Wireless networking/internet is so crap!

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Hi all,

I'm getting really :censored: off these days.
My wireless connection on my HP laptop keeps dropping ..... and when I say, keeps dropping, I mean like EVERY 20 :censored: SECONDS!
Anyway, I've restarted my router ...... same :censored:
I turned off the wireless interface on my router and plugged in a Wireless Access Point, still the same :censored:
I've tried changing the channel on the wireless access point .... same :censored:
I've re-installed drivers for the wireless adaptor in my laptop .... still the same :censored:

I'm getting increasingly frustraited with this :pissed:

I'm getting to the stage where I'm gonna take said wireless access point & router, track down the man who made it (it's a Belkin) and shove it where the sun don't shine :boxer:

Any ideas appreciated on how to solve wireless being so crap!

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Re: Wireless networking/internet is so crap!

yo!

what os are you running? have you updated it recently? have you only just started having this problem? has a pesky over protective windows update interfered? info man! we need info!, name, rank, number and blood type please (we may not actually need the last 4)

JuvUK

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

JuvUK said:
yo!

what os are you running? have you updated it recently? have you only just started having this problem? has a pesky over protective windows update interfered? info man! we need info!, name, rank, number and blood type please (we may not actually need the last 4)

JuvUK
Probably caused by Windows shit!

I'm running Windows 7 RC1 on it, and yes, the problem happened this morning for the first time in ages (but I had this problem once before with Vista Home Premium, about 3 months ago, just before a hard drive failure), however, no Windows updates were done between last night and this morning!

Bloody Windows and bloody Wi-fi .... pain in the :censored: ass

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

cool, to say that wireless in 7100 is slightly buggy is a bit of an understatement, i found it has got a lot better in 7263, you gotta remember windows 7 is still being tested the real RTM (there are fake RTMs out there) should be out early July. i would advise you update to a newer version bud (7100 is quite old now)
I also had the problem with Vista but it disappeared as soon as i went to sp1, sp2 seems to sort a few things out as well.

JuvUK

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

I'll give that a try!
[EDIT] :censored: due to the fact I was asking for pirated software ...... Y'aaaarrrggghhh!

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

eeerm, of course if you are a Microsoft tester/partner/beta you will you get the latest release from the official Microsoft support site.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Pirated? Anyone is free to download the Win7 RC and free to use them until June 2010, although they start closing ever 2 hours from next March.

Regarding wireless connections. Vista had a bug in the first release and SP1 that caused a lot of wireless connections to drop a lot. This was reported to be fixed in SP2. Same with XP before SP3. AFAIK this issue should be fixed in Win7 now too.

However I've always found wireless connections seem to drop a lot with certain routers and certain ISP connections. A very bad combination is AOL and Netgear routers. And that is even the router they support. I hardly ever get a wifi drop with my Linksys router and access point. The only time I do sometimes need to reboot it is after a power cut when it sometimes seems to get a bit confused. I also prefer running a separate router and wireless access point, rather than having an all in one combined wireless router. They just don't seem as reliable. Maybe it is heat issues due to the lot being in one box.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

My ISP is Be Unlimited
I was originally using the 'BeBox' which is a Thomson SpeedTouch TG585v7, but I disabled the wireless interface on it and started using my Belkin Wireless Access Point (model unsure) and was still initially having the problems, however, over the last couple of days, it's sorted itself out ..... I haven't done ANYTHING to it (not even Windows Updates) .... nothing has changed (and no, a reboot didn't solve it, as I rebooted several times the other day, when experiencing the problem)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

woodycool said:
My ISP is Be Unlimited
I was originally using the 'BeBox' which is a Thomson SpeedTouch TG585v7, but I disabled the wireless interface on it and started using my Belkin Wireless Access Point (model unsure) and was still initially having the problems, however, over the last couple of days, it's sorted itself out ..... I haven't done ANYTHING to it (not even Windows Updates) .... nothing has changed (and no, a reboot didn't solve it, as I rebooted several times the other day, when experiencing the problem)

well in that case......

meh!

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ woodycool

Not flaming you, so please don't get huffy, but.....

LMAO!! :ROTFLOL2: Crap ISP's & Wireless connections don't gel well together at all.

RE BE as an ISP, you really should consider another one m8y.

