Harrison

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I'm after a rom switcher to use in an A600 to switch between KS2.05 and KS3.1

If anyone has one please let me know how much you would like for the switcher and postage to/within the UK.

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
219   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
Re: WTB: A600 rom switcher

You have a PM on the way :wink:

Dave G 8)

AmigaManiac

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
Australia.
Region
Lithgow, NSW

I have just designed a ROM switcher, for any two ROMS. It fits nicely inside the A500. I expect the PCB's to arrive in a few days. I will be selling them for AUD$20 each. It is compatible with any MB revision of A500, maybe also 600, 2000 or 2500. It has a jumper, so there is no trace to cut or pins to bridge I have had 50 PCB's manufactured, so there is plenty to go around :-D

Nathan

Harrison

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

@davideo

Thanks for the email. I will get back to you Friday and let you know regarding the rom switcher.

@ultrareliable

Do you have pictures of your new rom switcher? Would be great to get a brand new one. What would the shipping cost to the UK?

AmigaManiac

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
Australia.
Region
Lithgow, NSW

I'm still waiting for the PCB's, which I expect to receive in a few days :) I will post a photo of a completed ROM switcher, in the Hardware for sale (Amiga) section, as well as specs etc.

The little devil won't weigh much, so shipping to the UK would be between AUD$3.35-AUD$5.35, via air mail. I'll have exact postal rates worldwide once I have weighed the completed KS ROM switcher ;-)

Thanks for your interest ;-)

Nathan

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

@Nathan

Very interesting project :D, if you have couple of spare non-populated PCB's I would be interested in .... well a couple of them :D

AmigaManiac

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
Australia.
Region
Lithgow, NSW

@ zetr0

Howdy zetr0 :wink: By non-populated, do you mean without ROMS, or the PCB "naked" :LOL: without any components soldered onto it?

I probably won't be offering them with any ROMS anyway, as that would be too expensive. Unless I can find a cheap source of new KS 1.3 & 3.1 ROMS :D

From memory, there are about 166 points to solder in total :shock: I will probably also offer the ROM switcher with all components and PCB, for the masochist that, like me, likes to solder :) But it will probably only be AUD$1-2 cheaper this way - so again, only for people that like to punish themselves/suffer :)

I'm still waiting for the PCB's :roll: I'll keep eveyone posted :wink:

Nathan

Harrison

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Sounds great. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Is there any way you will be able to test this with an A600 to check it works?

Does anyone else know if A500 rom switchers are fully compatible with the A600?

AmigaManiac

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
Australia.
Region
Lithgow, NSW

@ Harrison

There certainly is :D I purchased an A600 MB for just this purpose :D Since the ROMS are pin compatible, I can't see why it won't work...In fact, I'm gonna go test my ugly prototype on my A600 MB right now - with A KS1.3 and 3.1. I just can't wait for the PCB's for this little test :)

Nathan

AmigaManiac

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
Australia.
Region
Lithgow, NSW

@ Harrison and anyone with an A600

Just did the test. Worked the same as on my A500. I knew in theory that it should work without any problems, as the ROMS are pin compatible between A500/600/2000/2500. But, now I have verified in practice :D

AmigaManiac

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
Australia.
Region
Lithgow, NSW

*Correction*

Did the test with the 2.05 ROM and 1.3. I couldn't be bothered opening the case of my A500 again, and prying the 3.1 ROM out. The A600 MB was sitting there with the 2.05 ROM in it, so it was a quick and easy test. It doesn't matter which two ROM's are in the KS ROM Switcher, just as long as they are made for A500/600/2000/2500

Nathan

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

@All

I can confirm that A500 / A600 / A2000 Kickroms are indeed Pin compatible.

For the most part, a Kickstart 3.1 that works in an A500 will also work in the A600 and A2000 (and A1000 with ROM adapter)

the only thing is depending on machine will also depending on supporting components being used, such as PCMCIA on the A600 and Zorro2 on the A2000 :)

However saying this... IF you use a KickRom 1.3 in an A600 you will loose the internal IDE as well as PCMCIA support :)

@Nathan

I am interested in a couple of blank non-populated PCB's sir :)

AmigaManiac

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
Australia.
Region
Lithgow, NSW

@ zetr0

Hmmm...I'm curious as to why you would want the PCB only. Wouldn't you want the components to solder onto it too?

