Closed WTB External Scandoubler/Flicker Fixer: Scandex, ToastScan..

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenon

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Country
Zaragoza, Spain
Region
Aragon
Ok, I want to buy a Micronik Scandex external Scandoubler. Contact me if you want to sell one :)

I don't care also if it's another external scandoubler for A1200 (ToastScan or Scanmagic for example)

Regards,

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Re: WTB External Scandoubler

@ AndyLandy

That's not a true Scan Doubler m8 & certainly not a Flicker Fixer. Interfacing with the amiga will be Composite at best & look worse than using RGB to Scart.

Kin

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

I thought that the two terms were interchangeable: Scan Doubler <=> Flicker Fixer (Given one removes the flicker effect by doubling the frequency of the TV signal) For sure, you won't get as good results as you would with an Amiga-specific ScanDoubler that sits inline with the graphics chipset, but if you're looking for a cheap solution, I'd have thought this would do the job. It also supports YPbPr input, so shouldn't be any worse than SCART. (Assuming you can get YPbPr out of the Amiga)

I'm not a salesperson from Maplin, but I don't see how/why this wouldn't work. Please do enlighten me if I'm wrong; you might save me blowing £40 on one of these devices. :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

rkauer might have something to say about this?

Kin

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Lots to say about the matter.

Just can't do it now. Later I'll answer properly.

As a word of advice, listen to Kin's advice and run away from any "pure" scandoubler (no flicker fixing) and specially from those upscalers who just takes composite and transform it to VGA.

All flicker-fixers are scandoublers, a pure scandoubler is not a flicker-fixer.

As for component video (Y-Pb-Pr, aka YUV), I designed one some time ago. No one for sell, BTW.

S-VHS is dead easy to make from Amiga RGB (Nathan's external device on this very forum) or even internally on A600 & A1200 (few components and very cheap). S-VHS is really good for TV resolutions.

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ xenon

It's a shame your not wanting an Internal FF/SD. Do you mind me asking why you must have an external one?

@ rkauer

Cheers m8y. :D :pint:

Kin

xenon

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Country
Zaragoza, Spain
Region
Aragon

Well, for me it's easier to plug it when I need it, and also I've read that Indivision doesn't fit well for example if you have your A1200 with an internal 2,5" HD like me (and also, vga plug doesn't fit in the A1200 case).

Regards,

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

The internal VGA Socket can be fitted to the Expansion plate & afaik, you should be able to fit a DCE FF/SD with your internal hard drive.
Can anyone confirm the internal DCE SD/FF fits into an A1200 case when used in conjunction with an internal HD? - Tbh, I don't think there should be a problem.

Kin

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

I Have a DCE SD/FF fitted in my 040 A1200 and a 4 way IDE interface with 40GB 2.5" HD fitted internally too, just need a slightly longer 44way IDE cable and some good ole velcro...
My 030 A1200 has an Indivision AGA and again similar HD / IDE setup with no problems either.

Been using both systems like that for a long time with no issues whatsoever...

I also concur that the Maplins unit, although handy is not going to give you anywhere near satisfactory results with the A1200...

TC :)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

Reviewing this unit I am gonna have to speak out agaisnt the contrary here.

Firstly I will say look on fleabay you will be able to get this unit a lot cheaper!

This unit is identical to one of the two units I have here, and it de-interlaces the screen as well as up-scales them.

Input of S-Video is available which is very close to RGB and in most cases you wont notice the difference.

I have one of these jigged upto an RGB SVideo adapter developed by Ultra-Reliable, this inturn is plugged into my (MOST FUSSY) 42" Hitachi plasma TV via the VGA in

1280x512x8 ... no flicker ! smooth stable screen

Its interesting how these units work, you set the screen mode (say 1280x1024) and everything is de-interlaced then scaled upto that size... with 3 inputs and pass through, this is a great way to use not only an Amiga, but perhaps Amiga(s) or other consoles / devices through the TV/RCA composite even component (yPbPr) input!

I also like the fact you have the VGA pass-through, that way you can switch between your deivces quickly and effortlessly, (with remote control :D)

Dont forget you get 100 channel tuner / picture in picture... yes... you can have an amiga desktop in highres on the graphics card and play cannon fodder via the native output in PIP... very cool.... pointless... but COOOL!!!

if you were looking to shave a few pennies then I would recomend this unit, again, shop around you can get it a lot cheaper :)

xenon

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Country
Zaragoza, Spain
Region
Aragon

Well, my WTB is still open, so if you have a A1200 external scandoubler/flickerfixer, please contact me :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Kin Hell said:
The internal VGA Socket can be fitted to the Expansion plate & afaik, you should be able to fit a DCE FF/SD with your internal hard drive.
Can anyone confirm the internal DCE SD/FF fits into an A1200 case when used in conjunction with an internal HD? - Tbh, I don't think there should be a problem.

Kin

The only problem I know on the old internal scandoublers are the heat. To give some lifespan to the device you need to provide a heatsink to the video chip, so you need a longer IDE cable and some way to raise the HD a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom