Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Howdy All!

I got my X-Surf last week and decided to install it today.

After connecting it up the A4000 does not boot, I just get a flashing power light?

Any idea's? I cannot even get to early boot screen.

Incedently this is what happens if I try to run my PicassoIV in ZIII mode, so is this something else that does not like Buster 9?

I guess I'll have to get that buster 11 soon :(

Steve.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Still having problems with this :-(

Still having problems with this :-(

Well short update, the X-Surf checked out and was working fine in my new A4000 Tower so I decided to try moving everything to the Tower for further testing so in went the Apollo 4040 and PicassoIV...

And interestingly it seems to be the combination of X-Surf and PicassoIV that is the problem.

In either A4000 if these two cards are used together then all I get is flashing power light
frown.gif

Whilst I was at it I tried the PicassoIV in ZIII Mode in the tower and that checks out as working fine.

The motherboard in this setup has Buster 11.

Any idea's?

Steve.

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

Well I made some progress, by putting the X-Surf in another slot in the Tower I had it going along side the Picasso but then the system started hanging (maybe weak PSU?)

Anyway I've put everything back as it was now to save further risk of damaging stuff I've given up!

Would have been great to get the little fella online but I guess it wasn't meant to be :(

When I build my super dooper Tower, I'll get that one online, for now I'll probably sell the X-Surf.

Steve.

Last edited:

PymerOne

Noob pur sang
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands, Europe
Region
NoordHolland, Far side of civilisation's border.
Dear fitzsteve,

does either of the cards allow for configuring interrupt or ram adress?

Grtz, PymerOne.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Dear fitzsteve,

does either of the cards allow for configuring interrupt or ram adress?

Grtz, PymerOne.

Hi,

Thanks for the message however I don't know about that :(

I've put everything back as it was not, I'm scared to keep pulling these cards out in case I break something, I had a close shave with the PicassoIV as its so difficault to fit and really don't want to risk needlessly pulling that again.

I appreciate your input though, maybe once I get some more upgrades I can revisit this. In the mean time I might look at another Network option for my A4000D, its a shame they don't have a PCMCIA port, got a couple of Netgear MA401's here!

Anyway!

Since everything else it working well at the moment I'm going to draw a line under this for now.

Steve.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Just for the record, both versions of the X-Surf are Zorro II cards, so the Super Buster revision is pretty-much meaningless. If your Picasso is a Z2 model as well, they might be fighting for the same (limited) Z2 resources. Could try the Picasso in segmented mode and see if that helps?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Just for the record, both versions of the X-Surf are Zorro II cards, so the Super Buster revision is pretty-much meaningless. If your Picasso is a Z2 model as well, they might be fighting for the same (limited) Z2 resources. Could try the Picasso in segmented mode and see if that helps?

Hi AndyLandy,

I managed to get them to work together in the Tower PicassoIV in ZIII mode and moved X-Surf to another slot.

But in the Desktop I can only run the PIV in Zorro II mode (I think due to buster 9) Or maybe I just have a faulty Daughter Board in my Desktop.

When I have some spare beans I'm going to put up a wanted for another Daughter Board :cool:

Steve.

PymerOne

Noob pur sang
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands, Europe
Region
NoordHolland, Far side of civilisation's border.
x-surf

x-surf

Dear Fitzsteve,

its your call ;)

Grtz, PymerOne.

Last edited:

jurassicc

Country
England
Region
Somerset
Howdy All!

I got my X-Surf last week and decided to install it today.

After connecting it up the A4000 does not boot, I just get a flashing power light?

Any idea's? I cannot even get to early boot screen.

Incedently this is what happens if I try to run my PicassoIV in ZIII mode, so is this something else that does not like Buster 9?

I guess I'll have to get that buster 11 soon :(

Steve.

If you have a Buddha or other Zorro IDE card remove it.
XSurf 3cc and Buddha..... not good friends, happens with my Micronik Z2 R5 board here

Last edited:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
If you have a Buddha or other Zorro IDE card remove it.
XSurf 3cc and Buddha..... not good friends, happens with my Micronik Z2 R5 board here

I should have mentioned that to get the X-Surf/Tocatta and PIV to work in the Tower I had to loose the Buddha, however I still cannot get the X-Surf to work in the Desktop at all, regardless of what slot and regardless of what other cards are installed.

Convinced now the daughter board in my A4000D is a bit up the creak ;)

Top Bottom