Not open for further replies.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hiyas there my fellow Amibayers,

Alas some of you might of noticed I have been quite about here for a while, alas this is due to the forth dimensional folding of my primary laptop and (yes you guessed it) Vista Ultimate (Crap) 64!!!

this Lappy has been an absolutely (insert expletive(s) here) Nightmare, with divers unable to install.

needless to say I wanted to install a good solid XP64, alas I need service pack 3 to make that happen or I cannot install ANYTHING on the HD Audio Bus.... now some of you fellow savvy techs out there already know... there is NO XPSP3 for XP64bit... and even the HD Audio Bus Patches are not available for the 64bit either....

add to this that XP even with Service Pack 2 intergrated wont install on this laptop, CRC failure on install
(mainly due to copying data from one location to another, devices are find just driver isn't)

oh I tell you its like trying to live without an appendage... no dev work, no prototyping, no office work, nothin'

even considered installing a distro of Linux.... yep... thats how unusable my laptop had become... and to be fair how desperate I was....

anyway... so with much thanks to imnogeek for the pointing and hearing my bubbering on the phone, also like to thank Jabba on the Toshiba forums too and while we are thanking things lets say a big thank you to ISO hunt, as I now have a fully functional XP32 running on my laptop.... okay.... I took a hit with the memory barrier... so i have to just eek onward on 3.2GB instead of 4GB...

But to be fair.... when you factor in the memory usage/footprint of Vista64 Ultimate(crap) I think I have made out on the deal!!! LOL

anyway its good to be back on a system than CAN :D

So..... why all the fuss over a laptop eh? well I really do like this one.....wanna read some laptop specs...?

• Processor
    [list:7m09u0ak]
    AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-80
    Frequency 2100mhz (each core obviously)
Memory

• 4GB Internal memory type DDR2 RAM (800 MHz)
    Maximum internal memory 8.192 GB (lol not on XP32 m8!)
Graphics Adapter

• ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650 supporting HyperMemory™ technology
    External Video Mode upto 2048 x 1536 pixels @ 85/75/60Hz
    512MB GDDR2 dedicated VRAM + (upto 2.302 MB graphics Hyper™ with 4 GB installed )
Display

• Toshiba TruBrite® WXGA+ TFT High Brightness display
    Display diagonal 15.4 "
    Display resolution 1.440 x 900 pixels
    Contrast ratio (typical) 500:1
Audio

• A Toshiba Bass Enhanced Sound System with Dolby® Sound Room™ based on a Conexant CX20561 Sound Processor
    Built-in Harman Kardon® stereo speakers
    24-bit stereo @ 192KHz Sampling
Storage

• 2.5" SATA 2 250GB HDD
    SATA 2 DVD Super Multi (Double Layer) drive / DVD / DVD Super Multi (Double Layer) drive 2MB cache
Networking

• Wireless network support 802.11b/g/Draft-N
    Atheros AR9281 Wireless Lan
    Marvell Yukon 10/100 fast LAN
    Blue Tooth
I/O ports

• 1 x integrated 1.3 Megapixels Web Camera with built-in microphone
    1 x headphone (stereo)
    4 (Left 2, Right 2) x USB 2.0 (supporting USB Sleep-and-Charge)
    1 x SP/DIF (optical) shared with headphone socket
    1 x external microphone
    1 x i.LINK® (IEEE 1394)
    1 x TV-out (s-video)
    1 x RJ-45; 1 x RJ-11
    1 x external monitor
    1 x DC-in
    1 x HDMI-CEC (REGZA-Link) supporting 1080p signal format
    1 (shared with one USB port) x eSATA
    1 x 5-in-1 Bridge Media slot
    [list:7m09u0ak]
    supports SD™ Cards
    Memory Stick®
    Memory Stick Pro™
    MultiMedia Card™
    xD-Picture Card™
[/list:u:7m09u0ak]
[/list:u:7m09u0ak]

Did I mention it was in piano black... with lit up touch sensors for media keys etc.... no.... wanna pic?

l_01080772.jpg

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Re: YAY - Back on 100%

Its good to be back my friend, thank you..... now where is that bute link got to?!

aha!!!