@all

zetr0 is correct :) I thought that was common knowledge - after all you can't use something that is not physically there :-S Also, when the KS1.3 came out, there was no PMCIA slot or IDE onboard, so clearly the ROM would not support such things.

Nathan

Fingerlickin_B

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Country
Australia
Region
Belco

ultrareliable said:
Hmmm...I'm curious as to why you would want the PCB only. Wouldn't you want the components to solder onto it too?

Because he is Zetro & we all know Zetro likes full-frontal PCB nudity :p

Oh, you can be sure he'd already have the required components...he's got everything! :mrgreen:

PZ.

AmigaManiac

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
Australia.
Region
Lithgow, NSW

@all

here is a link with some info about my KS ROM switcher: https://www.amibay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=803

Function of the KS ROM switcher is the same regardless ;-)

Nathan

P.S. Pardon my manners :oops:

ED: Photo removed as no longer relevant. A600 model will look similar to this https://www.amibay.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=832&p=5865#p5865 but with ribbon cable bent differently. Check the above URL to see photos (coming soon...) of a ROM switcher on an A600 MB - will be placed next to keyboard ribbon connector on MB (more clearance/room).

AmigaManiac

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
Australia.
Region
Lithgow, NSW

@all

I have taken some photos of my PCB's. One shows the 49 remaining, the other two are close-ups of the PCB front and rear, to show quality. I will be populating a PCB in a couple of hours. After that, I will post an ad in the Amiga hardware section with all details, pics, specs etc. If any of the photos are the same as in my other postings, they will be moved there, and links put in ;-) (I'm a good boy :D)

@zetr0

You never did find the time to answer my question as to exactly why you would like PCB's *only*? This makes me a little nervous/paranoid. I didn't think that it was unreasonable to ask you why you want PCB's only :oops: . It wouldn't have taken you more than a minute to reply. Something like - "I want to look at the PCB, to get an idea of how it works, then assemble it myself." I don't really know you zetr0, so I don't really know if you are a nice honest guy, or a shrewd and cunning sly fox :p

If you want it in kit form, it is the same price $AUD20 - which conatins all components, and intructions for assembly. They are basically just the fastest way I have found to assemble them, kind of a guidline.

If you want PCB's only - AUD$15 each. I will also include the above mentioned instructions to aid you, as well as a parts list ;-)

Thanks all :wink: :mrgreen:

Nathan

ED: I have removed the close-up photo of the rear of the PCB, on the off chance that some unscrupulous person *may* try to reverse-engineer my KSRS based on photos alone. The other two photo's have moved here: https://www.amibay.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=832 as that post is now the focus for me, plus it makes things easier for prospective buyers to see what they are buying :)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

@ultrareliable

:) hmmm sly fox.... no... afraid not, but i do understand your concern.

hmmm take only a minute to reply LOL... you dont know my epic posts!!! LOL

So why would i want one unpopulated, well because, as my friend Fingerz states, i do indeed "have all the stuff" here to make it, thus hoping i could make it cheaper for the boards etc... (yes i am proficient but also lazy ;))

Also I was curious if i could modify the board to allow for a 27C800 chip (42pin), alas thats not the case :(.

I love hardware, and the PCB you have there is indeed AWESOME, I engage my self in making and revising PCB's for open projects, from simple Zip/Dip package changers to ram controllers and (working hard) 020 accelerator for A500 / A600

have a look here for some of the projects i get my mits into, again its all open source so if you like a design help yourself to it :) btw some of these are old and need a re-work ;)

the latest project I am close to completing is infact an External SVideo/15KHz/Composite Video unit for the Amiga (included nice slutty shot of the near finished item)

you will find that I live/lurk on the following board

eab.abime.net, www.classicamiga.com, OldSkoolUK, Retr0ComputerMuseum oh and AmiBay

Google has some interesting data on me.... but before you ask.... she told me she was 18 ;) :D

anyway as promised, some hardware pr0n :D

(click to enlarge) :Caution HUGE IMAGE

(click to enlarge) :Caution HUGE IMAGE

AmigaManiac

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
Australia.
Region
Lithgow, NSW

@Zetro & all

If anyone wants blank PCB's, with no components, they are AUD$15 each.

Postage/shipping rates to the UK & Worldwide via air mail from Australia:

1-2 PCB's AUD$3.35
3-10 PCB's AUD$5.35

I take payment via PayPal in AUD$...

The above prices include the cost of the little mailing box. I don't post goodies in envelopes like some people :-D

Nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom