Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I have my A2000 now, but the SCSI card it came with appears to be faulty. Also, I would like a few other Zorro cards for it to play with. I'm therefore looking for:

• Zorro SCSI card: Preferably a "Hard-Card" with space for a disk on it.[/*:m:2rh2scls]
  • FastRAM: 8MB would be adequate, ideal solution would be a GVP Impact HC 8, giving me the RAM and the SCSI in one.[/*:m:2rh2scls]
  • Network card: Ariadne or similar -- There's one on fleabay right now, but it seems a bit expensive to me. (Alternatively, an ISA bridgeboard & NE2000 would probably do the job)[/*:m:2rh2scls]
  • CPU upgrade: 060 would be awesome, 040 would be nice, 030 would be adequate :) (Even better if it supports 32-bit FastRAM)[/*:m:2rh2scls]
  • Video Toaster (If it's cheap enough, just to play with, really)[/*:m:2rh2scls]
  • Graphics card (Picasso would be nice, but I'm open to offers of others, again just to play with)[/*:m:2rh2scls]
  • 2MB ChipRAM / ECS upgrade (Fat Angus/Super Denise: Not essential, but would be nice if price is right)[/*:m:2rh2scls]

Not sure about value; my budget for A2000 toys is about £100, so I'll pick and choose what I need most, depending on what's on offer. If you've got nice things that cost more than that, you can still let me know about them, and I will make a judgement. :)

Thanks in advance!

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
219   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
Re: WTB: Expansions for my A2000

I've got a GVP A2000-HD series II rev 4 card.

This doesn't have space for ram on board. Worked perfectly when tested in my 4000D.

Space on board for a hard drive.

Amiga Resource has this to say about it

Code:
SCSI 2 DMA controller 
WD 33C93 @ 7 MHz 
3.58 MB/s transfer speed 
FaaastROM SCSI driver (gvpscsi.device) - autobooting requires at least Kickstart 1.3 
autoboot disable jumper 
RDB compatible 
place for a 3.5" hard disk on the card 
50 pin internal SCSI header 
DB25 external connector 
hard disk activity LED connector 
no termination power 
no memory expansion 
A-Max II driver (gvpscsi.amhd) 
supported by Linux and NetBSD

Could be supplied with HD and cable if you want for an extra £5.

Looking for £15 ONO + postage

Dave G 8)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

£15 sounds like a very fair price for this card.

If it's this card:
http://amiga.resource.cx/photos/photo2.pl?id=impact2000hcmk2&pg=1&res=hi&lang=en

I will need the power cable that goes with it (although, I guess I could just draw from the A2000 supply), but I don't need a hard disk or SCSI cable (I have an approximately-infinite supply of both :!: )

Can you PM me your details and the P&P charges, so I can PayPal you the cash? I'll PM you my delivery address.

Cheers!

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
219   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs

@Andy

That's the card. No power lead though I'm afraid. I powered it from the standard main onboard connecters.

You might want to grab the software and manual off the same site as the picture.

PM replied to (y)

Dave G 8)

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
219   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs

@Andy

An update for you - just come back from the postoffice. The card should be with you in a couple of days. I also owe you a small refund on the postage :)

Dave G 8)

Tahoe

Collector Extrodinaire
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Wilnis

I've got either a Video Toaster 2000, or a Video Toaster 4000 left over. 50€ for the first, 85€ for the second.

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Rating - 95.2%
20   1   0
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire

@AndyLandy:

The Ariadne was mine and it went at the weekend :( I do have a whole heap of A2000 stuff that i`m going to sell at some point but for now i have a Oktagon 2008 up for grabs for £30 including postage. I will send it with disks to get you going to.

Let me know if it`s any use to you.

Cheers,

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

@Tahoe - Thank you for the offer. I think they are a little expensive for me at the moment. I will let you know if my finances change.

@Brataccas - You did well with that Ariadne; I didn't think it would sell for as much as it did. Thanks for the offer of the SCSI card, but I have already sourced one from someone else on AmiBay.

