Xbox One pulling the Muscles on physics - Crackdown 3

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Big issue with "cloud" processing.. The world's network is not ready for it. A lot of people are still stuck on fairly slow connections, but equally high ping rates which would kill such technology. Developers are working in closed network environments so the technology works, but in the real world it wouldn't cope.

BTW, I still hate the term "CLOUD". It's a marketing buzz world which is means nothing, other than conveying to customers that their data is floating around somewhere else, and not in their own system. I hate it more because companies like Apple are trying to market it as an amazing new thing, but in reality network server storage has existed since the dawn of computing.

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Big issue with "cloud" processing.. The world's network is not ready for it. A lot of people are still stuck on fairly slow connections, but equally high ping rates which would kill such technology. Developers are working in closed network environments so the technology works, but in the real world it wouldn't cope.

BTW, I still hate the term "CLOUD". It's a marketing buzz world which is means nothing, other than conveying to customers that their data is floating around somewhere else, and not in their own system. I hate it more because companies like Apple are trying to market it as an amazing new thing, but in reality network server storage has existed since the dawn of computing.
+1000 to that Dave, I hate the term "Cloud" too, and Apple! :D

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
when i watched the trailer and what they had planned it looks great, but im spoilt atm on 150mb connection,

I told my 16 yr old, "look at this, that's great physics off loaded to servers" he then replied "so the game doesn't work if the internet goes off ?" which totally slammed the door in my face :D

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Soon it will be "The WORLD doesn't work if the internet goes off"!!!

This is becoming true for a lot of new/current technologies. If the internet goes down you suddenly realise these days how much you use it. Smartphones and tablets don't really need local storage for more than app install space. Most actual content it hosted remotely on the internet and accessed using your devices.

The other big issue is archival and historical digital collecting in the future. At the moment if we want to collect games for a retro control such as the NES we can just collect the physical machine and game cartridges. Today's games are becoming more and more internet based. This means physical media is becoming all but obsolete. The problem in the future is then how to obtain today's games tomorrow? Many require the system being online to download and install the complete game before you can run it, or needs to be connected to it's server to account access to play the games, and more. Once the games are no longer supported the servers get shut down and the game is killed over night. So we will never be able to play them again and they will be lost to history, without any archival.

RED IMPACT

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Soon it will be "The WORLD doesn't work if the internet goes off"!!!

This is becoming true for a lot of new/current technologies. If the internet goes down you suddenly realise these days how much you use it. Smartphones and tablets don't really need local storage for more than app install space. Most actual content it hosted remotely on the internet and accessed using your devices.

The other big issue is archival and historical digital collecting in the future. At the moment if we want to collect games for a retro control such as the NES we can just collect the physical machine and game cartridges. Today's games are becoming more and more internet based. This means physical media is becoming all but obsolete. The problem in the future is then how to obtain today's games tomorrow? Many require the system being online to download and install the complete game before you can run it, or needs to be connected to it's server to account access to play the games, and more. Once the games are no longer supported the servers get shut down and the game is killed over night. So we will never be able to play them again and they will be lost to history, without any archival.

Apparently it's called 'progress'...

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
^^ sorta agree with this.

Xbox live went down a few days ago in the middle of a game,, the xbox just exited to the main menu, i lost my save and could not rejoin the game I paid for. (single player game btw, local play)

I'm old school, I like physical media but im also hooked on digital titles as I don't need to find the disk to play (I know lazy) and hence reliant on a network connection.

I still collect my movies physically, i tried Netflix, its good but!!! I dunno... didn't use it, so my server under my TV has a 6tb partition just for TV series and movies so the network can go off ;)

Top Bottom