Thompson SpeedTouch. :jester: Too damned funny! :ROTFLOL2:

Kin

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

JuvUK said:
well in that case......

meh!
My thoughts exactly!
WTF? Why are modern machines so temperamental?
My Amigas just work - that's it, no probs, my C64 never plays up, my C16 works like it did the day it was new ....... even my Spectrum works perfectly :shock: (controversial comment coming) ........ which is unusual for a speccy, they never work well from new :run:

Kin Hell said:
LMAO!! :ROTFLOL2: Crap ISP's & Wireless connections don't gel well together at all.

You really should consider another ISP m8.
Why? What's wrong with Be?

They are the ONLY ISP that provide a truly unlimited package ...... no bandwidth throttling, no 'fair usage policies', no 'monthly download limits' etc.

Please name me another ISP that offers the same, and I may consider changing ISP.
On top of that, what does the ISP have to do with my internal wireless connectivity? I don't get it :?

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

Kin,
looking at that site, I don't see anything wrong with my ISP
I even did a comparison and my ISP came out on top!

If you have a reason for thinking my ISP is crap, please let me know.
I have to say, I'm not keen on my ISP, and I hate them, but they are the best ISP I've ever had.
In my honest opinion, all ISPs are crap! They just want to rip you off and take your money.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

What are your reasons for hating them yourself? Have you ever had connection issues or speed issues with them?

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

Harrison said:
What are your reasons for hating them yourself? Have you ever had connection issues or speed issues with them?
3 reasons!

1. On a semi-regular basis, they have DNS and/or routing problems, usually I cannot get on almost half the websites I visit, but some do work (depending on which of the DNS servers is down, I guess)

2. the supplied router (Tomson Speedtouch TG585v7) is a piecce of :censored: , just trying to add a basic firewall rule is enough to crash it ...... tbh, I had the same problem when I used to be with BT (and they supplied a BT Home Hub, aka Tomson Speedtouch 303) so maybe there's a clue in the manufacturer's of the router ...... I'm now on my third router with Be, which they just replace for free each time .... but this usually means I'm without broadband for up to 72 hours sometimes!

3. They're lying :censored: . Not long ago, I had a letter from a legal firm acting on behalf of a film company, threatening to 'press charges' against me for copyright theft .... accusing me of sharing the company's film on the internet (which was bull :censored: , as I'm not stupid enough to do this) .... they had supplied information that they thought was proof, such as my IP address (which I know was my IP as I'm on static IP) and times & dates etc. They claimed they got this info from Be.
I then proceeded to contact Be, who told me they NEVER give these details out without the end user's (i.e.: ME) permission.
I then asked said legal firm to provide me with evidence that they got this info from Be and not just used some clever software to gain my IP somehow, and they supplied a letter from Be (on Be Unlimited headed paper).
Upon producing this to Be, they still tried to deny this ....... not sure what to do.

The problem I have is .... I cannot find another ISP who provides me with the speed & unlimitedness of the connection. Every other so-called 'unlimited' ISP/package comes with a 'fair usage policy' which in my eyes is usually an 'unfair usage policy'

Any help or advice greatfully received.

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

Back yo your problem, HP had some issues with some of thier pavilion laptops DV6000 was one but there were others.
The first sign of the problem was wireless related, eventually the lappy would fail!- it even led them to doing a recall. If I remember it was the chipset overheating that was the root cause.
Do a google with your model number to see if it is relevant to you

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

imnogeek said:
Back yo your problem, HP had some issues with some of thier pavilion laptops DV6000 was one but there were others.
The first sign of the problem was wireless related, eventually the lappy would fail!- it even led them to doing a recall. If I remember it was the chipset overheating that was the root cause.
Do a google with your model number to see if it is relevant to you
OMFG :shock:
I've had this thing for 18 months now, and it does get rather hot sometimes ..... it's already had a new hard drive.
The model number is HP G7015EA.

[edit]
googled my model number, not found anything relating to it
I did find that HP list a product recall for HP laptop batteries, and a lot of models in the G7000 series are affected, but not mine, thankfully.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

wierd, i googled this HP G7015EA overheats, and got a lot of reading to do! apparently this model has very average cooling and is prone to clogging up with lint, hair etc, may be worth giving it a clean out with a can of air or something

cheers, JuvUK

Top Bottom