vista.
M$ and Acer didnt want to know. Mine is completely legit, stupid really. Acer even sent me the disk on Win7 release.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
The problem is, I'm going to have to resort to an activation crack (such as Windows Loader) as trying to use an SLP master key with the correct SLIC certificate didn't work either.
The user in question does not want to downgrade to XP or Vista .... and they require Windows as their operating system for what they do, so Linux is out of the question.

I'm just glad it isn't my laptop, as I'd be mightly miffed at this and would be really kicking up a stink!

FOL

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Wales
The problem is, I'm going to have to resort to an activation crack (such as Windows Loader) as trying to use an SLP master key with the correct SLIC certificate didn't work either.
The user in question does not want to downgrade to XP or Vista .... and they require Windows as their operating system for what they do, so Linux is out of the question.

I'm just glad it isn't my laptop, as I'd be mightly miffed at this and would be really kicking up a stink!

Just had a thought, mine didnt work cause I erased HDD and installed the Win7 they sent, bet they were expecting me to do an upgrade from vista.
Hence it wont activate, so what you said will be the only way to use it.

If its truely legit like mine, then I cant see them having an issue with it.
As its being used for the machine it was intended.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
It's not that so much that I have a problem with.
What is concerning is that if the end user (who is friend of a friend of a friend if I'm truly honest) ends up getting a 'not legit' message pop up, and then ends up persuing that by contacting Microsoft, it may come out that I reinstalled the OS and that it all comes back to bite me in the a**e some day .... either that, or I get asked to make 'make it legit', one way or another, I don't want the hassle. I'd prefer to get it right first time and have no worries about it then.

FOL

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Wales
It's not that so much that I have a problem with.
What is concerning is that if the end user (who is friend of a friend of a friend if I'm truly honest) ends up getting a 'not legit' message pop up, and then ends up persuing that by contacting Microsoft, it may come out that I reinstalled the OS and that it all comes back to bite me in the a**e some day .... either that, or I get asked to make 'make it legit', one way or another, I don't want the hassle. I'd prefer to get it right first time and have no worries about it then.

Luckily for me, I was clever and first thing I done was a complete acronis dump of all drives the day I bought mine. So I could eaisly go back.
I done the same with my daughters laptop. So no probs if I need recovery partition.

Try Samsungs support site, I bet you can buy a set of recovery disks, obviously at a price. Think Acer wanted £60 to £80 when I looked out of interest.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
How odd... I've only come across CALs in networking which refers to how many systems or users can connect to a server OS on a server. Presumably in this instance this is a single key to which each number of laptops share to use one copy of an OS lisenced under acedemic purposes.

I think these are usually lisenced to schools and universities. They shouldnt have been in a retail shop to begin with. I wonder if theres been a mix up with their supplier or something... In essence these laptops have be sold with no OS. Atleast not a legitimately lisenced one for private home use anyways.

Were they sold as coming with an OS out of curiosity?

FOL

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Wales
How odd... I've only come across CALs in networking which refers to how many systems or users can connect to a server OS on a server. Presumably in this instance this is a single key to which each number of laptops share to use one copy of an OS lisenced under acedemic purposes.

I think these are usually lisenced to schools and universities. They shouldnt have been in a retail shop to begin with. I wonder if theres been a mix up with their supplier or something... In essence these laptops have be sold with no OS. Atleast not a legitimately lisenced one for private home use anyways.

Were they sold as coming with an OS out of curiosity?

Mine came with Vista preinstalled, I acivated fine. The Win7 they sent me, was proberly ment for me to update.
I hate that idea, very messy, so me being me, formatted with disc they sent and installed. It would never activate, :(.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
@FOL - In your case then you may need to reinstall vista for it to work. Presumably you have a legit vista key? The Windows 7 upgrade (I've never done this path so cant say for certain) shouldnt need a key as it will tie itself to the vista legitimate install key and would have a sperate authentication method I'd imagine, but can only be installed onto a machine thats already running a previous windows version.

Last edited:

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
i believe the license keys in question are from a government scheme known as the Home Access Scheme which allowed parents with a child of a certain school age to claim a free laptop to the value of £500 which a credit voucher.
The one i had originally here was sold as a retail unit but was in fact one of the machines from that scheme and was actually returned and swapped for a different model.

@Woody, i'd check with the owner to see if it is from such a scheme as they also provide technical support on these machines as long as the child is still of school age as far as i'm aware.

Mike

Top Bottom