Xbox to VGA

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
What is the simplest way to connect an Xbox (1st gen) to an LCD/VGA monitor? And also into HD resolutions connected to an HDTV (720p or 1080i)?

I've seen different switcher/converter boxes to convert the signal, much like those used with classic consoles to connect to a monitor. But is there an easier Xbox to VGA cable available?

For HD output does component need to be used?

My Xboxs are both currently using XBMC, but currently hooked up to a CRT TV. I want to relocate one to the corner of my desk and utilise it as a streaming media player/jukebox, with a monitor for media control.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
I got a VBOX 360HD converter... basically a component/hdmi -> vga converter, that is of great image quality and low lag...
BUT
there is a catch: although it can understand and display fine 50hz component signal, it will convert it to a 60hz vga one and you lose VSYNC , so 50hz pal stuff have jerky motion. There is no workaround and I have not found a similar box that works fine with 50hz input.
NTSC/60hz stuff look and move awesome though :D

here are some photos I made some time ago... that is component->vga you see :

IMG00170-20090822-2137.jpg

IMG00173-20090822-2139.jpg

IMG00176-20090822-2139.jpg

Megatron-UK

Country
UK
Region
Durham/Newcastle
The Xbox (1), has native support for HD resolutions. You'll need a component cable (there are various brands available, search the usual sources for Xbox HD component cable - they usually have an optical out port on them too, as a nice bonus), and a bios or software exploit. Then just plug it in and go.

Bear in mind that most games (with a few exceptions) are 480p/576p at best. Though there are a handful at 720p (and even a few 1080i), which look gorgeous.

Other than that, it's just the dashboard that will run at HD resolutions. Unless you have no way of connecting component cables up, I wouldn't bother with another box of tricks (vga or hdmi) between the Xbox and the display.

danhans115

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Leeds
I used mine in 720p/1080i and it looks fantastic. Off the top of my head I think its the EA games that support the higher resolutions such as Fifa etc.

I have a SmartXX installed in my xbox, and I had to change the console to NTSC using the EEPROM setting to enable the HD resolutions in the Xbox Dashboard.

Definately worth doing though, some of the emulators look really good with the filtering on in the higher HD resolutions.

There was also a custom BIOS/ cable that could be made that allowed you to hook the console up to straight VGA not using component.

Dan

Top Bottom