Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
It has SPDIF in.

My motherboard has SPDIF out.

My 24" Benq has HDMI in.

My GTX295 has 2xDVI out.

It's possible to output audio on the DVI (it also has a TMDS which can carry audio).

BUT

XFX in their wisdom has decided to only have the useless SPDIF in on the card, and laught at customers who try to get audio on the GX-295N-HWFA.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Re: XFX GTX295 pisses me off (GX-295N-HWFA)

I know your pain, Arnljot...

The current graphics card in my system is a 256Mb Geforce 7300LE made by XFX. Every time I put the original XFX driver CD in to install them, I kept getting the message "The drivers available on this CD do not support your hardware". :banghead: :shrug: The Nvidia generic reference drivers seem to work OK though. I won't be buying another graphics card from them. (n)

Maybe the company should be called "Ex-FX"... :laugh:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

I've bought XFX GPU cards over the years and not had any such issues. My current one is an XFX 4870 1GB XxX (factory OC) and it is great for the price. No problems at all.

But, I think some products from all makes can be badly designed, or just not up to usual standards.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

I´ve had cards from Dell, PowerColor, Sapphire and now XFX.

Of those Sapphire for their ATI card has provided the best software with their card,

Now, the XFX software package for this card is a-okay Nothing really to put the finger on.

But this particular card in question has poor documentation and also one useless connector.

Okay so it might cost a lot to make a production line where that connector isn´t mounted and the cable isn´t included in the box. But there is a part of the production line where the special backplate for that card is fitted, and since they don´t mention it in any way in the documentation - they could at least put a sticker over the connector sayin "not in use".

Grrr....

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

i never use the software supplied with a card, it always seems to be out of date, so i just download any software needed the day i install the card

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Me Neither. The first think I always do is download the latest drivers/software and install the card using those. Never from the included CDs.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

If it's any consolation Arnljot, The GTX295 smokes the 5870 in Crysis.

Link-er-ama - Heh H. :p

& RE: installing the supplied Drivers on the CD, PMSL :ROTFLOL2: - Ur havin' a Larf!

Kin

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

I don't get how you guys get "provided the best software with their cards" to "arnljot uses the supplied CD-ROM" :jester:

I rarely use the CDs, and when I do - like I did with the ASUS motherboard, I end up paying dearly for it in terms of time lost trying to revert or clean reinstall after a driver has fubar'ed the OS.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Kin Hell said:
If it's any consolation Arnljot, The GTX295 smokes the 5870 in Crysis.

Link-er-ama - Heh H. :p

Yes, it is amazing how closely the 5870's single core GPU keeps up with that cards special edition overclocked GTX295's 2 cores, and at over 90W less power consumption! And still costing less than the 295 (£299 vs £399). Can't wait to see the 5870 X2 head to head with the GTX295, then we will see a real comparison. ;)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Harrison said:
<sniiiip> Can't wait to see the 5870 X2 head to head with the GTX295, then we will see a real comparison. ;)

Er, actually no. - When we see the GT300 Series, only then can you make a real comparison. :nod:

Keep watching the smoke Harrison. :mrgreen:

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Well, you can only make comparisons with real on the market products and the 5870 and 295 are both here as the current flagships of the gaming GPU world, so of course you can.

Any news on the OTT pricing structure of the GT300 series yet?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

No Harrison you cant. The only real comparison for the GTX295 is the 4870X2. Same era, same technology. The 58xx cards are not yet challenged by nVidia & yet they still get smoked by nVidia's old cards. It'll be a walk in the park for nVidia this time round. "nuff said" :nod:

No update on GT300 at all yet.

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

If it exists, you can compare it. Nuff said.

That's like saying you can't compare a Ford GT40 against a Bugatti Veyron because they were not built in the same era.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Go & play with phpbb3 Harrison. :laugh:

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

:LOL: Given up have you? ;)

:thumbsup2:

Don't worry mate, I know where you are coming from. I can appreciate how powerful the 295 is and how powerful the GT300 is sounding. And if I had money to burn I would probably be running 2 295's in SLI right now on 2 30" monitors. But I always look at the best price to performance ratio on current graphics cards, looking for one that will run all current games at high settings and see me good for at least another year. For me the 4870 fitted these requirements perfectly and in my view was the best high performing card for money card at the time (now the 5870), not the best out and out performance card on the market, which is the 295.