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce

Hi Zet, been awfully quiet without your over-optimistic shouts about piccies of the hardware and stuff like that ;)
Welcome back Maestro, enjoy the spam. :p

PS: Visit the EAB OTS once in a while too ;)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

........ It would seem i spoketh too soon....

after an install of Partition Magic.... I am now left with NTLD.driver missing / not found on boot..

i have tried recrating the install, repair..... copying ntld etc from the CDROM to the drive and...well.... Imma on my other laptop..... gawd is it slowwwww!!!!!

.....ho-hum off to the city for meal with the missues and then a re-install tonight......

....... yes.... that was me you heard screaming in the distence!!!!

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901

you may want to consider freebsd's 64-bit, which is VERY good, or you could get 7's 64-bit edition. Also, look into OpenSolaris, they have a superior filesystem, ZFS!!!! Anyway, good 2 have u back!

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ Z

Boot from the XP CD and when it checks the hard drive, press R for a Repair Install. You should then drop down into Recovery Console and the command you need is Fixboot.

The most probable cause is that Partition Magic screwed up the Master Boot Record on the hard drive; Fixboot should repair the boot sector and get you back in.

:wink:

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Merlin said:
@ Z

Boot from the XP CD and when it checks the hard drive, press R for a Repair Install. You should then drop down into Recovery Console and the command you need is Fixboot.

The most probable cause is that Partition Magic screwed up the Master Boot Record on the hard drive; Fixboot should repair the boot sector and get you back in.

:wink:

Yep, that is it. I've spent my fair share of time banging my head against that problem.

Google will tell you heaps about [Fix “NTLDR is Missing”]. The problem is two part I think. One is the MBR, the other is the ntldr.com file.

Look and see if This helps, Or This

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

Appreciate your help guys, alas I had tried all those methods before posting the problem here...

its not a worry, I just got back from a night out in the City (Norwich) with the missues and our little girl... had a wonderful meal (Pedro's) and then went on to see the latest Harry Potter movie... and dispite what you may of heard, its a f******ahem.... truely fantastic movie!

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

That would explain why I was getting the Answerphone last night :ROTFLOL2:

Sounds like a really good night Zeet's

Speak soon
TC :D

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

The latest Potter film is really good. Much better than the last one, which I found a bit slow and boring. Some great effects and action in this one and it has a good ending making you want to see the next one. :)

Regarding Vista 64-bit. I'm not sure why so many people seem to hate it. I've been running Vista Ultimate 64bit since March (when I built my new PC) and I think it is great. I do agree that it requires a fast machine with a lot of ram to get the most out of it, but it runs really well for me. Although my system is quad core at 3GHz with 8GB of ram and 4TB of HDD space! ;)

When Vista first came out I didn't like it at all, like many others here, but it was due to systems not being powerful enough to run it well. Now systems are powerful enough to run it well that has all changed. I've yet to find any software released in the last few years that doesn't work, expect for a couple of things that don't run on Vista 32bit either.

Going back to XP now definitely feels like a backwards step. XP is now a very stable OS but I do now prefer Vista. The file manager is a huge leap forward from XPs, as is the search functionality and many little visual additions, making it just nicer to use.

One thing I will say is that it isn't really ideal for laptops, although regardless of what anyone says, I still don't see laptops as being as good as full systems. There are still limitations, and I've yet to use a Windows based laptop that it truly stable, regardless of the OS version running. Which is why I don't use laptops except when I really need to.

XP x64 on the other hand was never well supported as you discovered when trying to run it. That is an OS to avoid.

I would recommend you give Windows 7 a try. It is free to download and use until the middle of next year after all. It is more lightweight on resources and ram than Vista or even XP. Plus it is fully compatible with all Vista drivers.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

I'm Sorry Harrison I have to vehemently disagree with you about Vista and Windows 7.
I just cannot see the Justification for the over inflated minimum specs required to run these operating systems.
It is supposed to be a platform upon which you run your software, NOT a means to itself.
It may have an improved filemanager and search function, but are the significant cost increases in buying the OS itself AND the required upgrades to run it justified?
I would say most definitely not.
Considering the vast overwhelming majority of people use their PCs for online entertainment, these OS's are massively over-engineered to be able to do that.
I have been deeply unimpressed with Vista, and the Windows 7 'lifeline' could almost have been seen as a cynical marketing tool where it not such a desperately needed remedy to an OS that Microsoft realised could have actually sunk them.

silverf0x0

AmiBayer
Country
Italy
Region
Lazio, LT

@r0jaws
I totally agree with you, it's nothing but a business plan agreement between various major IT coorporations in order to make this business to continue go on...
At last Vista has been a failure which even MIcrosoft it's well aware of, we'll see what they'll do for the next OS as even Google is going to enter this market with their Chromo OS.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

I would trust Google even less than M$ when it comes to software products. Google's only real aims and goals with any software is the collection of user data, information and search terms. They are just creating these applications and OSs as new vehicles to expand this further, to utilise for advertising and marketing to extort even more money from their customer base.

I do however agree that if an OS were only being used for internet browsing, email and office applications then any version of Windows since 98 is overkill. A lightweight Linux based OS such as the one seen with the Eee PC is probably the best solution for such needs. And in fact the perfect lightweight OS for the task would be Workbench 3.1!

But for a full blown OS I do now like Vista x64, and I never thought I would be saying that last year. It had issues at the start, as did XP. But the service packs have fixed those. Driver support is good, and most device installation is very seamless. Many people didn't like the changes from XP. I find them a real improvement and the OS speeds up my workflow compared to XP. As with most things, the OS we use is a personal choice. If I wasn't a PC gamer, and didn't use a lot of current design, video and 3D applications then I probably wouldn't need or use Vista. I might still be using Windows 2000.

Regarding system resource usage. Many people complain that Vista eats up most system ram into virtual memory. However this isn't really true. The OS allocates a lot of the physical member after booting up, but it releases it as and when needed by applications, so it isn't really using it.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

WHOOT Back and faster than EVER!!!!!

now... Harrison .... in a friendly way I do love you, your a great guy and fellow kindred deveoper.... but this Love for Vista is just plain wrong.... and its runing our relationship.... and after the nightmare I have been having.... I may have kick you in the toes for the Vista love you display here!!!!

I have been a low-level hard-core programming kinda guy.... if it wasn't for my idle lazyness I wouldn't used a GUI, i would live happily in command line... but hey.... I am lazy :D but not so lazy that I want an OS to do everything for me and then complain that what I want to do is not SYSTEM legal.... if i want to download to the C drive, I bloody well WILL!!!

I am sorry..... the bells and whistles of vista turned swiftly into bars and cell blocks, I was even at odds and fighting the navigation system... it was a true nightmare.... and one I am glad to the see the back of.

Dont get me wrong Vista has its uses..... ..... ..... na..... naaaaa .... its useless..... I have a Dev XP64 box in the office its awesome (when you get the f'ing drivers) and also my 3TB filestore/filesever is also XP64.... wonderfull rock steady online now... err... lemmie look..... over 432 hours 0 downtime... (just over a couple weeks ago i put in some more harddrives) still my Media / Gaming PC has Vista64 on it.

now my lappy is running XP again, and now I can DEV in peace.... no longer getting angry at yet another navigation cockup or pain in the f-ing ass request asking me IF i am sure for the 300th time.... I am glad to be rid of that pointless UN-Operating system!

an Operating system should be their for the user NOT for its own status!.... the smaller the foot-print the better.... I still love using Workbench and that fits on 1 880KB Floppy disk!

.....sigh.... now there was a Deving platform.... y'know.... them were the days..... now I have the choice.... a Linux Dstro of 4.5GB or Windows Distro of..... nearly 30GB .... please not the latter STILL doesn't get it right...

I do see the future 15 years there will be REAL OS wars..... now that should be good :D

I wonder what would happen to the world economy should Microsoft fall...... I am sure I am not the only one here that dreams of such a date? lol

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

I am pretty much in agreeance with r0jaws on this and am using Vista 'cause it was time for me to move on, I have a windows 7 upgrade option and look forward to October :)

May I suggest that if any of you are using Vista and would like to remove the "are you sure" pop up or tweak it in any other way then this site is a must.. http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-vista/

Gary

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Zetr0 said:
now... Harrison .... in a friendly way I do love you, your a great guy and fellow kindred deveoper.... but this Love for Vista is just plain wrong.... and its runing our relationship.... and after the nightmare I have been having.... I may have kick you in the toes for the Vista love you display here!!!!

