ZorRAM

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
I was thinking about possibly purchasing one of these. Does anyone have one of these? And could any owners of one of these please give me the Pros and Cons? Or maybe a brief review?

agnes1975x

AmiBayer
Country
Spain
Region
Madrid
@Bootay

Works well as I expected.

Pros:
- New, fast, compact design
- Manufactured 2010
- Plug & play, no drivers

Cons:
- No OS4 support (yet)
- If you need more than 256Mb, you must buy more than one zoRAM (and "eat" more than one Zorro slot).
- There is not a 512Mb version.

For os3.9 128Mb is more than enough, but under Os4.0 is a different story.

Last edited:

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
@Bootay

Works well as I expected.

Pros:
- New, fast, compact design
- Manufactured 2010
- Plug & play, no drivers

Cons:
- No OS4 support (yet)
- If you need more than 256Mb, you must buy more than one zoRAM (and "eat" more than one Zorro slot).
- There is not a 512Mb version.

Thanks Jesusmdc!

I don't care about OS4, I don't see myself needing more than 256mb since I am only using my A4000 as a means to play classic Amiga games via WHDLoad. As a matter of fact, I was only going to get the 128mb version.

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
@Bootay

What's your CPU board? No RAM?

To play WHDLoad games and wok with "standard" apps 128MB is enough.

Time a go I bought one 256MB board for my A4K tower project but only because I want to work with old video/audio/rendering/programming apps.

Best wishes

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
@Bootay

What's your CPU board? No RAM?

To play WHDLoad games and wok with "standard" apps 128MB is enough.

Time a go I bought one 256MB board for my A4K tower project but only because I want to work with old video/audio/rendering/programming apps.

Best wishes

I have a stock 040 with 16 megs of RAM. It is fine for what I use it for but I just thought it would be cool to get the 128mb of RAM just to have it.

I wish I could upgrade the Chip RAM...LOL

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I have to admit - every time I see the Other-Mem at 134,217,728 on my F1240 I never get tired of that... and with my A4000 150,994,944 Other mem is somthing you never get tired of =)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I just thought it would be cool to get the 128mb of RAM just to have it.

And I'd almost but given up hope that this element of Amigan had almost died out! :eek:

VERY Cool Bootay! :nod: (y)

Haha! No, that's what keeps me going. I felt fantastic the first time I had an Amiga that had nine digits of Other Mem! I'm still aiming towards my A4000 having 400MB of FastRAM (16 on-board +128 CPU card +256 ZorRAM) :eek:

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
I just thought it would be cool to get the 128mb of RAM just to have it.

And I'd almost but given up hope that this element of Amigan had almost died out! :eek:

Haha! No, that's what keeps me going. I felt fantastic the first time I had an Amiga that had nine digits of Other Mem! I'm still aiming towards my A4000 having 400MB of FastRAM (16 on-board +128 CPU card +256 ZorRAM) :eek:

Hey I never had an A4000 growing up. I had an A500 and then an A1200 because they were the most affordable models. I always wanted an A4000 back then but they were so expensive. Now that I have one I kind of miss my compact little A1200. But the A4000 is so much more upgradable. I really do miss my A1200 at times though.

My A4000 has actually been a money pit to be honest. I bought it with a ton of video editing hardware/software. After about a month the mouse stopped working and when I opened it up I found that there was some battery damage. I sent it out to Anthony Hoffman and spent some cash getting that fixed along with replacing one of the memory slots. Then I bought an Indivision AGA and shortly after installing it the sound stopped working. (I think I might have shorted something out when I installed the Indivision) I shipped it back off to Anthony Hoffman to get that repaired. Then I got an IDE->CF adapter and got rid of the loud HDDs. So probably so far I put about close to $1,000 into this machine and I am looking to add a ZorRAM and maybe a Zorro IDE card since I am not entirely happy with the speed of the onboard IDE interface. So right there I am looking at an additional $400 or so....LOL

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
go scsi dude! faster and much less CPU overheads

Hey I never had an A4000 growing up. I had an A500 and then an A1200 because they were the most affordable models. I always wanted an A4000 back then but they were so expensive. Now that I have one I kind of miss my compact little A1200. But the A4000 is so much more upgradable. I really do miss my A1200 at times though.

