Windows Experience Points - Comedy Gold

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I have been playing around with a Windows 7 setup on my new 500Gb hard drive. One of the things that has amused me no end is the Windows Experience Score.

My original rig (Celeron D352 3.2Ghz, 2Gb DDR667, 200Gb IDE hard drive, 512Gb PCI-E Geforce LE 7300) gave a score of 2.0 :huh:. The motherboard is an Asrock 775Dual-VSTA which isn't exactly a powerhouse, although it does allow me to overclock the Celery to 4Ghz...;)

I swapped the hard drive for a 500Gb SATA drive and the LE 7300 was replaced with a 1Gb PCI-E ATI Radeon HD 5450.

(For an Nvidia fanboy like me, that was a major step, but £30 for a 1Gb graphics card can't be turned down).

I re-ran the Experience Score and got 4.1!! :wooha:

Something tells me that this here Windoze Experience Score isn't that l33t at all and is a steaming pile of you-know-what. It also appears that Uncle Bill's crowd have changed the scores between Vista and 7 so that you can't really compare scores between the two OSs since the ranges that the scores can go up to differ.

I'm going to stick with 3DMark and other recognised benchmarks that really test the hardware. I just wonder how many n00bs will fall for this Experience Score crap, especially once the likes of PC World start to quote them when trying to shift boxes?

@ Micro$haft: Epic Fail, with loads of Meh sprinkled on top....(n)

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwbuntu :)

Nah joking its a good little distro but pretty bloated. When you get some spare time have a look at two distros. One is called Mepis, the other is called Antix. see what you think. (both come on live cd's/dvd's)

Mepis:
http://www.mepis.org/ (kde4)

Antix:
http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page (lightweight, small download, stick any window manager you like on it, i prefer gnome)

Cheers

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
:p well, i still like windows 7 64bit, so there :p

And at the moment I'm enjoying it too.

Apparently the score is given as the lowest of the key elements it tests.

My highest component is 7.2 for the processor and 2.6 for the graphics :oops:

Time to shop for a new card (y)

Dave G :cool:

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
In fairness - the Windows Experience Score is not aimed at the good folks who actually know a bit about computers and OS's (and in general - that's us lot). Better off with PCMark and 3DMark for benchmarking.

John

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
I've played with Win7 64Bit & must also laugh @ Mircro$hafts :bs: idea of scoring. You might score say 5.9 on four tests with a 4.0 on the fifth test. Your average score then becomes 4. :huh: :blink:

I find it hard to believe that a company so big still can not do simple maths. :nuts:

Kin

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
If you would like performance increase, don't believe the score, but run it on a dual core cpu not a single core system

(y)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
the slight joke with Windows experience points is that M$ can change the range when they feel like it. In Vista for example the maximum you could ever score was 5.9 for any component, and my system was all at 5.9 except for my boot HDD which was bringing the core down to 5.6. And with Win7 M$ decided hardware had moved on a bit since Vista days and so raised the bar by increasing the maximum score to 7.9 (I think that is the max).

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
So the whole thing is totally rigged to force everyone to upgrade? :Doh:

:censored: bunch of :censored: :censored: !!!:mad:

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
my system is a solid 7.5 all the way across the board except for the Boot Hard drive, which is a 5.9. Remember that your experience score is listed by your lowest component, so you may have a 7.9 processer, 7.9 memory. 7.9 video ratings in the two different fields and then have a 4.1 in your hard drive rating and it will give you a overall rating of 4.1. Do not take the overall number too seriously. Look at the individual numbers and you'll be fine. I'm going to guess that your lowest rating is your video card for 3D gaming applications? Besides for most people a low 3d gaming performance number means jack squat.

easypreacher

Country
United Kingdom
Region
North Devon
So the whole thing is totally rigged to force everyone to upgrade? :Doh:

:censored: bunch of :censored: :censored: !!!:mad:

does your PC run to do what you want it to do?

Got a score of 3.0 on this Acer lappy i use, but it still manages to run Adobe After Effects CS3, Photoshop CS3, Firefox (listening to my mate's online radio show) and browse the web... At The Same Time......I have no problem with Windows7 :)

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I pity the n00bs who sped silly money to run Word and Outlook under Windows 7, just because the score was pants and a salesman at the box-shifter store wanted to make a killing.... you know it's going to happen.

@ JuvUK; my system is fine for what I need it for, thanks. I don't need World of Warcraft at 16 bazillion frames per second; you can only make a turn so shiny......

/runs before Zetr0 opens fire......

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
I pity the n00bs who sped silly money to run Word and Outlook under Windows 7, just because the score was pants and a salesman at the box-shifter store wanted to make a killing.... you know it's going to happen.

@ JuvUK; my system is fine for what I need it for, thanks. I don't need World of Warcraft at 16 bazillion frames per second; you can only make a turn so shiny......

/runs before Zetr0 opens fire......

that was my point, it doesn't matter what the score says, if your pc is running ok then you don't need to upgrade, and if a number is what makes you want to upgrade, then more fool you

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
I pity the n00bs who sped silly money to run Word and Outlook under Windows 7

Not to mention forks out the price for Word. Most people utilize about a fraction of what it can do. and there are free alternatives that do the fraction just as good. Now, if only people would start sharing documents in a real standard few would ever need Word at all.

I take classes at the univ to get more papers on what I already know - plus learn some more. I'm pretty annoyed by having to visit the computer labs to convert some lecturers documents from docx to pdf to be able to view them without word. (neither openoffice nor iworks converts it correctly, formulas written in mathtype are mixed up plus other oddities) But others on the other hand have everything in pdf and thats very nice.

Every assignment have been either written in google docs or in LaTeX. But OpenOffice could have been used too. OO have a nice formula editor that is even faster to use than LaTeX. And by submitting in PDF there have never been a compatibility problem. In fact, in most cases PDF was the only accepted way of delivering an assignment.

I hope before I am done that I can deliver something completely written on an Amiga and also delivered on it.

Top Bottom