It runs Resident Evil 5 on maximum settings at an average of 85fps (115fps Max, 55fps min), and that is more than enough for me.

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
The 5870 has not been out long so there's still some driver optimizations to be made... but still the 5870 does a very good job considering it's low power requirements and just a single core (the fastest single core GPU ever!).

There is no denying that the Radeon 5870 is a very energy efficient card considering the performance it packs! I'm always with ATI on the price front too 8)

I personally can't wait for the radeon 5890 and there X2 parts ;-) ... I just dream about a day where 3DFX or Matrox make a come back into the gaming market and wipe the floor with every GPU out there... but that's just me dreaming :ROTFLOL2:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
The 5870 has not been out long so there's still some driver optimizations to be made... but still the 5870 does a very good job considering it's low power requirements and just a single core (the fastest single core GPU ever!).

There is no denying that the Radeon 5870 is a very energy efficient card considering the performance it packs! I'm always with ATI on the price front too 8)

I personally can't wait for the radeon 5890 and there X2 parts ;-) ... I just dream about a day where 3DFX or Matrox make a come back into the gaming market and wipe the floor with every GPU out there... but that's just me dreaming :ROTFLOL2:

Fastest in 'some' instances m8, but largely, the GTX 295 still trashes the 5870. Pound/Yen/Lira/Dollar per Watt used, GTX295 is the better deal & forget desktops. An Amiga running 24Bit has far less banding than 32bit on a Pee Cee. Chuck a TFT flat panel on a Pee Cee & it's like a 16bit Pee Cee all over again. :rolleyes:

3Dfx (STB) will never make a come back, how ever much dreaming you do. nVidia bought their copyrights, but I'm still hearing ya! ;)

Look out for nVidia answer to the 5870. Then you'll see some real performance. :mrgreen:

Kin

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
It's not really fair to compare a 5870 and a gtx295 for raw performance as the GTX295 is dual core and consumes around 100W more! Lets wait until ATI releases a dual core GPU (or even a 5890x2 :drool:)... and i'm still pretty sure the 5870 is the fastest "single" core GPU on the market :wink:

Both ATI and Nvidia will be forever releasing new chips every few months just to try and stay ahead of eachother... give it a few months and the 5870, 5890, gtx295 and gtx300 will be old news! I try and find the best performance/price ratio card that will last me a while, be it either Nvidia or ATI at the time :nod:

I always found ATI cards to have better image quality and colour. The last Nvidia card i had was a Geforce 8800GTS and the image quality was "ok" on my 22" monitor.... but this may have changed over the last couple of years, and having a motherboard with an X58 chipset means i can have either Crossfire or SLI :-o (i was limited to just ATI Crossfire on older Intel based boards).

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ Powerpie5000

Of ousre it's fair Mr. I had this argument with Harrison elsewhere & stop this kind of waffling cr4p. Go Here & tell me different please. Look @ the FPS under Crysis. The game is a system killer at any level & the GT300 series isn't even released in answer to the BS we keep seeing about bloody ATI & their cr4p 5870.

What WILL be fair is a new comparison when nVidia have released their card to compete against the 5870....simple as.

The link above is a picture without the need for drawing one. 100W difference is nothing in todays bloatware/hardware vista/W7 cr4p & it has to stop. The massive processing power of ATI's shader capabilities over Nvidia's is just falling over itself, picking up threads that require re-processing. Ask Zetr0 about this & he'll put you right.

Anyone wanting to buy a 5870 from ATI should keep their money in the bank & wait to buy the GT300 series or just throw it all in the wind & buy a GTX295. - Game over.

Kin

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
That video shows the advantage of having dual cores in the GTX295.... so if the 5870 had dual cores then it would annihilate the GTX295. The 5870 only uses 1 core but still puts up a good fight with the dual core GTX295 :)

I'm guessing the GTX300 will have at least 2 cores so then it would be better to compare that to a 5870x2 and not a plain single core 5870. There are still driver optimisations to be made for the ATI card and probably the GTX300 when it gets released.

Top Bottom