My A4000 has actually been a money pit to be honest. I bought it with a ton of video editing hardware/software. After about a month the mouse stopped working and when I opened it up I found that there was some battery damage. I sent it out to Anthony Hoffman and spent some cash getting that fixed along with replacing one of the memory slots. Then I bought an Indivision AGA and shortly after installing it the sound stopped working. (I think I might have shorted something out when I installed the Indivision) I shipped it back off to Anthony Hoffman to get that repaired. Then I got an IDE->CF adapter and got rid of the loud HDDs. So probably so far I put about close to $1,000 into this machine and I am looking to add a ZorRAM and maybe a Zorro IDE card since I am not entirely happy with the speed of the onboard IDE interface. So right there I am looking at an additional $400 or so....LOL

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
If you can find yourself a Z3 Fastlane thats uber fast SCSI and 64mb (16x 4mb 30pin Simms) Z3 Fast Ram :)

I'm one of the lucky ones who has a latter (or modified) Z3 Fastlane that takes 16mb Simms so theretically I can have 256mb Ram but in practice I've got 128mb Running perfect (8x 16mb 30pin Simms)

192 Shows up (12x 16mb Simms) but has errors and 256mb shows as 208mb and has many errors... I hope to solve the issue, I have a thread going and some suggestions to try so when time allows I'll be working on it again.

Will be good to see my 16mb Motherboard Ram, 128mb CPU Ram (Apollo 4040 & 256mb Z3 Fast :D

Superfrog wwill be soooo much better....

Still yet to play with the SCSI due to SCSI HDD arriving DOA but will invest in another some time soon.

Steve.

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

There's one on ebay now - (BIN link)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fastlane-Z3-S...pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item4aa5244fd2 Fully populated with 64mb Ram

Its cheaper than a ZorRAM + FastATA but its half the Ram (assuming you'd get a 128mb ZorRAM)

Its been on ebay a little while so I'd be tempted to make him an offer if you decided to go that way.

The only thing I'll say is SCSI can be more difficault to setup than IDE and the drives possibly (going on peoples recent experiences) less reliable.

It should be ridiculously fast compared the the native IDE though, I really should try mine out with the SCSI-IDE adapter in my A1200...

Anyway, just another choice for you really.

Steve.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ fitz

Just thought you should know this:

You are the only person I have ever known to have one of these boards. Afaiac, you just re-found the Dodo m8. :nod:

Please please, start a thread about it with the usual array of pics showing hardware & desktop. :bowdown:

Kin

*edit* - Is it a V2.4 board or a modified 2.3??

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
The only issue I have with SCSI is I would have to go back to using HDDs in my Amiga and I prefer to use the CF with no noise and no heat and easy PC transfer. I do have a GVP SCSI card fully populated with RAM that I am not using. Is there a SCSI->CF adapter?! LOL

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@ fitz

Just thought you should know this:

You are the only person I have ever known to have one of these boards. Afaiac, you just re-found the Dodo m8. :nod:

Please please, start a thread about it with the usual array of pics showing hardware & desktop. :bowdown:

Kin

*edit* - Is it a V2.4 board or a modified 2.3??

Hey Kinny, its in my A4000 thread:

https://www.amibay.com/showpost.php?p=119730&postcount=18

And I have a help thread going:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=11369

Need to pull the Z3 Out and check the revision and also want to clean all the Simm Sockets & edge connector, have a look in the threads anyway and enjoy the pr0n ;)

I'm sure you'll have some Guru advice for me too...

Steve.

EDIT:

Just pulled the board, its Rev 2.4 mate.

