Your top games of recent years

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
If you could pick just 10 games released over the last 10 years what would they be, and why?

It can be any system or console, as long as the game itself was released since 2005.

sir_beaker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Alresford
I don't think I could pick 5.... :LOL:

Bayonetta - Mad action game with nice tight controls, good graphics and a fairly fun storyline.
Bulletstorm - Nothing really original but felt like an old school FPS done well.
Fallout 3 - Really enjoyed the SCI-FI aspect over Skyrim
Batman Arkham Asylum/Arkham City - Both great sandbox games.
Mass Effect 2 - Got rid of the drivel/padding of the original and the story seemed pretty epic

OK, maybe 5 :LOL:

Otherwise I've been pretty disappointing with what I've come across over the last 10 years from the big software houses and I've not really gone into Indie games.

Really couldn't see the point of Last of Us. They story was nice n' all and it looked lovely but the character AI really ruined the experience and it did turn a bit predictable/over sentimental. Other games like the original Assassins Creed got way to repetitive, and games like Gears of War felt like just running between different staged attacks.

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
hmm.

Alan Wake xbox 360, absolutely loved it and wish they would release it on the xbox one.
Tomb raider Xbox One, couldn't put it down, I love exploration games like this.
Grand Theft Auto IV xbox 360, even now I am amazed at the detail in the game running on 512mb ram from a DVD drive.
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD on Wii U loved the original and played the HD version to the end.
super mario galaxy 1 & 2 for the Wii, such a polished game loved them both.
gears of war xbox 360, not many games like this i play to the end, but liked this one. (HD remake on the cards for Xbox One)
Limbo Xbox 360, loved this simple puzzle platformer.
Alien Isolation Xbox One, the atmosphere is perfect actually being scared playing a game.
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light 1 & 2, easy to play puzzler.

Retrograde

Country
Gothenburg, Sweden
Region
Vastra Gotaland
Skyrim - large and fun, plenty to explore, plenty do nice, nice setting. Some awesome mods released for it over the years.
Dark Souls - challenging game, kinda takes me back to oldschool games of the late 80s and 90s. Every small progress feels quite huge.
Guild Wars 2 - MMO that fairly successfully takes the chores and forced choices out of old MMOs out, leaving you with fun world PvP.
Resistance series on PS3 - FPS with a nice setting and set pieces, sence of scale, I just had fun with this even if controls are quirky for me.
God of War series on PS3 - nice epic atmosphere, "mythological" setting and fun game play.

I guess none of these are revolutionary but they worked for me at the time.
With all the 10s of thousands of games that have been made in the last 30+ years it's pretty hard to truly stand out from them all imnho.

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
mmm tricky this.

1) last of us ps4
2) fallout 3
3) forza 4 & 5
4) driveclub ps4
5) elite dangerous (possibly) PC

my knowledge of PS4 games is lacking at the moment , I've been xbox since 2004

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Is Far Cry 4 that good? I loved the first game, but got bored of the second and haven't managed to get into the third very far yet, so haven't even really looked at the 4th yet.

edd_jedi

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
I don't play many modern games, but since 2005 I've spent a decent amount of time playing these (in no particular order)

- Mario Galaxy (Wii)
- Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
- Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
- Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
- Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
- Zelda Windwaker HD (Wii U)

Yes, I'm a Nintendo fanboy :) despite being a dedicated retro-gamer I will always buy any new Nintendo console and play the Mario, Mario Kart and Zelda games. I can't recall any bad ones (well, maybe Mario is Missing on the NES!)

User2921

Deactivated
Deactivated
In no particular order:

Skyrim
GTA V
Fallout 3
FarCry (the one that takes place in Africa)
Bioshock Infinite

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I've played through Crysis 2 several times now and I really like it as a single-player game. Also played through Bioshock Infinite but it never really 'caught' me. GTA IV was also nice, but V should be a lot better. Since I'm not a console gamer I haven't tried it yet, but maybe soon. :)

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
1. FarCry 4 (PS4 Version)

Having never played a FarCry game since disliking the very first one, my brother talked me into trying this on PS4. So glad he did! This game is incredible, and this is from someone who has never played a FPS since original Quake.

Try it!

2. GTA V

3. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (Xbox 360)

4. Sleeping Dogs (PS4)

This one passed me by when it came out a couple of years ago, but it was cheap on PSN so tried it. Another amazing game, it's like GTA but set in Hong Kong and with mostly hand to hand combat instead of gun fights.

5. Red Dead Redemption (PS3)

GTA but in the Wild West! Loved it!

FarCry 4 and sleeping dogs are the only games I have ever played to get platinum trophies on psn!

Regards

Tuxon86

AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Quebec
World of Warcraft
Diablo 3

That is the only "recent" games that I've played.
I'm more into retro gaming now, especially the 16 bit era.

ShambleS1980

Softmodder/Tsoper/Repairer of old xboxes.
AmiBayer
Country
Wales
Region
Gwynedd
assetto corsa.
gta v
skyrim
the batman games
south park stick of truth (dont hate me i enjoy rpg's lol)
yugioh gx card games (i like the card games dunno why)
Fallout new vegas (probably should be higer on my list but i havent replayed in a while)
thief (the new one obviously. dont really play it now but did lots when i got it)
and
alien (although no replay value for me i did enjoy playing it)

Last edited:

sunos4

Country
UK
Region
Scotland
Skyrim - over 2500 hours, sadly.
Fallout 3 - also around 1500 hours play time.
Oblivion - Did a lot of modding for this, mainly cheats though.
The Sims 3 - Seriously, I find designing buildings therapeutic.
Portal I and II - Love the puzzle solving aspects.
Bioshock 1, 2 and Infinite - Still to complete this...

Top Bottom