I think the top of the current 'A2000 Want' list is a CPU upgrade/FastRAM. Once I've got that and the Hard Disk/CD in-place, I will come back for other oddities. :)

Oh, and is the A2088 PC-XT card it came with worth having? Or should I just remove it and offer it up here, so I can use the Zorro slot for something else?

Thanks again, all! I think it's time for some :coffee:

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ AndyLandy

http://shop.ebay.de/merchant/cph_ao_W0Q ... 0QQ_sopZ12

AllocVec from A.org has an A2630 & a DKB 2632 Ram Board in his inventory. I'm already guessing it's out of your pocket range, but thought I'd say all the same. This stuff is getting so rare now, it's either pay up or loose out.

Another chap has a Fusion 040 for sale too on a BIN or make offer affair.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0409861841

Either way, good luck finding what you're after.

Kin

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

@Kin Hell

Thanks for the heads-up; already been following the '030 and DKB 2632. Didn't know about that Fusion Forty though. I've asked the seller if he'll ship to the UK, as I'm quite happy with that price for what it is.

Fingers crossed :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Yeah, good luck Andy. Hope you are lucky. :D

Kin

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

If you feel brave, keep the A2088 inside the A2000 and plug a network card (ISA, of course). IIRC, only 3COM NE2000 will work.

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Rating - 98.8%
81   1   0
Country
UK
Region
Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands

and if you dont i be intrested in the A2088 PC-XT as long as its cheap enough

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

Well, I've got the SCSI card and installed it; The info tool says it's present, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to actually do anything with it! HDInstTools reckons there's no hard disks, and the GVP software can't see any either. Anyone have any troubleshooting tips? Don't forget that I've never messed with Zorro before, so this is all new to me :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Make a copy of HDToolbox. Rename it to GVP_Toolbox or what ever. In the tool types field make sure you create the string,
DEVICE=gvpscsi.device. If there is already a DEVICE= there, edit to read gvpscsi.device

You should now be able to address the Controller.

Kin

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

@Kin -- You are my new best friend! :bowdown:

HDToolBox has found the disk and is currently formatting it. It's a 4GB drive, so we may be here some time. I'll let you know the outcome. :)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

I can partition and format the HDD, but I'm getting "Disk is not validated" errors whenever I try and write anything to it. I guess this is possibly due to either Kickstart or filesystem limitations. The disk is a Seagate Barracuda ST15150N which is about 4GB after formatting.

What are the various size-limitations for Amiga hard disks and filesystem partitions?

The A2000 currently has Kickstart 2.05 ROMs (37.300) and Workbench 3.0 software. The HDInstTools software I'm using is 6.9 (30.10.99) -- Can I get away with <2GB partitions on a 4GB disk, or will I need newer software for that? Also, if I upgrade to KS3.1/WB3.9, would I be able to use a single 4GB partition?

Also
@davideo -- Thanks for the SCSI card, I've left feedback for you!

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
219   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs

Andy

The drive that was on that card was a 6GB split into 2 partitions.

It worked perfectly under OS3.1 on my 4000/30.

You should be able to partition off 2GB (I'm not sure what the max partition is on 2.05) if you want and leave the rest until you upgrade.

It could be a problem using 2.05 with WB3.0. Have you tried a WB2 setup?

Have you set up termination?

Feedback being returned.

Thanks, Dave G 8)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

@Davideo & AndyLandy:

The maximum HD size is dependent of the controller's ROM, not the kickstart version. Since the controller is built-in in some Amiga models and just then the kickstart ROM version is the barrier.

So pending on the GVP ROM version (4.15 is the latest and can use up ~8Gb without problems) the HD can be pretty much the one you can grab.

For partitions: the File System is the next "blocked door" in this case. So for WB2.x the maximum partition size is 1Gb using FFS. For bigger partitions you need another FS (SFS* or PFS**).

*SFS just work with a 020 CPU or better.

**PFS is commercial and very hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom