WTF were Phillips thinking when they designed the CD-i

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria
Hi folks.
Just the other day i decide to play Hotel Mario on my Philips CD-i player. Upon turning the unit on, i got the memory manager screen saying that the memory was full and i had to delete some items. I was unable to delete anything from the memory as the CD-i would not allow me to. I turned the unit off for a few minutes and then turned it back on. I now get an error message on the units digital display. I remember reading years ago when i first got the CD-i that this happens when the battery for the Real time clock is dead. I quickly got on the internet to do some research on what was happening, and sure enough these are the symptoms when the battery is dead. The CD-i no longer keeps the time nor any game data saved. I thought this would be as simple as changing a battery, but after reading further about it, it was not to be that easy. Phillips has installed a Timekeeper IC (M48T08 150) which contains the memory and lithium battery all inside the chip. These chips are soldered directly to the motherboard just to make replacing them just that little bit more fun. I then checked my other CD-i units and although they still function ok without any error messages, they have dead batteries also. So now i have 2 Phillips CD-i 210 players (i wanted to sell one but now cannot till i get this issue fixed) and a Magnavox CD-i 450 player that need the Timekeeper IC replaced. Why didnt Phillips install these chips on a socket so they could easily be replaced, or even better, why didnt they fit the lithium battery on the motherboard, like PC's. There is a hack however that i found on a Commodore info page: http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/cip/arti ... keeper_fix
Can anyone here source some cheap Timekeeper IC's, or should i go ahead with the battery hack and hope i dont stuff anything up??

Cheers

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Re: WTF were Phillips thinking when they designed the CD-i

Some peecee boards have those buggers, too.

Just locate the battery pins (just 2), snap them off and place a pair of wires to a remote battery. Problem solved.

Oh, check the datasheet of the chip to locate the necessary pins, Google (and Alldatashet.com) is your friend, here. :wink:

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria

rkauer said:
Some peecee boards have those buggers, too.

Just locate the battery pins (just 2), snap them off and place a pair of wires to a remote battery. Problem solved.

Oh, check the datasheet of the chip to locate the necessary pins, Google (and Alldatashet.com) is your friend, here. :wink:

:thanks: that sounds much better than hacking away at the chip to expose the battery like in the link i posted above. I'll start looking for the info needed on the chip pins.

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria

Ok, could you just verify something for me as i am hopeless when it comes to diagrams of this nature. Going by the diagram here, (click to view) http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-p ... 48T08.html I need to snap off pin 14 which is ground, and snap off pin 28 which is the supply voltage. I then connect wires to these 2 pins and connect the negative side of the battery to the wire going to pin 14 and the positive to the wire going to pin 28. That would be correct would it :shrug:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Sorry, for the datasheet I see you can't snap the legs off. If you do the chip will not work at all.

But you can use an external lithium cell and a germanium diode to keep time (pretty much the same hack used on Amigas).

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria

No need to be sorry. I appreciate you trying to help out. :thanks: Well it looks like i'll be hacking the IC as shown in the link of my first post. Thanks again rkauer.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Bad hardware design has always been a problem with a lot of makes, models and types of hardware. At the time I expect Philips thought the integrated single chip solution was a great idea and probably saved on manufacturing costs too.

Batteries have probably been the biggest issue for most old hardware though, and it is easy to now moan, asking what they were thinking installing non replaceable batteries soldered directly to the motherboards that would eventually leak.

However, I highly doubt they envisaged their CD-i's still being used nearly 20 years later. Which is also true of Commodore when they fitted their batteries to their big box systems and the A500 Plus.

It is however good that replacement solutions are not that hard to do.

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria

@Harrison

From what i read when searching for a solution on the internet, the battery was supposed to last about 20 years before it needed replacing which is a good run if it did last that long. Anyway i really have no need to keep the time, date and most game data saved on the CD-i with the exception of Hotel Mario. This is an awesome game that allows you to continue from the last level that you end the game on. Because of the CD-i battery being dead, any progress from the beginning of the game till the last level i play will be lost when i turn the power off. (n)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

It always makes me laugh how grown American's use the word "poop". Such a childish word that only exists in that context in the US. :LOL:

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901

Well my country does SUCK!!!! I really needed my break in China and Hong Kong, such countries are 90^nth power better than the US!!!! I mean, Obama was a change, (pun intended) but I really hate a lot about the is country. Getting back to topic, I wanted to find one of those that has cd-i link working at a burger stand, and everybody who comes by asks if he has anything but burgers.

Top Bottom