The only issue I have with SCSI is I would have to go back to using HDDs in my Amiga and I prefer to use the CF with no noise and no heat and easy PC transfer. I do have a GVP SCSI card fully populated with RAM that I am not using. Is there a SCSI->CF adapter?! LOL

Its a little messy but yes, you can run SCSI-IDE-CF, I've been having a play in my A1200T off the Blizzard PPC SCSI:

https://www.amibay.com/showpost.php?p=101215&postcount=80

CF has now been replaced with an ATA HDD which is doing a great job, was all setup via WinUAE linked to my PC :cool:

Last edited:

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
Hmmm...yea I am not super impressed with the speed of the IDE. I mean when I open a folder I can literally watch the icons draw one by one. It seems a little faster now that I am using the CF instead of the IDE HDD, but not by much. I will have to try out the SCSI->IDE->CF and see if it makes a difference. Where did you buy yours fitz? Do you have a link? :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hmmm...yea I am not super impressed with the speed of the IDE. I mean when I open a folder I can literally watch the icons draw one by one. It seems a little faster now that I am using the CF instead of the IDE HDD, but not by much. I will have to try out the SCSI->IDE->CF and see if it makes a difference. Where did you buy yours fitz? Do you have a link? :)

I bought the SCSI-IDE adapter from ebay, its an IO Data but I don't have a link as it was a while back.

The CF-IDE is just a regular CF-IDE with a backplane, any CF-IDE (40pin) will do :)

Word of advice, SCSI-IDE bridges/converters can be pretty expensive so shop around.

Steve.

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
Fitz: Would you say that it speeds things up enough to be worth it? If so I will give it a shot.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Fitz: Would you say that it speeds things up enough to be worth it? If so I will give it a shot.

Yes, its totally worth it. You should get at least 3-5 times the speed with SCSI as you do on the native IDE.

Games like Doom for example which isually take an age to load will open really quick, here is a Video I took of Doom on my A1200 using a FastATA MkIII (Same speed as my SCSI is running 4.7mb/sec.) This is also from a CF card not a HDD.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fitzsteve#p/u/15/2U3Kdj4K0pM

Also this is only an 030 Amiga, so you really can see the difference a faster data trasfer solution makes!

Only thing I will say, you mentioned Icons. There are other reasons your Icons can be drawing slow such as using a high screen depth or an advanced Icon pack.

Anyway, I feel money was well spent on the FastATA and also on my SCSI-IDE bridge these both offer a nice boost.

Oh one last thing, I am using SFS for my file system which I have found to even improve the native IDE by 30% or so - if you're still using FFS think about trying SFS before spending any money as that is free and might just do the trick for you as I'm actually pretty satisfied with the native IDE on my Desktop A4000 getting about 2.2mb/sec with SFS.

Steve.

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
Thanks for the info fitz. Yea I am using AmigaSYS 4 AGA with New Icons which I realize is part of the cause, but damn AmigaOS looks nice this way.

I will try out SFS too. I think I am using FFS still.

hikey

Country
Bristol, UK
Region
avon

Yes, its totally worth it. You should get at least 3-5 times the speed with SCSI as you do on the native IDE.

Games like Doom for example which isually take an age to load will open really quick, here is a Video I took of Doom on my A1200 using a FastATA MkIII (Same speed as my SCSI is running 4.7mb/sec.) This is also from a CF card not a HDD.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fitzsteve#p/u/15/2U3Kdj4K0pM

Also this is only an 030 Amiga, so you really can see the difference a faster data trasfer solution makes!

Only thing I will say, you mentioned Icons. There are other reasons your Icons can be drawing slow such as using a high screen depth or an advanced Icon pack.

Anyway, I feel money was well spent on the FastATA and also on my SCSI-IDE bridge these both offer a nice boost.

Oh one last thing, I am using SFS for my file system which I have found to even improve the native IDE by 30% or so - if you're still using FFS think about trying SFS before spending any money as that is free and might just do the trick for you as I'm actually pretty satisfied with the native IDE on my Desktop A4000 getting about 2.2mb/sec with SFS.

Steve.

Out of interest, is that SCSI speed that you're getting from your Fastlane?
I'm just testing a GVP 4060DT I replaced the simm sockets on and I'm getting around 8.8mb/s from the inbuilt Fast-SCSI II on a CF Card (with SCSI-IDE bridge) which i thought was pretty damn
impressive.

Top Bottom