:LOL: I thought you might say something like that. ;) :whistle: :thumbsup2: :ROTFLOL2:

Zetr0 said:
...complain that what I want to do is not SYSTEM legal.... if i want to download to the C drive, I bloody well WILL!!!

I am sorry..... the bells and whistles of vista turned swiftly into bars and cell blocks, I was even at odds and fighting the navigation system... it was a true nightmare.... and one I am glad to the see the back of.

The UAC control is a very annoying aspect of Vista, that is very true. It is however very easy to fully disable it from the User Accounts control panel, then you will never see it again.

As for navigation. Most system files are laid out exactly like XP and 2000, so no problems there. The new file manager navigation is quite different to the old one that dates back to Windows 95, but I prefer it greatly myself. Why? That is easy. It uses a very similar method to the PC version of Directory Opus which really pleased me when i saw it. It can be a little confusing to those not used to this system, but it is much faster and more intuitive to move around the file system compared to before.

Zetr0 said:
an Operating system should be their for the user NOT for its own status!.... the smaller the foot-print the better.... I still love using Workbench and that fits on 1 880KB Floppy disk!

.....sigh.... now there was a Deving platform.... y'know.... them were the days..... now I have the choice.... a Linux Dstro of 4.5GB or Windows Distro of..... nearly 30GB .... please not the latter STILL doesn't get it right...

Totally agree. I mentioned in one of my posts above that for general internet, email and office work nothing more than a tweaked Workbench 3.1 would really be needed. People who only use PCs for these purposes don't need most of the stuff built into Vista, or even most Linux distros.

I've been arguing for years that for the general home computer user we don't need advanced OSs like Windows. We need streamlined optimised OSs that can run on low power consuming systems. We know from looking as Workbench as an example that you can create a fully featured good multitasking OS that can run on a very low system spec. It is mad to think that many home users just typing emails and surfing the internet are today using system with dual core processors, 2GB+ of ram and 250GB+ HDDs. None of which they are actually utilising. They could just as easily run the same functionality on a well optimised and streamlined OS using a 400MHz processor with 256MB of ram and a 60GB HDD.

But for me, Vista does offer benefits over even XP. Yes it has a huge installed footprint, and that keeps expanding greatly as you use the OS. A big, I would call it bug, is the way Vista has a very strange way of storing backups of every dll and other version of system file that ever existing on the system. So everytime you update something or a new Windows update is downloaded and installed, the old version is archived away in a new folder deep in the Windows directory. It is not unusal to find an installation of Vista using 10GB of HD space just with these old versions of files. That is definitely a bad design flaw in the OS. But I know about it, and can easily clear it all out regularly and remove the problem. It isn't good for general home users though who are not computer savy because they will suddenly find their HD out of space with no logical reason why.

So yes, Vista has its flaws, but I know how to work with and fix them, and so I'm happy using it as my main OS.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

Harrison said:
So yes, Vista has its flaws, but I know how to work with and fix them, and so I'm happy using it as my main OS.

I'm going to have to side with Harrison and the Ing here...
Been running it for years with no issues..

1) Regularly delete system restore backups and reclaim 10GB+ HD space :nuts:
2) Empty the Preload folder weekly and watch your system boot lightning fast :LOL:

I've been running the 32Bit version but I wouldn't mind trying out the 64bit sometime..

And as far as Windows 7 is complete is less resource hungry and is obviously based on Vista code but properly optimised....
It's obvious that Vista was a rush release with Win7 being their intended destination but M$ couldn't wait to continue competing with OS X as it was beginning to look better than XP.

Sorry Zeets but I really like Vista and it works for me !!!! :mrgreen:

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce

Same here, been using it since the month of the premiere, even if it was difficult on a 1GB system ;)
After adding extra 2GB of RAM it runs just fine on my pretty old hardware.

But now, windows 7 FTW! (y)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

Blasphemers!!!!

Heretics!!!

its good thing i like you all.... :D

Status