Workbench back to disk

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Hello,

Hope someone on here knows. I am playing with my own uae workbench 3.1 based with my own likings, ex daemontool instead of.. learning the hard work myself. Much fun once the basics are there :):)

Get it on a real machine: no problem.(y)

But I would like to know if this is possible with some "tool" to do the fiction below?

"take hd0: to FDO: -diskspan - format -compresslevel=high"

meaning putting it on multiple floppy's compressed highly once it is on a real amiga..

* I don't want to know how to transfer, I wan't to know how to put it from a real amiga on flop and deploy it on let's say an unexpanded A600, taken that my workbench does not load to much off shelf. (knowing about the screen format, memory etc...)

and vice a versa :whistle:

... So I have my own home brewn install even if it is an old unexpanded amiga? Put disk in with tool on, create partition and dump from the flops, reboot and voila?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Better backup the HD in a soulless peecee using WinUAE: faster.

Also when you are done but the HD back to the Amiga. New floppy disks are very unreliable.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
You would need to use an archiver to span a backup across multiple floppy disks. There were many existing back in the day for the Amiga so do a search on Aminet to see what you can find.

Normally for this process you would to make a single large compressed file containing the whole backup within it, then using splitting utilities, break it down into compression parts the size of a floppy disk.

This method is still commonly seen in use within the PC scene releases where you might have a multi part zip or rar named file.rar, file.001, file.002. It's the same principle, with each part the size of a floppy disk, CD, or new group message file size limits. Making it easier to distribute.

An alternative would be one of the HD backup programs that exist for the Amiga. I've not used one of those in years so can't think what any were called. Quarterback tools may of contained one.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Quarterback Tools is one of them, that's for sure.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Thanks a lot for answering.

Yes I know the flops are not super reliable, but hey, it's also the idea not needing to open up a case bla bla, probably only need 4 flops at a zip compression level.

I am a little afraid that the tools don't run from disks, not sure, will have a go, have quarterback on one machine. aminet was not my friend for a cli command yesterday.

The other route is I saw some linux porting to amiga, so I'll see if the DD TAR and ZIP or BZIP2 is ported yet. Then partition and all get's cloned to.. Then only need to find out how to split them.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
found one

found one

Ok, there is a tool ABACKUP on aminet. It does back up to floppy disk.

I copied the wb31 adf to another adf file, and removed a lot of directories on it, and just moved the main abackup file + icon to the floppy, yup still booting workbench with backup program :roll: So that makes it complete.

The only mistake I made I removed the printers dir to, and abackup may call on it, but don't care.

I will write the adf backups and see if restoring on an unexpanded amiga goes along :whistle:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
If you have problems with ABACKUP, Quarterback is also very good. ;)

Kin

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Thanks,

I realise, that it's not the good way, the compression level is to low. Just taking the hdf in winblows and put it in zip is much smaller.

Looking at aminet from time to time to find best solution.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
just another alternative :
you wanted to split up an archive.. there are some tools to do so
I've previously used hjsplitter, a simple google turned up this site : http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

if you make a compression first using LHA, then use split on the pc, copy to floppy, and join on the amiga (make sure the files are in the right order)

lot of slave work, but I guess this is the answer to your questions, though not as good a solution as perhaps some of the previous posts ;-)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ jvdbossc

If you don't have Quarterback, PM me. ;)

Kin

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
@Kin,

I have it installed on the A3000, is it in the t*s*c dvd to?

Thanks a lot

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Great & yes. ;)

Does it do a better job for you?

Kin

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
@Tomse, already installed the split program, don't like the gui nor the command line, but if it does work I'll use it anyway. Because it's needed once to do a proper job, so like or no like, it does not matter.

Thanks for pointing!

@Kin,

I found various version on the A3000, even old "game a like" versions :) I'll try if it wan'ts to move to workbench disks(y)

Probably no solution, but no test no knowledge,. (since it will take file by file compressing double files etc..)

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

Ok, I managed to get a version on the workbench disk on a real machine, it's not the version KIN was talking about, since it's real dungeon history I found..

But hey it works..:) (I found a more recent version but did not manage to fit it on one disk, but It does not need to since I have external flop to if needed..))

So for the record:

A3000:

The problem: (in uae thinkpad) (22 disks?? uh no way!)

I am about to give up and just use winblows to cut the files or linux, unzip exists and is working on amiga so..

I was just hoping to dump the partititon contents on the real thing, in one file, use the bzip2 (one file linux zipper) port and use the splitter mentioned by Tomse to split it on a flop..(y)

Would it be safe to copy the contents of the workbench to "a windblows directory" and do the needed work from there?:readit:

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
@jvdbossc
np mate, just happy to help out :)

now, I'm alittle curious..
what does your WB contain of stuff ?

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
@Tomse,

I am just building a functional working 3.1 desktop, it does not contain whdload.

It has the "graphic" updates like mui scala etc.. for office, final writer, pdf viewer printer etc.. Far from complete yet.. since some tools are no good in my eyes, so testing and testing...it's also a tool work system with the tools I need, tsgui, hdtoolbox from aminet, updates etc.. No distro intentions there are already good legal ones, I am not willing to comprimise due to copyrights..

The menu system is Daemon tools found on aminet, no windows 95 copycat here...(y)

It should run on the A500 to, since some packages get installed but not activated on startup sequence.

So basically some fun project for me...:whistle:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
The hdf writing with tsgui (I did not realise that was a aworking option) and bzip2 cut's it to 8 MB so 8 disks and still need to do all the office apps..:( I am thinking in moving the whole thing to a cd ;) I've got no A500 's without cdrom, and the ones that don't have one have no hard disk at all so :roll:

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
Nice one.. definitely much better when you have a large amount of data :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
So why not just toss another hard drive into your Amiga, back up the entire hard drive & then remove the back up drive, safely storing it away. ;)

You could use Directory Opus after partitioning the backup drive to just copy the files over.

Does DiskSalve Clone disks? - I can'na remember Cap'n!?

Kin

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Kin,

The flop idea, is getting out of my head, since it's growing to fast in size.:Doh: At the end it will be just to big to be reliable backed up, and on a 68000 it will be to much to ask :dry:

I'll have to stick with winuae or cdrom anyhow.. There so much patches and improvements for os 3.1:(

I even found a guide from a guy to build up amiga os 3.1 comparible to amiga os 3.9 currently doing that one on top of this, of course without activating all of it.. (it's on the boing bag 3 & 4 web-pages)

So I'll just use the splitting idea for the small basic first versions and experiment further, see where it's going, it's rather handy to just zip the hdf and move on...

Top Bottom