Workbench Fallback

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I am wondering at what level you can use the assign command? Where is it ? Is it in Kickrom ? .

What happens with this command:

ASSIGN DH0: DH1:

At what file/boot up level can I use it. (as early as possible)

(meaning is to have various workbench choices, if one of them fails because of my foulishness, resort to the stable one whit one edit)

I am not looking for other solutions like right mouse button, I wan't DH0: gone and DH1 to be DH0: if this is possible at least..

MagerValp

Country
Sweden
Region
Gothenburg
You can simply do multiple WB installs, and choose which one to boot using the early startup menu. Reassigning SYS: and such is painful.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I wan't DH0: gone and DH1 to be DH0: if this is possible at least..

If it´s a permantent thing, I would do the change in HdToolbox.

1) Assign is a command which resides in the C directory "C:"

2) Assign is avaiable as soon as kickstart has started booting S:Startup-Sequence or on DOS prompt after a boot with no starup sequence

3) For a swap to work:
Copy system files from DH0 to DH1
Insert ASSIGN VolumnameDH0: VolumeNameDH1: early into user-startup
While booted from DH0 fix the disk names in HDtoolbox.
Apply changes and reboot.

That should be it. Notice, this is a permanent change, and after this you can delete, reformat or whatever with DH0 provided you´ve saved what you need to.

Last edited:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
txs

txs

Magervalp, txs for pointing this, but my question has onother goal. I realise it is confusing since you solved my question, but it is a theory, let's presume we do not have early boot option:

arnjot: What I wan't is to boot from DH0, let take DH1 over, (hopefully it thinks it is dh0 after short wile) and do it's thing (like multiboot). let's start classicwb or amisys. (editing alway's a file ofcourse so no real boot menu need)

Oh if I am fet up with it, or maide a mistake let's boot from DH0 let's take DH4 over DH0. (or let's say I just crashed amigaos once more. (i am able to do that)

DH0 should not go, it should just perform a "core" function. i am not trieng to be difficult, but having "a core" and then "a system" is maybe a conceptual thing, but I had it also with different os's and it can be fun to play around and to experiment.

Since OS 3.1 is mostly enough to start with I think it should be possible,

So I take Insert ASSIGN VolumnameDH0: VolumeNameDH1: early into user-startup does the trick?:bowdown:

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I think I see.

There are a lot of "core" directories in OS3.x

C:
Libs:
DEVS:
FONTS:
T:
ENV:
ENV-ARC:
L:
SYS:

All of these must be pointed to the operating system you want to "boot".

There might be more of them.

The reason why I mentioned volume names, is that some installers. Like OPUS for example. Will make assigns of its own in user-startup.

The problem is that I´m not sure what will take precedence. An assign or a mounted volume name if dh0 is still present with it´s volume.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
The problem is that I´m not sure what will take precedence. An assign or a mounted volume name if dh0 is still present with it´s volume.
You cannot mount an ASSIGN if the device already exists at device level.

So,

ASSIGN DH0: DH1:

will not work if DH0: already exists.
You can get around this by issueing

ASSIGN DH0: DISMOUNT (if using Workbench 2.x/3.x)
or
ASSIGN DH0: REMOVE (if using Workbench 1.2/1.3)

which will temporarily remove the DH0: device ..... you can still access the drive via volume label though (so Workbench: for instance, will still work)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
In GVP FaaastPrep disk is an utility to swap the boot partition at any time you want. All you need to do issue it.

Defdisk is the name of the utility and are in GVPutils drawer.

As matter of advice, never write hard links in Unix-like systems like Amiga Workbench. Use "C:" , never "DH0:C", use Sys:, never "DH0:". This will avoid a lot of headaches to you.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
woodycool

woodycool

Woodycool, the point is, start the base, (dho) and everything based on workbench 3.X should not know better than to start different configs after this point, (or the user) most programs should work and DHX would start a configuration, but is and remains based on 3.1 and afterwards using any 3.1 based amiga "distro." I mean with the brackets that any "power config" should do it's thing afterwards (and my own ofcourse)

Of course it would be better to just cut dh0 and to be for the workbench dh(null), without the os knowing better, if it is possible.. I mean with cut dh0: it remains unchanged and that dh1: runs and saves installations with as saving as can be done for the app.

I know we have multiple boot options i wan't it by os not right button. "core" and "system" concept. Like having no boot options..

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Use a simple mouse or keystroke detection software at boot time to run a script who make all the logic assigns to the desired boot partition.

Defdisk from GVP utilities is one of those. I'm sure there exists others. A competent Amiga user can write one for you, but the better thing is you learn how to do this.

An example: I have a A2000 with the ancient GVP Impact (that with up 8Mb in Fast RAM space and IDE controller). I installed an old 512Mb IDE in it with a complete 3.1 Workbench. In the startup-sequence I used a choice command to load a SCSI controller (GVP HC+8) with OS3.9 installed in a 18Gb HD.

When I want 3.9, I hold the left mouse key and the machine load 3.9 with all bells and whistles. If I want plain 3.1 to free RAM and speed gain, I simply leave the machine boots up. Knowing how to do is the key, here.;)

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
There's also a program called Startup Menu which I use on my A1200.
I have three options in the list .... 3.1, 3.9 and straight to an AmigaDOS prompt.

The installation renames your Startup-Sequence to Startup-Sequence.OS3 (or .OS2 if you install it on a 2.x machine) and replaces Startup-Sequence with it's own (which only contains enough commands to start the menu)
Under each button, you configure which Startup-Sequence to use, so basically, this appears really early in the whole scheme of things.
You could then use a simple CLI utility such as MoveSYS as the first line in your Startup-Sequence for whatever OS like so:

ASSIGN SYS: DH1:
MOVESYS SYS:

Problem solved!

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Woody also flags up a good point. Whilst (in theory) you could reassign SYS: DHx: and all the other AmigaDOS mount points, your Amiga will continue to execute Startup-sequence from whatever partition you booted from.

What is the actual goal here? Multi-boot Workbench versions without using the Early Startup menu? If you could let us know what you're hoping to achieve, we might be able to give more useful advice. :)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
txs

txs

Will post an explanation when I tried this, will be at the earliest on wednesday.

Not going to try it on my A1200 but on my A4000 wich should be complete on tuesday.

The last poster said that execution from the "startup script" file is still running from Dh0 but it should be another config then on dh1 or dh3.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Will post an explanation when I tried this, will be at the earliest on wednesday.

Not going to try it on my A1200 but on my A4000 wich should be complete on tuesday.

The last poster said that execution from the "startup script" file is still running from Dh0 but it should be another config then on dh1 or dh3.
and from there, you can issue

EXECUTE DH1:S/STARTUP-SEQUENCE
(replace DH1: with whatever drive it's on ..... but more helpfully, re-assign all the directories, then replace DH1:S/ with S:)

Top Bottom