Zorro II on Amiga 1200

YouKnowWho

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
I've been fascinated as to why in all the upgrades that are out there today, there is no way to add a single Zorro II slot to the Amiga 1200. There was the EyeTech single slot solution, which no one has replicated to date. I feel like there is a "messy" way to have a loose ribbon cable based Zorro II card inside a standard case 1200, especially a 1/2 card like GBAPII+ or of course inside a Checkmate 1500 case.

...so I'm reliving Sept 1993 by reading an old issue of Amiga World and what do I see? Did the stuff mentioned here ever make it to actual product?

Sept1993.jpg

Last edited:

utri007

Country
Finland
Region
Finland
Single Zorro slot is as hard as many and it wouldn't fit inside of Amiga 1200 case. Tower kit would required any way. There is no side connector like Amiga 500 has. There are multiple Zorro II extensions for a Amiga 1200. I have these:

neocdtv

Country
Germany, Munich
Go for the Zorro IV board or got right to a PCI solution i.e. Mediator it is a lot faster and with a Voodoo3 you will get Warp3D.

YouKnowWho

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
I get your suggestions @utri007 and @neocdtv, but that's not the solution I'm hoping for.

Single Zorro II slot would be easier to execute, like the 500 could do a single Zorro II slot. It doesn't require Buster to give a single Zorro II slot. Plus tower and expense of towering and mediators can be avoided - thus, the economics of this are clearly significant and appealing.

1200 is a very popular machine. If such a solution was made, I think it is safe to say many units of the 1200 single-slot Zorro and for example GRAPII+ would be sold. Or it would open a HUGE install base for Z9900 as well or any other RTG solution that would fit.

If it would be an "in-between accelerator" plug in with a ribbon attached it would work. I initially thought this would limit accelerator choices inside the 1200 case. Then I remembered that there is room toward the right of the bottom cover notch to push the accelerator rightward inside the stand 1200 case. Of course if this is done, fully size accelerators won't be removable without fully opening the modified case - not a big issue to gain a Zorro II slot I think. Also, many small accelerator solutions exist, which would likely fit with this plug pushing them back a bit. However, this potential for internal case modification would likely eliminate the concern with accelerators fitting if the Zorro II gadget went in-between motherboard and accelerator by pushing the accelerator to the right a bit.

Goal here would be to avoid the need to tower to get a single Zorro slot in the 1200. If the Zorro II was incorporated into an accelerator with say two 50 pin ribbons plugging into it, it could allow for positioning freedom inside the case, and a card like GRAPII+ would easily fit inside the 1200 case for example. I measured from the back edge of the internal floppy all the way to the left of the case, and to me at least, it looks like there is room here for full length Zorro cards. Of course, it would have to rest on some type of plastic insolation cushion from the motherboard, but it would fit and could be securely positioned. Nothing gets hot here either, and there is air movement. I see nothing but potential, and nothing but a valuable device that would sell in very high quantities, considering most if not all of us have 1200s.

My point, it looks like physically, the 1200 case could take a single full size Zorro slot behind the keyboard inside the wedge case we know and love. The main goal here is to allow RTG solutions inside the 1200 without towering. Certainly, inside the CheckMate1500 there is no issue to accommodate such a use case. That the idea. Technically, I have no idea how it could be done, but these other EyeTech solutions appear to prove the hardware existence, which was simple and replication/tweaking would mean a whole new piece of hardware doesn't have to be designed/invented here. Just ReLoaded.

Top Bottom