X-Surf DNS Configuration Woes

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hey everyone,

I was configuring my new X-Surf card last night and much of the setup was fairly straight-forward. I installed the Genesis TCP/IP stack and Web Browser from the OS 3.9 disc then I installed the X-Surf software.

I was immediately able to ping my router and external IP Addresses but I cannot ping any domain names except for the ones in the local hosts file. DNS just does not seem to be working at all. I found the file with the IP configuration and noticed the UseNameServer field was empty. I populated that with a valid name server but still no go.

I spent hours on this and I cannot find information on what to do next. I've also tried to edit the Genesis settings through the GUI where you start and stop the network connection but the settings window never opens. Could someone please help me with this or point me to the correct information?

Oh, I've also installed MUI3.8 per the X-Surf instructions.

Thanks!

Heather

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Under normal circumstances, on a home network you would set the IP address of your DNS server (aka Name Server) to be your router's IP address, which then, in the router config contains the IP address of your ISP's DNS servers (and acts as forwarders)

If you specify a live IP address (such as your ISP's DNS servers) in your local machine's DNS config, you will be unable to connect to local resources via DNS names and sometimes this also affects connecting to computers via computer name (Windows 2000 and later can use DNS names for the computers on the network and so can some wireless print servers)

Try that first, just to see if it makes any difference (unless you've already got it configured like that)

Also, is there a way that you can verify whether the DNS service (or whatever the Amiga 'equivalent' to a service is) is running on your miggy?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
I can't speak for Genesis as I always used Miami. However, even with my Router controlling DNS, I always had to set Miami manually with a Static IP address for the Amiga & it always worked flawlessly. Miami would connect in less than a second & my home page would load the same.

Hope you can suss it out. (y)

Kin

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hi WoodyCool,

I've already tried the setting the DNS server to my router and to an external DNS server. Neither of them worked. Of course, I don't even know if I'm putting the DNS server information in the correct place. It's quite frustrating. I also don't even know if there is a DNS service of some type on the Amiga. :unsure: So frustrating.

Thanks for the ideas though. :D

Heather

---------- Post added at 09:59 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

@Kin

I would try Miami but don't you have to buy it and get a code for it? I'm totally lost on Amiga networking.

Thanks,

Heather

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Miami is no longer supported or available to buy.

Check your PM's. ;)

Kin

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Thanks Charlie and TSGill! I really appreciate all the help. :D

Heather

Top Bottom